Led Zeppelin as an inspiration to a young aspiring musician

That is quite the list and coincidence as well lol. I would have to say the top spot for me is a tie between dazed and confused, Stairway, and Achilles Last Stand, and then besides those its pretty much a tie between every other song they ever made lol but notables would be Over the Hills and Far Away, The Ocean, Good Times Bad Times, Since Ive Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone, In My time of Dying, and Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp

All good choices. LZ's catalog of music is so vast and really very diverse. Each song is special in it's own right. I never ever get tired of listening to their music. It truly is timeless and spans so many generations. ( OMG, As I write this "When the Levee Breaks" just came on my ipod rotation!!!!!!!!) Gotta go jam.

All good choices. LZ's catalog of music is so vast and really very diverse. Each song is special in it's own right. I never ever get tired of listening to their music. It truly is timeless and spans so many generations. ( OMG, As I write this "When the Levee Breaks" just came on my ipod rotation!!!!!!!!) Gotta go jam.

That is so true, In just the past six months I have listened to stairway more times than any other song in my whole life. And I listened to

The Rover for the first time today and its safe to say it is officially on my list

That is so true, In just the past six months I have listened to stairway more times than any other song in my whole life. And I listened to

The Rover for the first time today and its safe to say it is officially on my list

So glad I could turn you onto "The Rover". It is such an awesome song and not really a well known favorite. There are so many like that, songs that are so good, but for whatever reason just didn't get a lot of attention. You just have to download the entire library or just go out and get every LZ CD and listen to them all. I'm still discovering "old favorites". Ones that I listened to back 'in the day' and re-found. Their music is so timeless.

Also, Page and Plant's "Walking into Clarksdale" is worthy...songs like "Blue Train" and "When the World Was Young" are very very good.

This album is alright, fell well short of expectations I thought and it could have been much better. For some reason Jimmy didn't produce it either? Most High is my favourite off that album.

But hey, I can't complain about the price. Picked it up for a couple of dollars at a second hand cd shop. B)

Edited by tom kid

Hi Tom,

I agree that when I first heard it I was a little disappointed. After it sat on the shelf for a couple of years I pulled it out to listen again and it wound up staying in my car CD player for about 2 weeks solid. The songs grow on you...I urge you to try it again.

hey young page prophecy, i agree with the others that it's so great that new generations are still turning on to zep all these years later. :)

i first heard them when i was about 12, as my older brother had physical graffiti and IV, and i was instantly mesmerized by their sound.

i never got to see them live, as they only came to oz once, and it was about that time, (72 ) and i didn't even know about the tour. :slapface:

have you heard any of jonesys new stuff ( them crooked vultures ) ? i saw them live in sydney a few months ago, and they are great, give them a listen.

and have you heard zeps custard pie? i loooove that song!

cheers and welcome!

hey young page prophecy, i agree with the others that it's so great that new generations are still turning on to zep all these years later. :)

i first heard them when i was about 12, as my older brother had physical graffiti and IV, and i was instantly mesmerized by their sound.

i never got to see them live, as they only came to oz once, and it was about that time, (72 ) and i didn't even know about the tour. :slapface:

have you heard any of jonesys new stuff ( them crooked vultures ) ? i saw them live in sydney a few months ago, and they are great, give them a listen.

cheers and welcome!

I love TCV!

Saw them in February, it was the night of my life!

And, the guy we were standing with was die-hard LedHed, and he got me down in the mosh pit, about 4 feet away from Jonesy!

I flipped OUT!!

But I digress.... ;)

You all know my story...(I've posted it many times in the past)

Saw the RAH shows when I was 12 and fell in love. :D

Hey, young page prophecy, I totally agree about our generation's music being total bullcrap...

Welcome aborad.

Being a Led Zeppelin fan is truly a journey... ;)

hey young page prophecy, i agree with the others that it's so great that new generations are still turning on to zep all these years later. smile.gif

i never got to see them live, as they only came to oz once, and it was about that time, (72 ) and i didn't even know about the tour. slapface.gif

cheers and welcome!

Hey slave to zep,

I just listened to custard pie and its a great song, but then again i say that everytime i hear a zep song for the first time. It amazes me how many different styles and songs they can take on and rock the shit out of everyone.

