Jimmy's Book: VERY Limited Edition!

mstork

Also, and I am just throwing this out there, because I have no idea, has anybody considered the possibility that the book corrects misconceptions about where and when various photos were taken? In the internet age I imagine it is really easy for someone to pass on wrong information to thousands of people, and soon that erroneous info then becomes fact by virtue of the number of people who weren't there who swear the photo depicts something it doesn't. Now that would be a really cool thing for the collectors, if the book actually set the record straight. Maybe it is unlikely, but it would be really cool if true.

While I certainly appreciate your optimism in this regard, fact is the errors are quite egregious to hard core fans/collectors. However, on a more positive note, there's one shot captioned Minneapolis '75 and if that is proven to be correct I believe it would be the first shot from that show in circulation. However, it's quite possibly just a Neal Preston shot from the 21st (Chicago).

The Simpsons analogy you presented, while humorous with points well taken, doesn't necessarily apply to this situation as this book is arguably not intended for casual fans; the expectations - indeed the industry standards - are much higher for a work such as this.

For those who are having stress and have not even laid eyes on the book, unless you are a hardcore collector, don't worry. I am sure for the collectors among us it would be disappointing to see a book which contains, apparently, more than a few errors. For those like me, a huge fan of the band, but not someone who has studied every tour/photo, you will love the book. It is a beautiful work of art and while every picture may not be new, many will be new to you. Those that aren't, are beautifully reproduced for your bookshelf. So relax. You will love it.

While I feel badly for the collectors who were seeking a more perfect book, I am reminded of these lines from the Simpsons after reading the dialogue above:

Doug: Hi, question for Ms. Bellamy. In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes that same rib twice in succession yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we, to believe that this is some sort of a, a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

June Bellamy: Uh, well, uh...

Homer: I'll field this one. Let me ask you a question. Why would a man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

Doug: I withdraw my question.

Database: Excuse me, Mr. Simpson, on the "Itchy & Scratchy" CD-ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without a wizard's key?

Homer: What the hell are you talking about?

June Bellamy: You're a lifesaver, Homer, I can't deal with these hardcore fans!

Just try to relax and enjoy the book and don't worry about a few errors - kinda the same way you love the zep shows with mistakes as much as the flawless nights.

Also, and I am just throwing this out there, because I have no idea, has anybody considered the possibility that the book corrects misconceptions about where and when various photos were taken? In the internet age I imagine it is really easy for someone to pass on wrong information to thousands of people, and soon that erroneous info then becomes fact by virtue of the number of people who weren't there who swear the photo depicts something it doesn't. Now that would be a really cool thing for the collectors, if the book actually set the record straight. Maybe it is unlikely, but it would be really cool if true.

Thank you Dandu, you have put my mind at ease (a little bit!). :D I would describe myself as a huge fan of the music, but I'm no expert on tour dates or anything like that like SteveAJones is. I probably won't even notice the errors as I'll be too busy admiring the beautiful pictures of Jimmy. :wub: What I'm looking forward to most is the quality of a Genesis book (even with its so-called errors).

The Simpsons analogy you presented, while humorous with points well taken, doesn't necessarily apply to this situation as this book is arguably not intended for casual fans; the expectations - indeed the industry standards - are much higher for a work such as this.

Glad it was well taken, as it was made in jest. :D

I totally understand why someone who has studied the band's history as intently as you and some others around here appear to have, would be disappointed with errors, especially given the cost and the author. That said, and I think you have alluded to this, it is a beautiful volume which can be enjoyed regardless, and it is signed by Jimmy Page! I think you will enjoy having it and I look forward to you receiving your copy!

Dandu makes a good point. And ultimately, should it really matter whether a given rock concert was played on the 24th or the 25th of the month? Or if a rock star's guitar was issued in 1958 or 1959? I recall a latter-day interview with Ringo Starr in a collector's magazine: "But Ringo, what about that alternate take of the unreleased B-side from 1965?!?" "Uh, I really don't know..." I don't mean to dismiss the importance of certifiable facts regarding Led Zeppelin - or anything - but when the details don't seem that relevant to even the main people involved, perhaps the rest of us should step back and get some perspective. After all, if any of us had to recount our lives of thirty or forty years ago, how many specific dates, names, and places could we recall exactly, or even bother to look up?

Then again, I haven't paid hundreds of dollars for this thing, so who am I to be so easygoing about it? Happy New Year, everyone.

