Peter Grant

lzzoso

I have been a been a huge fan of Led Zeppelin for over 25 years now. I can say that I think that Peter Grant was and could be considered the "Fifth" member of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy, Robert, John Paul and Bonzo, I am sure would agree to this statement. After all, those four members of Led Zeppelin all shared equal percentages from all record and concert sales with Peter Grant. I am sure most of us know or have read about the 90/10 ratio of profits that went to Led Zeppelin as a live touring entity. All, I would surmise, to the shrewd and clever tactics of one, Mr. Peter Grant.

I am curretnly re-reading the Robert Godwin book, Led Zeppelin: the Press Reports, and on page 339 Robert says this about Peter Grant:

"Yes, but the thing is there's no shit with this management. There's no hoodwinking. Everybody knows exactly what's going on. If anybody played rhythm guitar in this group, it would have to be Peter. The fact that we're still together after all these years has alot to do with him, and the fact that we've come to terms with everything along every step of the way is because of him".

"Peter is ultra-important, the fifth member of the group, and as such we have a highly conscientous attitude about the material that we put out, so too has Peter with the responsibility on his shoulders. He's never run us, he's always put things for us for joint decisions. I know what the alternatives in management can be, even nowadays, and they're far, far removed from our joyous little relationship".

According to this book, Led Zeppelin the Press Reports, from the highly known and respected Led Zeppelin author, Robert Godwin, this above quote was made by Robert Plant to British journalist, Chris Charlesworth, sometime in or around February 14, 1976.

I say that "The Man who Led Zeppelin", Mr. Peter Grant, is and should always be remembered for his Dedication and "behind the scenes" strategy that made Led Zeppelin the biggest and most profitable Rock and Roll band during the 1970's and still to this day.

Hi Dan,all,

I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree about Mr. Grant's dedication to Led Zeppelin.

It's his business tactics that may offer some criticism.

Not picking a fight,but his business tactics was putting money where it belonged,...in the Led wallet! :P

KB

Hi Everyone!

IMHO Peter Grant was brilliant at his job. Everyone made money, but he really cared for these men as well and that kind of Manager was not around at that time and not a lot today as well.

He was an extremely smart business man. He made sure the money went to the proper places IMO. :peace:

Hi Dan,all,

Not picking a fight,but his business tactics was putting money where it belonged,...in the Led wallet! :P

KB

Not picking a fight, but you can't separate Peter Grant the astute businessman from Peter Grant the Thug.

He should have been locked up more than once. He shouldn't get a free pass from criticism because he was Led Zeppelin's manager.

I haven't read too much into Grant's life but I'd like to one day. That being said, he used his over-sized figure and personality as a method to get the best from those who would rather take advantage of a musical group in similar circumstances. I think that saying he single-handedly changed the music business through his methods isn't over-stating it by any means.

Always liked hearing stories about Peter Grant's escapades. He sounds like the sort of person I'd like to meet, almost as much as I'd like to meet the members of Led Zeppelin. And of course, his "no shit" type of management undoubtedly was crucial in helping Led Zeppelin become the icons they were (and are, to many people).

Hi Dan,all,

KB

I can't argue with that. He was probably the first of the "modern day" rock managers.

He succeeded where guys like Brian Epstein failed. But having said that, it doesn't make everything he did acceptable or right. And in the end, Jimmy fired him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dan,all,

I can't argue with that. He was probably the first of the "modern day" rock managers.

He succeeded where guys like Brian Epstein failed. But having said that, it doesn't make everything he did acceptable or right. And in the end, Jimmy fired him.

No,artist getting rip off by record ex's,concert promoters taking in the profit while it was the band they wanted to see.Ask Little Richard how he was treated.

Jimmy fired Peter Grant,when?

KB

Didn't he look after Robert's solo career initially?

I think, and I would have to go back and double-check, but I believe that Peter Grant initially got Robert his terms for a "Solo" deal with Atlantic Records. Not as his manager but contractually (speaking) . I do believe that Peter Grant retired from the music business the day or weeks after John Henry Bonham tragically passed away. Again, I would have to check, but I believe that Benji LeFevre, Robert's own longtime roadie and technician, took over and became Robert's manager and Producer for a couple of albums.

At one of the 75 Earls Court concerts (I was there) Plant made a nice speech about Grant, he spoke about his help and support etc. he then ended with something like "What a man, what a band member in fact"

...I have to watch this part again....it's been sometime since I watched Earl's Court....

I do wish that Peter Grant would have played more active role in preserving Film Footage (despite of being poor quality at times) of Led Zeppelin...it would have been an extra ordinary vision, but nevertheless, Peter Grant changed History of Rock Music...he has earned a Respectable Title as a Rock Manager Must Be...

Never happened. What did happen was most of Peter's management ambitions/duties ended with Led Zeppelin.

according to Richard Cole (grain of salt), Jimmy told him at one of his ARMS shows that he "fired the fat cunt." Could've been Cole or Jimmy talking out his ass, as they were both still using at the time.

according to Richard Cole (grain of salt), Jimmy told him at one of his ARMS shows that he "fired the fat cunt." Could've been Cole or Jimmy talking out his ass, as they were both still using at the time.

When Jimmy checked into the Sunset Marquis in LA on Dec 4th 1983 he placed a call to Richard Cole and they reunited for the first time since the demise of Led Zeppelin at the Rainbow Bar & Grill that night. Richard was

at the LA Forum ARMS concert the following night. I believe what Jimmy said at the time about Peter was

something like "Bollocks him, he's had it" meaning he was disinclined and ill-suited for further management.

When Jimmy checked into the Sunset Marquis in LA on Dec 4th 1983 he placed a call to Richard Cole and they reunited for the first time since the demise of Led Zeppelin at the Rainbow Bar & Grill that night. Richard was

at the LA Forum ARMS concert the following night. I believe what Jimmy said at the time about Peter was

something like "Bollocks him, he's had it" meaning he was disinclined and ill-suited for further management.

Right, and it mattered not anyway as Led Zeppelin had been long dissolved.

Archived