Also, I listened to some TVC and the combination of JPJ and Dave Grohl is brilliance. Its crazy how Jones can still keep it goin like he is. One of the greatest musicians of all time

I love TCV!

Saw them in February, it was the night of my life!

And, the guy we were standing with was die-hard LedHed, and he got me down in the mosh pit, about 4 feet away from Jonesy!

I flipped OUT!!

But I digress.... wink.gif

You all know my story...(I've posted it many times in the past)

Saw the RAH shows when I was 12 and fell in love. biggrin.gif

Hey, young page prophecy, I totally agree about our generation's music being total bullcrap...

Welcome aborad.

Being a Led Zeppelin fan is truly a journey... wink.gif

Hey Mrs. Zeppelin, i like that name haha

Our generations music, especially mine, as in songs that are considered "hits" today, is just ridiculous. I heard a song last night that went to the tune of eeenie meenie miney mo catch a tiger by the toe, and he actually says that in the song except Jackie instead of tiger. It just goes to show how the only reason music is made today is to make money, they will put anything on the radio.

And you couldnt be more correct about the Journey. Every single zep song is a journey in itself. But I just wish i could explain to you how literally that statement applies to me. I was on the greatest Journey of my life so far while I wrote this post...If ya know what i mean wink.gif haha

Also, I dont know your story, I would love it if you enlightened me, Thanks!!

P.S. TCV is awesome. Its insane how at his age Jones can still inspire a mosh pit

...This is a excellent thread, a great exchange with the Veterans and The Young....I hope the posters can maintain record breaking understanding...

On my part, I give benefit of doubt to The young Ones, for they have not been "There", where we The Veterans once have and we all think differently and come from different experiences of life...

...This is a excellent thread, a great exchange with the Veterans and The Young....I hope the posters can maintain record breaking understanding...

On my part, I give benefit of doubt to The young Ones, for they have not been "There", where we The Veterans once have and we all think differently and come from different experiences of life...

This is an excellent thread, I couldn't agree more.

You know after finding this forum (I've really only been participating for a few weeks now), I really got to thinking about LZ and what makes their music so special. I'm a fan from long, long, long ago, when I was young and before anyone really knew the full impact that Zeppelin was going to have on rock music or music in general.

Anyway, I got to thinking 'why do I like Led Zeppelin so much?' I think it's because so many of their songs have what I like to refer to as 'the light and dark' or the 'heavy and lite', the 'hard and soft'. To me, and this is just MHO, Jimmy Page was a genius the way he mixed the hard and soft. So many songs either start out soft and melodious, then really crank it, or else they start out with a bang, then mellow out some, then come back in with some more 'in your face' heavy stuff. Their songs had so many different levels. Does that make sense?

Also, so much of their music, or lyrics, make you think. What does this song mean? What are they singing about? Does it make sense? Should it make sense? Maybe not. That is strictly for the listener to interpret. So many of their songs were thought provoking, but at the same time hard core rock and roll. Again, a contradiction. I love contradictions!

Believe me, I'm not a musician and not in the least musically inclined. I just know that I've listened to a lot of music in my life and for me Led Zeppelin is at the top of my list and I guess I'm just wondering 'why is that?'.

(Please excuse the ramblings of a middle age woman who has had too much wine.)

This is an excellent thread, I couldn't agree more.

You know after finding this forum (I've really only been participating for a few weeks now), I really got to thinking about LZ and what makes their music so special. I'm a fan from long, long, long ago, when I was young and before anyone really knew the full impact that Zeppelin was going to have on rock music or music in general.

Anyway, I got to thinking 'why do I like Led Zeppelin so much?' I think it's because so many of their songs have what I like to refer to as 'the light and dark' or the 'heavy and lite', the 'hard and soft'. To me, and this is just MHO, Jimmy Page was a genius the way he mixed the hard and soft. So many songs either start out soft and melodious, then really crank it, or else they start out with a bang, then mellow out some, then come back in with some more 'in your face' heavy stuff. Their songs had so many different levels. Does that make sense?