Dandu makes a good point. And ultimately, should it really matter whether a given rock concert was played on the 24th or the 25th of the month? Or if a rock star's guitar was issued in 1958 or 1959? I recall a latter-day interview with Ringo Starr in a collector's magazine: "But Ringo, what about that alternate take of the unreleased B-side from 1965?!?" "Uh, I really don't know..." I don't mean to dismiss the importance of certifiable facts regarding Led Zeppelin - or anything - but when the details don't seem that relevant to even the main people involved, perhaps the rest of us should step back and get some perspective. After all, if any of us had to recount our lives of thirty or forty years ago, how many specific dates, names, and places could we recall exactly, or even bother to look up?

Then again, I haven't paid hundreds of dollars for this thing, so who am I to be so easygoing about it? Happy New Year, everyone.

Many who did expect if not deserve better. Reconsider the inaccuracies again - shots misdated by a YEAR, incorrect venue AND city, '77 never happened...just unacceptable. I don't mean to come across as pedantic but such things do matter and are of importance, at least to some. There's a big difference between obscure, unreleased b-sides and an exclusive, very expensive, very elaborate, artist-endorsed presentation of a life in music through some of rock's most iconic images in their proper historical context. When all is said and done the principals may well have earned an A, but the opportunity for an A+ (100% accuracy) has been missed.

Sorry, I can't resist posting this.

A good friend reminded me of this old SNL skit. William Shatner really captures what I imagine Jimmy Page's reaction to all of this to be. No offence intended and this is not in any way meant to belittle anyone's point, it is just a really funny skit which may give us all a little perspective. :D

I hope you enjoy it!

SNL Skit

Sorry, I can't resist posting this.

A good friend reminded me of this old SNL skit. William Shatner really captures what I imagine Jimmy Page's reaction to all of this to be. No offence intended and this is not in any way meant to belittle anyone's point, it is just a really funny skit which may give us all a little perspective. :D

I hope you enjoy it!

SNL Skit

That's hilarious Dandu! :lol: Those Trekkies certainly are first-class geeks! I'm just glad I'm not one! :D

On a serious note, I'm still excited about my book arrving despite all the disappointing comments on here. I'm sure I wouldn't have even noticed the errors if they weren't mentioned on here.

the subject apparently was reluctant to share/include too many more personal and obscure shots. Regardless, there is no excuse for the inaccuracies, which are like blemishes on an otherwise fine work of art.

.....SAJ, just what in your expert opinion would be the "obscure" ?

I do realize that focus of the auto-bio is Page's Iconic Career, and I respect his decision likewise, but obscurity, small as it maybe, is a fact of life...I hope The Obsecure has a deserving mention in the Commentary at least, if not in the Photos...I mean no life is complete without obscurity and personal life as well (I don't expect explicit details at all, but a deserving mention as to complete a fact about Iconic and very Beutiful James Patrick Page;

and All of the commentary so far, particularly from the Expert Fans, IMHO, is truly made in Honor of The Perfectionist James Patrick Page, if no one came forward and expressed opinion, that would not do justice to us the fans, Led Zeppelin or Page, Himself.

I look forward to receiving my Beautiful Book.......

add....

inaccuracies can be corrected either by Page at much later date, or by the Expert Fan Community, as they have already identified (we don't live in Age of Dinosaurs now); but It would be more of concern if a Fact was missing altogether, as if it never happened.....

I do hope that the Biography flows in a natural pattern......

.....SAJ, just what in your expert opinion would be the "obscure" ?

Generally speaking any mysterious, intriguing, previously unpublished photographs of Jimmy Page. One example would be pictures of Jimmy in Cairo, Egypt from May 1977 (there aren't any).

I don't claim to have an expert opinion, just an opinion.

Generally speaking any mysterious, intriguing, previously unpublished photographs of Jimmy Page. One example would be pictures of Jimmy in Cairo, Egypt from May 1977 (there aren't any).

I don't claim to have an expert opinion, just an opinion.

....TKS!! Your Opinion is much valued and tks for that photo update, I really thought there was one as per Jimmy's Interview article in the Trivia Section here...

....TKS!! Your Opinion is much valued and tks for that photo update, I really thought there was one as per Jimmy's Interview article in the Trivia Section here...

Haven't gone through the book page by page as I've not received mine yet. If there is now a shot from Cairo I'll consider it a special request granted.:notworthy:

Haven't gone through the book page by page as I've not received mine yet. If there is now a shot from Cairo I'll consider it a special request granted.:notworthy:

........I hope to be enlighted by the Cairo visit as well, at least as commentary.....there is lot be said for "obsecurity".......

