Jimmy's Book: VERY Limited Edition!

mstork

I don't know that firsthand but I've seen it written in other threads. I also remember when Live at the Greek was supposed to be an Internet-only release. Not too long afterwards it was available in record stores, etc.

TVT Records and Genesis are not the same company and they do not have the same business models. I would not infer a business decision of Genesis from something that TVT Records did ten years ago. My understanding of Genesis' business model is that once a book is sold out, that's it.

TVT Records and Genesis are not the same company and they do not have the same business models. I would not infer a business decision of Genesis from something that TVT Records did ten years ago. My understanding of Genesis' business model is that once a book is sold out, that's it.

my intent was not to link the respective business models of Genesis and TVT, I'm talking about Jimmy, who you'd better believe is steering the ship on this book. If Page says jump Genesis will say, "How high?". Unless you believe they'd pass up the chance to make much more money in the future with a much cheaper, mass produced version of this book.

And I've heard they did just that with a George Harrison book in the past. But as I said, I don't know that for a fact so I'll look into it or ask anyone reading this thread (Steve A. Jones, are you out there?) for their insight.

my intent was not to link the respective business models of Genesis and TVT, I'm talking about Jimmy, who you'd better believe is steering the ship on this book. If Page says jump Genesis will say, "How high?". Unless you believe they'd pass up the chance to make much more money in the future with a much cheaper, mass produced version of this book.

And I've heard they did just that with a George Harrison book in the past. But as I said, I don't know that for a fact so I'll look into it or ask anyone reading this thread (Steve A. Jones, are you out there?) for their insight.

mstork, so far as I know there are no plans whatsoever to release a much cheaper, mass produced version of this book.

Having said that, it's disheartening for me to report there are a number of inexcusable errors within the book.

There are tour date discrepancies, and many of the photos are incorrectly dated. Some examples are a (Boston) Tea Party shot being attributed to the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, a Sep 70 "Blueberry Hill" photo captioned LA 1971, and one of the iconic guitar army shots from Oakland 77 (including acoustic guitars) presented among the San Francisco Kezar '73 photos.

The '75 shots are all over the map and aren't even consistent within the context of the information given in the book, like having multiple shots attributed to the same show despite them being in completely different clothing. The '77 shots are out of order in terms of the dates on the tour and most of the NY shots are just ascribed to NY when they could have easily been attributed to specific shows, as most every other photo in the book is. LA is skipped entirely.

Where was the quality control during what was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get it right?

From reading your thread one would certainly get the impression that you believe it. Or was that just another of your exercises in troll-dom?

I Said It Was A Good And Interesting Movie With Lots Of Clues I Never Heard Of, The Clues Are There For Real, Don't Mean Its True, Just Entertaining That's All, Thought You Guys Would Enjoy It I Was Wrong. I Never Said It Was Real Or Believed It So Don't Put Words In My Mouth Please.

87 post in three years makes me a troll I guess.

mstork, so far as I know there are no plans whatsoever to release a much cheaper, mass produced version of this book.

Having said that, it's disheartening for me to report there are a number of inexcusable errors within the book.

There are tour date discrepancies, and many of the photos are incorrectly dated. Some examples are a (Boston) Tea Party shot being attributed to the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, a Sep 70 "Blueberry Hill" photo captioned LA 1971, and one of the iconic guitar army shots from Oakland 77 (including acoustic guitars) presented among the San Francisco Kezar '73 photos.

The '75 shots are all over the map and aren't even consistent within the context of the information given in the book, like having multiple shots attributed to the same show despite them being in completely different clothing. The '77 shots are out of order in terms of the dates on the tour and most of the NY shots are just ascribed to NY when they could have easily been attributed to specific shows, as most every other photo in the book is. LA is skipped entirely.

Where was the quality control during what was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get it right?

Have you actually received your book Steve?

It's certainly disheartening to read that it contains such blantant errors. We come to expect this from mass produced authorised books on Zeppelin, but not from a book Jimmy was personally overseeing.

Hi everyone. Lots of Christmas cheer out there, eh? Folk gittin' cabin fever from crazy snow storms and being stuck with family all Christmas? Hey, why take it out here when you could throw on some headphones, do whatever you need to relax further, and simply bliss out to your favourite music? It's a scientific fact that 18-22 minutes of your favourite music helps release endorphins. Like one side of a great album. It reduces stress and encourages grooviness, good humour and maybe - just maybe - gets you in the mood to get fucking laid. They don't call it Rock and Roll for nuthin'.

Moving on, regarding Genesis Pub. having their limited editions later mass-produced: they have certainly done this with George Harrison's I Me Mine, which originally came as a signed, limited edition of 2,000 numbered copies in 1980. It was hand-bound in leather. This book was later republished sometime in the 1980s and reprinted again in the early 2000s with a new introduction by Harrison's graceful widow, Olivia. I have a lovely hardback Simon & Schuster USA copy of I Me Mine (unknown printing date but it looks from the 80s and was in its 10th printing, and being printed still in hardback). I have never seen an original copy of I Me Mine but it seems that all the original's content was faithfully reproduced in subsequent printings for the swarming masses.