Also, so much of their music, or lyrics, make you think. What does this song mean? What are they singing about? Does it make sense? Should it make sense? Maybe not. That is strictly for the listener to interpret. So many of their songs were thought provoking, but at the same time hard core rock and roll. Again, a contradiction. I love contradictions!

Believe me, I'm not a musician and not in the least musically inclined. I just know that I've listened to a lot of music in my life and for me Led Zeppelin is at the top of my list and I guess I'm just wondering 'why is that?'.

(Please excuse the ramblings of a middle age woman who has had too much wine.)

...Hi Justawoman, welcome, Led Zeppelin to me is like a "mischevious" teenager yet Wise and intellectual, timeless youth forever...Robert and Jimmy are passionate about cultures around the world and this is the true essence of their memorable compositions which continue to attract generations again and again, it is their passion for humanity that touches the hearts of people.....

...back then as a teenager it was difficult for me, growing up in two extreme cultures (and I understand how difficult it is for youngsters today too, they have their own challenges, as expressed by Young Proph. here, but in my early twenties, as I began to look back in life, I realized how incredible the era was, most definitely Led Zeppelin were and remain synonyms with the 70's Youth/Culture......

...Hi Justawoman, welcome, Led Zeppelin to me is like a "mischevious" teenager yet Wise and intellectual, timeless youth forever...Robert and Jimmy are passionate about cultures around the world and this is the true essence of their memorable compositions which continue to attract generations again and again, it is their passion for humanity that touches the hearts of people.....

...back then as a teenager it was difficult for me, growing up in two extreme cultures (and I understand how difficult it is for youngsters today too, they have their own challenges, as expressed by Young Proph. here, but in my early twenties, as I began to look back in life, I realized how incredible the era was, most definitely Led Zeppelin were and remain synonyms with the 70's Youth/Culture......

Thanks PlanetPage, you make some excellent points and made me think of even more reasons Zeppelin's music is so timeless and has such a universal appeal.

Not only did they compose music based from their cultural interests and travels, but they also wove into their music the romance and fantasy of past cultures and classic literature, i.e. knights, vikings and Lord of the Rings. They mixed this romanticism with hard driving beats and riffs that was pure raw sexuality. Again, another example of the soft and hard. Even on stage you had the golden God that was Plant and the dark mystical wizard that was Page.

The era was indeed incredible and I'm so blessed to have been able to experience it first hand. My 21 yr. old son is soooooo jealous. Like Young Page Prophecy he is enamored with 70's rock music and thinks the music of today totally sucks. He tells me all the time that I was so lucky to have been young in the 70's.

This is fuckin awesome!! haha

I never thought that this "thread" i made would lead to all of this

Literally probly one of the best decisions ive ever made, besides buying a guitar and listening to led zeppelin in the first place, its like i just entered an entire new world away from my normal one

I thank everyone who has participated in opening this door for me.

And if you have any stories you want to brag about. you came to the right place haha cuz im listening

Also, I havent read a book since to kill a mockingbird 4 years ago and i realized that i did actually enjoy it. So i have decided that im going to read a book, just not which one yet. So if you have any suggestions for me just give me the title so i can google it. Im lookin for somethin either that takes me on an adventure type deal, music related, or just fucked up in every aspect and really makes you think.

Thanks!

P.S. Its totally cool with me if the stories are drug related biggrin.gif haha

Edited by The young page prophecy

Have you got into bootlegs yet? If not, I strongly suggest that you do. Look at the 'Led Zep Live' sub - forum for some suggestions as to what boots to start with.

wow tom kid!! I just watched Whiskey a go go performance from 1969... and holy shit haha. thanks for the suggestion.

I have a live 3 disc collection from june 72 called how the west was won and i cant even comprehend how they progressed so much in just three and a half years

This post is directed to PlanetPage and justawoman, but everyone else, please chime in.

You guys make me want to proclaim why exactly it is that for an average 18 year old kid in shit hole parma, that is basically an extension of the ghetto of cleveland, (someone tried to rob my house last night) who is surrounded by kids who worship the rapper Lil Wayne, check out some of his stuff, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bDfNce7iAtc i mean im not gonna lie i do actually like that song, there is just no musical talent displayed whatsoever (except for when you consider eminems background and situation in life, he is by far the best lyricist of his generation, I respect the rap/hip hop genre, and eminem is my favorite artist of it) but as far as Lil Wayne, I have some respect for the man simply because he treats his rapping career like a business, and that motherfucker is one successful business man.

