Neeed an expert on this one..a bang,jimmy stops playing white summer,foriegn speaking man wants the guy

saltypete

I got this track in with the Bath Festival of 1970 and it doesn't belong there. Robert starts the track saying "heres a number by Jimmy Page" All goes well until a huge bang and Jimmy stops playing. Then,after the crowd roars awhile, a foriegn speaking man,(sounds German) speaks a great length, and I am assuming he is saying Jimmy won't play unless the fireworks stops. The foriegner makes a lot of speeches...then finally in tilted English it sounds like he is saying something like " The thing in the face of Jimmy Page...must show up here before the show goes on....I cannot leave him in the audience.....we want to talk to him,so the neighbours should get him here".Then more German I assume.The tape cuts out after a bit...the audience comes back and the chant sounds like they are saying "sorry sorry..." A brief harmonica sound and thats the end of the tape. I checked the descriptions of the German shows...I may have to check a book to see if there is any mention of this. Any help out there?

I got this track in with the Bath Festival of 1970 and it doesn't belong there. Robert starts the track saying "heres a number by Jimmy Page" All goes well until a huge bang and Jimmy stops playing. Then,after the crowd roars awhile, a foriegn speaking man,(sounds German) speaks a great length, and I am assuming he is saying Jimmy won't play unless the fireworks stops. The foriegner makes a lot of speeches...then finally in tilted English it sounds like he is saying something like " The thing in the face of Jimmy Page...must show up here before the show goes on....I cannot leave him in the audience.....we want to talk to him,so the neighbours should get him here".Then more German I assume.The tape cuts out after a bit...the audience comes back and the chant sounds like they are saying "sorry sorry..." A brief harmonica sound and thats the end of the tape. I checked the descriptions of the German shows...I may have to check a book to see if there is any mention of this. Any help out there?

The June 26th 1980 show in Vienna was interrupted during 'White Summer' when Jimmy was hit in the face by a firecracker. The organizer stepped up to the mic and addressed the audience, requesting the person responsible come up to the stage to have a word with him. After a quick intermission, the band returned to perform 'Kashmir'.

The June 26th 1980 show in Vienna was interrupted during 'White Summer' when Jimmy was hit in the face by a firecracker. The organizer stepped up to the mic and addressed the audience, requesting the person responsible come up to the stage to have a word with him. After a quick intermission, the band returned to perform 'Kashmir'.

Not sure if this is true

Here is the whole announcement translated from its original language: "Achtung! Jimmy asks that you please refrain from throwing firecrackers as it is ruining his heroin buzz ... the only pyro that is allowed is what the band has on stage. Next kraut caught throwing an M80 and Jimmy will turn you into a newt and turn your girl into a slave of the devil. Now sit back and enjoy his 30 minute butchering of White Summer."

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/

Yes! Exactly so. The quality of the sound of the version I was listening to made it sound ancient but I also have a newer cleaner one. Seems I have been collecting faster than I can listen......but I will get old. How bizzare though, and more typical of something from the 70's maybe.Thank you. Hope I don't tire anyone out.

Correct! I have a copy of the show and they are NOT happy!

"Here is the whole announcement translated from its original language: "Achtung! Jimmy asks that you please refrain from throwing firecrackers as it is ruining his heroin buzz ... the only pyro that is allowed is what the band has on stage. Next kraut caught throwing an M80 and Jimmy will turn you into a newt and turn your girl into a slave of the devil. Now sit back and enjoy his 30 minute butchering of White Summer."

heh heh

not that we can condone throwing firecrackers at the stage (i've never really understood that), however after jimmy's piss poor rendition of white summer on many occasions of 77 & 80 tours, i'm sometimes surprised no one tried to jump on stage and chop his guitar up with an axe, to protect the ears of the many

• 3 weeks later...

"Here is the whole announcement translated from its original language: "Achtung! Jimmy asks that you please refrain from throwing firecrackers as it is ruining his heroin buzz ... the only pyro that is allowed is what the band has on stage. Next kraut caught throwing an M80 and Jimmy will turn you into a newt and turn your girl into a slave of the devil. Now sit back and enjoy his 30 minute butchering of White Summer."

B) Somehow I doubt this is the exact/literal translation...even if meant in jest it is kinda libelous...

You have to wonder what indeed happened to the idiot who lobbed the firecracker, though. Lucky for him Richard Cole wasn't allowed on the Europe '80 tour...the guy certainly would have gotten his ass kicked, at the very least!

You have to give Jimmy credit for continuing with the rest of the show, though I bet there was probably a pretty heated discussion backstage about whether or not to carry on with it (ten to one Plant didn't want to and was voted/shouted down). Matter of fact, I reckon the M80 sorta woke Page up, 'cos the rest of the show after the blast is a bit of an improvement over the first half...

It's like on the '77 Louisville show after "Ten Years Gone" when some asshole lobbed a bottle at the stage and hit Page's guitar. :P You can actually hear Jimmy (?) yell out "Fuck off!!!" afterwards, but the band handled it like pros, took a ten minute breather, and carried on. Apparently on the last night in New York and in St Louis, I believe, in '77 they refused to play an encore because firecrackers and/or bottles hit the stage.

No way in hell would you see that kind of thing happen at a concert today. My, how times change. I've been to a concert or two in my day where security was decidedly lax, but in the old days the security must have been asleep at the goddamn switch! Seems like just about anything went in those days.

sounds interesting.

i'm not an expert, but i do speak german..

so if u like to have it translated properly (assuming it is german language),

i could give it a try.

reminds me of my old def leppard days

Archived