So which of us here can really say whether the same won't happen with Jimmy Page?

Lastly, while I am naturally grateful that I was able to buy the book - ah bless my ever-in-the-red credit card - I have some reservations about some of the content. More about some editorial decisions, which seem a little odd to me, having worked in copyediting, printing and publishing. I've only skimmed the book once last Thursday, so I'd like to immerse myself in it for a long evening and see how it feels. Then I may report back further.

Meanwhile, you may enjoy my

to the arrival and opening of Jimmy Page last Thursday. It is safe for work, children etc - just check your speaker volume first (and turn it up).

Peace and love, y'all.

Moving on, regarding Genesis Pub. having their limited editions later mass-produced: they have certainly done this with George Harrison's I Me Mine, which originally came as a signed, limited edition of 2,000 numbered copies in 1980. It was hand-bound in leather. This book was later republished sometime in the 1980s and reprinted again in the early 2000s with a new introduction by Harrison's graceful widow, Olivia. I have a lovely hardback Simon & Schuster USA copy of I Me Mine (unknown printing date but it looks from the 80s and was in its 10th printing, and being printed still in hardback). I have never seen an original copy of I Me Mine but it seems that all the original's content was faithfully reproduced in subsequent printings for the swarming masses.

So which of us here can really say whether the same won't happen with Jimmy Page?

Thank you Triplet Kick, this is what I was referring to. And to clarify my earlier point, I never claimed there were presently plans afoot to do this with Jimmy's book. Just saying Genesis has done it before, so you never know!

Have you actually received your book Steve? It's certainly disheartening to read that it contains such blantant errors. We come to expect this from mass produced authorised books on Zeppelin, but not from a book Jimmy was personally overseeing.

I've yet to receive my copy, but the inaccuracies I've alluded to have been fully substantiated. Quite frankly I'm livid about those errors. It's inexcusable in this day and age when the correct information is just a few mouse clicks away, not to mention those of us willing to contribute any support as necessary to get it right for Jimmy's sake - and ours.

:mad:

I've yet to receive my copy, but the inaccuracies I've alluded to have been fully substantiated. Quite frankly I'm livid about those errors. It's inexcusable in this day and age when the correct information is just a few mouse clicks away, not to mention those of us willing to contribute any support as necessary to get it right for Jimmy's sake - and ours.

:lol: I'm glad you spoke up and told the truth Steve, many are reluctant to express that. And it well should be brought up.

And I totally agree. With Jimmy's past projects being known to be required to be perfection, this is very puzzling and I'm sure upsetting to fans. Some more than others, but when we crack our brains here to find exact info, especially you THE archivist, it is inexcusable.

DavidZoso could have had all that at his fingertips. B)

Steve, Seasons Greetings to you.

Regarding the inaccuracies, what was the point in using Halfin as a consultant? He was not on the road with Jimmy during the Zeppelin years , so would not able be to verify the dates and places through first hand knowledge. Additionally, there must be a good part of the mid-seventies to mid-eighties where Jimmy didn't know which planet he was on (take a look at the footage of him playing 'Stairway' at the ARMS gig in the US with Clapton and Beck, and you will see what I mean)! However, both JP and Halfin know people who would have willingly substantiated the info.

I have looked over at the 'Planet Zeppelin' site to see the reaction of any book recipients. One of their members says that he has seen 95% of the photos before. To my mind, that is also very disappointing. For the price tag attached to this book, a concerted effort should have been made to ensure that the buyers got more 'never seen before' photos, even if this meant Jimmy including some of his personal photos, like baby photos, wedding photos - what harm would it do? (I know it was meant to be a career photobook, but it would have given the buyers more value for money.) I know for a fact that Jimmy has in his possession a photo taken at Knebworth of the four Zeppelin wives/partners standing together(I'd pm'd you about this), yet it seems that the book has the same old photo, which we have all seen many times, of him and Charlotte after they get out of the helicopter.

I have been deeply unimpressed with what I have heard about Genesis throughout this whole saga. They knew this book would be a sellout, and yet did not go into production until they had all the buyers' money in. From what I can gather, they have not been brilliant at keeping the buyers informed throughout this long process as to what is going on, leaving buyers to take the initiative, and contact Genesis. All they had to do was send a monthly email to buyers keeping them informed of progress.

I know you have said to me before that you are not interested in doing a Zeppelin book, but what I will say (and I know I have said it to you before), that you are very particular about getting detail as accurate as possible. It's a shame that the collaborators on this book did not do likewise.

Very little details are known as far as consultations are concerned - The only known fact is that over 60 or 70 photographers were consulted.