But anway... why i love led zeppelin so much is for all the exact same reasons as you guys, like i said earlier in the thread, every led zeppelin song takes you on a journey in and of itself. Everything that both of you guys said is absolutely 1 million percent true. Your guys conversation so far that followed this post.....

Justawoman- "This is an excellent thread, I couldn't agree more. You know after finding this forum (I've really only been participating for a few weeks now), I really got to thinking about LZ and what makes their music so special. I'm a fan from long, long, long ago, when I was young and before anyone really knew the full impact that Zeppelin was going to have on rock music or music in general. Anyway, I got to thinking 'why do I like Led Zeppelin so much?' I think it's because so many of their songs have what I like to refer to as 'the light and dark' or the 'heavy and lite', the 'hard and soft'. To me, and this is just MHO, Jimmy Page was a genius the way he mixed the hard and soft. So many songs either start out soft and melodious, then really crank it, or else they start out with a bang, then mellow out some, then come back in with some more 'in your face' heavy stuff. Their songs had so many different levels. Does that make sense? Also, so much of their music, or lyrics, make you think. What does this song mean? What are they singing about? Does it make sense? Should it make sense? Maybe not. That is strictly for the listener to interpret. So many of their songs were thought provoking, but at the same time hard core rock and roll. Again, a contradiction. I love contradictions! Believe me, I'm not a musician and not in the least musically inclined. I just know that I've listened to a lot of music in my life and for me Led Zeppelin is at the top of my list and I guess I'm just wondering 'why is that?'. (Please excuse the ramblings of a middle age woman who has had too much wine.)"...........

The only way i can elaborate on it is.. Its like we all share the same brain except you guys just said the words i wanted to first. I only welcome your wine inspired ramblings. After all my original post that started this convo were the ramblings of a kid who just took acid for the first time and was feeling inspired and productive. I loved that shit haha. but back to the subject at hand.

Of the led zeppelin songs that I have listened to the most so far in this past year of discovery for me, despite how much I absolutely fucking love led zeppelin, I can recite literally 25% of the lyrics and that might be pushin it. This is because when i listen to zeppelin, i just jam, plant could be singin about slicin ppl up and eatin them hannibal lector style, i dont give a fuck what he is saying, majority of the time when you listen to a song for the first time and have no idea what the lyrics are, you have no idea what plant is singing about cuz you cant make out exactly what he is saying. I just consider plants voice, the fourth instrument of the, most intense, brilliant, and longest teniored jam session, that is Led Zeppelin itself. This is most evident in Achilles last stand, when the song slows down and stops for a second and then for about two minutes its just plant singing AHHHHHHHHH and changing the pitch and beat of his voice. He also does this in Stairway but is saying OOOoooohhhwooooOOOOOO ooooohhhhOOoowhhoooOOO. And then that along with Page on the guitar, Jones on the bass, and the best drummer of all time, jammin the fuck out of the Ludwigs, John Bonham. This same thing, plant playing his voice, but not actually saying anything is evident at some point in time in pretty much every led zeppelin song ever. But back to the journey topic.

Stairway to heaven is the perfect example of what our brains are telling us. (The greatest song by the greatest band in history, therefore the greatest song in history) And one more thing before i start my hungover all day and now its 6:30 in the morning and i still havent slept a wink all day and i have school in an hour rant... Planetpage idk about your musical background (but would love to find out) but Im majoring in music composition at Ohio State University, so i think its safe to call myself a musician, and my dad is a musician.

With that said, Im telling you justawoman, that you are indeed, in every way, musically inclined, simply because you are a big enough zephead that has listened to enough zeppelin in their life to be having a conversation with a random 18 year old kid, trying to figure exactly why it is that you love them so much. Thats my interperatation of your musical background at least, this coming from a kid, who took one of those Lil Wayne worshippers, and exposed him to enough zeppelin that just a few months after discovering them, he will proudly proclaim his love for them over Lil Wayne in a room full of people listening and praising Lil Wayne.