........I hope to be enlighted by the Cairo visit as well, at least as commentary.....there is lot be said for "obsecurity".......

There is a picture of Mr. Page in front of the Sphinx, with copies of passport stamps indicating a visit in early May 1977.

I don't know if this picture has been published before. I will let you enjoy it when you receive the book.

There is a picture of Mr. Page in front of the Sphinx, with copies of passport stamps indicating a visit in early May 1977.

I don't know if this picture has been published before. I will let you enjoy it when you receive the book.

aen27, on 27 September 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

Well, it is the 27th in the UK, but around 3 hours to go here. We'll see how this plays out. I can not wait for this. I read the interview about III in Guitar World, and if anyone has read it, they will know that Jimmy said he put in a picture of himself in Cairo by the Sphinx when he went between the first and second legs of the '77 tour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteveAJones on 27 September 2010 said:

Did he say that? The Sphinx? I know he went to the Cairo Museum during that trip (May 1977). If so and it's a great shot that may be worth the price of the book alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thanku:

Thank you so much for clarifying this! I was very disappointed when I read Steve's comments that there wasn't any photo from Cairo, and was going to ask anyone who actually had the book to confirm this. I'm really looking forward to receiving it now, and can I ask for no one on here to post that photo until we've all received our books, thank you! :D

Haven't gone through the book page by page as I've not received mine yet.

Steve, let me say this in the nicest way I can - maybe you want to wait until you receive your copy before spreading fear amongst a group of people who spent a lot of money on this book and are anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I am not trying to be an asshole, but what you have done in this thread is kind of like giving an album review without having heard the album. It is unfair to those who read and respect your opinion, and, frankly, unfair to yourself as you end up saying erroneous things that undermine your credibility.

I look forward to hearing your review when you receive the book - good, bad or indifferent. But, I want to hear YOUR review, not simply a parroting of what someone else has said on some other forum and not erroneous statements about what the book does or does not contain.

I think you might have a very different view about the level of quality of the book once you actually have it in your hands.

Steve, let me say this in the nicest way I can - maybe you want to wait until you receive your copy before spreading fear amongst a group of people who spent a lot of money on this book and are anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I am not trying to be an asshole, but what you have done in this thread is kind of like giving an album review without having heard the album. It is unfair to those who read and respect your opinion, and, frankly, unfair to yourself as you end up saying erroneous things that undermine your credibility.

I look forward to hearing your review when you receive the book - good, bad or indifferent. But, I want to hear YOUR review, not simply a parroting of what someone else has said on some other forum and not erroneous statements about what the book does or does not contain.

I think you might have a very different view about the level of quality of the book once you actually have it in your hands.

Indeed

I second that. My opinion of the book will be based on the book I actually receive which I'm certain will not disappoint.

I haven't posted anything erroneous and my summation of the book's inaccuracies reported thus far was they could simply make the difference between being rated an A as opposed to an A+. Hardly fear inducing commentary to me.

I haven't posted anything erroneous and my summation of the book's inaccuracies reported thus far was they could simply make the difference between being rated an A as opposed to an A+. Hardly fear inducing commentary to me.

Steve,

Genesis Publications' book on Hendrix contained inaccuracies which angered Hendrix fans (my source: Halfin's Diary). Perhaps that is Genesis' Unique Selling Point - let the buyers have hours of fun spotting the errors :rolleyes:.

Sorry, I could have sworn that above you advised that the book contains no shots from Egypt. You then were corrected and said if it does NOW contain one you will consider it a special request granted. That is all that I meant by erroneous.

As for how you can rate the book an A or an F without ever laying eyes on it is more properly a topic for your Zeppelin mysteries thread! :P

With respect to fear inducing, I was only going by what the reactions to your posts have been, and I see people getting nervous as they await their books. I am glad that you clarified your views, because when I saw Joe Pesci demanding his money back, it seemed as though you were indicating your concerns to be much more serious. Obviously I misunderstood. Hopefully this puts everyone a little more at ease.

Sorry, I could have sworn that above you advised that the book contains no shots from Egypt. You then were corrected and said if it does NOW contain one you will consider it a special request granted. That is all that I meant by erroneous.

I've pointed out for years, publicly and privately, and in this thread that there aren't any shots from Egypt in circulation. Back in Sept someone said Jimmy pointed out to an interviewer he was including a shot of himself with the Sphinx, and I said if so that alone may be worth the price of the book (at least for me). I don't have my book yet but if he did then there is one now.

The Pesci clip is just my sense of humor and does not reflect my personal views.

:beer:

Archived