I am hoping that we will get glimpses of "behind the Scenes" not for invasion of privacy but for general knowledge as to how this Project came together, I am not interested in Photographers or the Printing Press, I am wondering about the musical circle that is associated with Led Zeppelin.

Richard Cole is my greatest interest, I hope he will comment - I mean is there anyone with more resources and knowledge than Richard Cole?

I have very sincere respect and love for Page and waiting for this beautiful book despite of it;

further, there are many more archives that could have been searched for never seen photos, I know for a fact.......

:lol: I'm glad you spoke up and told the truth Steve, many are reluctant to express that. And it well should be brought up.

And I totally agree. With Jimmy's past projects being known to be required to be perfection, this is very puzzling and I'm sure upsetting to fans. Some more than others, but when we crack our brains here to find exact info, especially you THE archivist, it is inexcusable.

DavidZoso could have had all that at his fingertips. B)

Couldn't agree more Hotplant ! If all the resources on this site were to be pooled there is no doubt in my mind that it would produce a fabulous book !

I'm still hoping that it is a 'fabulous book' despite these oversights. I guess we'll all soon find out. :unsure:

I hope so too :) . Even though I'm not purchasing a copy, plenty of people have shelled out a pretty penny or two and I'd hate to see anyone be disappointed. I just happen to think that this site has enough resources to produce a book that would cover all the bases ( with band approval ) in a manner that would be worthy. Now that is something that I would shell out for :D

Couldn't agree more Hotplant ! If all the resources on this site were to be pooled there is no doubt in my mind that it would produce a fabulous book !

If I had the right people like Steve A and a few others and we had the backing for publication and the clearance for all the pics etc- I would immerse myself and love to do a book on Zeppelin- mainly about the tours, equipment, etc There have been books like this done on the Who and Queen with the detail I would like to do.

The only known fact is that over 60 or 70 photographers were consulted.

Inadvertently resulting in the book becoming in large part just a compilation of their most iconic shots. This explains why 95% of the content has been seen before. Quite understandable since the subject apparently was reluctant to share/include too many more personal and obscure shots. Regardless, there is no excuse for the inaccuracies, which are like blemishes on an otherwise fine work of art.

This is very sad to hear. I thought we were finally getting a book BY JIMMY PAGE! A book that would delight us ..and a few suprises.

The comments from above are absolutely spot on. There is enough info on this site alone as well as a few members here that could have been contacted to not have the errors that have been mentioned.

I have never in 41 years stated any form of disappointment with anything Led Zeppelin, I hope I can still say this after actually looking at the book when it finally arrives!! :smiley_pray:

All this negivity is concerning me. I too truely hope it is as fabulous as everyone says. I did notice a couple of errors in some of the pictures that have appeared ahead of the book, but hoped it was not all the way through the book. I am getting a worried as I too thought it was Jimmy's book.

For those who are having stress and have not even laid eyes on the book, unless you are a hardcore collector, don't worry. I am sure for the collectors among us it would be disappointing to see a book which contains, apparently, more than a few errors. For those like me, a huge fan of the band, but not someone who has studied every tour/photo, you will love the book. It is a beautiful work of art and while every picture may not be new, many will be new to you. Those that aren't, are beautifully reproduced for your bookshelf. So relax. You will love it.

While I feel badly for the collectors who were seeking a more perfect book, I am reminded of these lines from the Simpsons after reading the dialogue above:

Doug: Hi, question for Ms. Bellamy. In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes that same rib twice in succession yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we, to believe that this is some sort of a, a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

June Bellamy: Uh, well, uh...

Homer: I'll field this one. Let me ask you a question. Why would a man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

Doug: I withdraw my question.

Database: Excuse me, Mr. Simpson, on the "Itchy & Scratchy" CD-ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without a wizard's key?

Homer: What the hell are you talking about?

June Bellamy: You're a lifesaver, Homer, I can't deal with these hardcore fans!

Just try to relax and enjoy the book and don't worry about a few errors - kinda the same way you love the zep shows with mistakes as much as the flawless nights.

Also, and I am just throwing this out there, because I have no idea, has anybody considered the possibility that the book corrects misconceptions about where and when various photos were taken? In the internet age I imagine it is really easy for someone to pass on wrong information to thousands of people, and soon that erroneous info then becomes fact by virtue of the number of people who weren't there who swear the photo depicts something it doesn't. Now that would be a really cool thing for the collectors, if the book actually set the record straight. Maybe it is unlikely, but it would be really cool if true.

If I had the right people like Steve A and a few others and we had the backing for publication and the clearance for all the pics etc- I would immerse myself and love to do a book on Zeppelin- mainly about the tours, equipment, etc There have been books like this done on the Who and Queen with the detail I would like to do.

I hope that at some point, that becomes a reality as I think we've had enough " I was with the band " type books. I would also like to say that in no way am I dissing the limited edition. I sincerely hope that people are happy with it regardless of the cost and any inaccuracies that it may contain.

Archived