The guy who erased Celebration Day

PhxHorn

Has the guy who erased the intro to Celebration Day ever been identified? I didn't see anything about it in a quick search here. I'd figure that all these years later, he ought to be able to come forward without fearing for his life anymore. :rolleyes:

Has he ever commented on the record about it? Did he really flee and never come back, or did he work for them again? Most sources I've read are pretty vague about it. There's even an online trivia site that claims Richard Cole did it, which I figured was wrong as a road manager wouldn't likely be pushing buttons on the console.

Ooops. I think I'm wrong there. I was thinking of "The Rover". Ron Nevison erased an acoustic guitar track on that song that pissed Page off. Let me check though, he may have done both, but I'm probably wrong about "Celebration Day".

Has the guy who erased the intro to Celebration Day ever been identified? I didn't see anything about it in a quick search here. I'd figure that all these years later, he ought to be able to come forward without fearing for his life anymore. :rolleyes:

I think I remember reading or hearing that it was a tape op (likely a newbie fumbling with the MTR's "arm track" switch(s)) that accidentally erased all of Celebration Day.

I don't know if it was a common practice at that time to reuse erased tape, the tape plant I worked at (1980's and 1990's) had a machine with a large conveyor that used magnetic energy to erase whole reals in seconds.

Just curious about where you read about this from. "Hammer of the Gods", perhaps. I remember reading a couple of sentences about this in "Hammer of the Gods". Whether this really happened and is actually true or not I do not know. The reason I ask is because there seem to be alot of people on this website and forum who will "degrade" you for quoting and even reading and mentioning "Hammer of the Gods". I, however, am not one of those people. I will actually credit that book for getting me more into Led Zeppelin than anything before, obviously excluding the Led Zeppelin studio and bootleg material. And that was more than 25 years ago that I first bought it in hardback copy. I say "FUCK YOU" to the people on this forum who "trash" "Hammer of the Gods". Remember, it is only a book. Whether factually right or wrong, I am sure alot of people learned alot from this book. I know I did.

Now, I am ready for any backlash, if some of you may disagree with what I just typed. "Bring It On Home" to me baby...

Just curious about where you read about this from. "Hammer of the Gods", perhaps. I remember reading a couple of sentences about this in "Hammer of the Gods". Whether this really happened and is actually true or not I do not know. The reason I ask is because there seem to be alot of people on this website and forum who will "degrade" you for quoting and even reading and mentioning "Hammer of the Gods". I, however, am not one of those people. I will actually credit that book for getting me more into Led Zeppelin than anything before, obviously excluding the Led Zeppelin studio and bootleg material. And that was more than 25 years ago that I first bought it in hardback copy. I say "FUCK YOU" to the people on this forum who "trash" "Hammer of the Gods". Remember, it is only a book. Whether factually right or wrong, I am sure alot of people learned alot from this book. I know I did.

Now, I am ready for any backlash, if some of you may disagree with what I just typed. "Bring It On Home" to me baby...

it is better for any book to Be rather than banned or burned....

I don't know as I've never read "Hammer of the Gods", how I heard about the tape op and Celebration Day was on a radio show back in the 1990's. It was a King Biscuit or Radio 1 show, I don't remember exactly. They where interviewing Jason Bonham and going over a bunch of old and unreleased stuff.

I found it a decent read. Stairway To Heaven-Led Zepplin unsensored by Richard Cole is also worth a squint.

No "undo" button in the old analog days! We had an engineer erase a whole song of ours once. We're in there with headphones on ready to overdub vocals. It was an old house converted into a studio so there was no window to see the guy, just his voice in the phones. I'll never forget it, he plays part of a song "this one?" No, we say, the one after that....."This one?" No, it was before that one.....(long pause) "Hang on".......We look at each other in horror as it dawns on us. "Uh, sorry guys" !!!!Gone. Erased. An entire basic track, the tricky one, of course. Haha, oh, the memories!

No "undo" button in the old analog days! We had an engineer erase a whole song of ours once. We're in there with headphones on ready to overdub vocals. It was an old house converted into a studio so there was no window to see the guy, just his voice in the phones. I'll never forget it, he plays part of a song "this one?" No, we say, the one after that....."This one?" No, it was before that one.....(long pause) "Hang on".......We look at each other in horror as it dawns on us. "Uh, sorry guys" !!!!Gone. Erased. An entire basic track, the tricky one, of course. Haha, oh, the memories!

Yeah, I've done that a time or two back when I was still using my old Fostex 4-track, I never erased or over recorded a whole song but first part's, yes. I don't know how I didn't do it more than I did as I was recording most all my work by myself and was doing lot's and lot's of over-dub's! B)

I was recording an original album with a band back in '95. The rhythm tracks and vocals had been done, and we were tracking the horn section at that point. The bone player stumbled into the control room and stepped down hard on the conduit that connects the console to the tape machine, stretching the wires. Five tracks went into record mode right in the middle of the tune. Fortunately, there was nothing on those tracks at that particular point.

Archived