And one more related add in.. I and my three other zeppelin fan friends who attended the ZOSO concert, consider ourselves more musically inclined than the average teenager that is not a zephead, im sure you guys can agree.

Now i can begin. I guess you can consider this like another essay on why i love zeppelin so much, with the focus on why stairway to heaven is the greatest song of all time. Alright... So like we have agreed on, every led zeppelin song is like a journey. Stairway to Heaven is the perfect example of this (And if you go to the topic, top 5 zep songs, it along with achilles last stand are the two of the most frequently mentioned.) So first of all, Just look at the name itself, Stairway to Heaven, idk about you guys but the vibe that those three words in that order, to me, implies something along the lines of journey, and/or adventure. Now along with those two words, another word to describe the song itself, as in the musical composition, Is the word ballad. Just as you said justawomen, the intro and basically the first fourth of the song is soft, slow, and melodius, then it picks up a little bit once the flute is exited and page changes from picking to strumming, as well as the drums pick up and the base chimes in and that is basically the second fourth. Then the guitar solo, my favorite*keywords* studio version page guitar solo of all time just edging out dazed and confused is the third fourth of the song. Then once the guitar solo ends and plant chimes in with AND AS WE WIND ON DOWN THE ROAD!!!(which by the way is probably my favorite part of any zep song when you consider the 7 minute buildup and guitar solo that come before it) Starts the last quarter of the song.

And then the other half of the song that is equally brilliant, are the lyrics, because as a whole, i have honestly no idea wtf he is talking about, and nobody does know exactly what it is he was trying to express to us, because he left it so metaphorical and open ended. And that along with the seven minute buildup to the change in tempo and attitude of the song is the reason, I personally rank it number one zeppelin song, and why every single best classic rock song countdown on 98.5 Clevelands Classic Rock, and im sure many other classic rock stations, rank it number one on their list everytime. It starts out, Theres a lady who knows all that glitters is gold, and shes buying a stairway to heaven, when she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed with a word she can get what she came here for. So it starts off talking about, this is my interperetation at least, talking about a girl, most likely rich and spoiled, whos main concern in life is material objects and buying everything that she wants because she is able to get whatever she wants, and what she wants during this particular song, is to ensure that she goes to heaven, Or... it could mean that she is setting herself up for disaster and she is gonna end up in heaven soon, but then pretty much after that i have no idea wtf he is talking about except for a few parts, like, yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, theres still time to change the road your on. and also after it breaks off from the first part that i think i comprehend correctly he adds to the lyrics. OOOoooo and it makes me wander. He is simultaneously telling me what he thinks about the lyrics he has written, and literally telling me exactly what to do while i listen to his lyrics. And from my personal opinion, telling the audience what to do is a key quality of many of the greatest songs of all time and hit songs in general, regardless of genre or generation. Prime example, Twist and shout by possibly my second favorite band The Beatles.

Well I could go on about this forever, and i also still have more to say about the rest of your guys conversation that i didnt get to elaborate on. specifically planet page talking about how the culture of the 70s inspired their lyrics and style......but i have to be at school in an hour so i need to go take a shower haha.

But I will leave you guys with this to chew on as well, In my original post i said it was my dream in life to make and perform music that is my best shot at recreating led zeppelin. And i am absolutely commited to making my life that. So i want to show you guys the lyrics to my song that me and my friend are working on right now.

The lyrics are rebellious and pretty angry i guess. The riff that we made up before i even thought about lyrics was basically black sabbath inspired only because the amp was on metal setting while we were jamming and thought of it. but here it goes...

Helplessly growing up in the recessed nation,

Our unemployed parents,

Now work at the gas station,

While all the laid off teachers,

Now absent from our educations,

Whats wrong with these people,

The wealth of our generation,

Our lives are controlled by,

CEO's and Corporations,

Thier motivation is greed,

And cash their inspiration,

They dont care who they step on,

They want that second mansion,

Corruption on Wall Street,

Steals money from our wallets,

Selfish thieves dropped to their knees, --- (meaning the govt bank-bail-outs)

Prayed and recieved their forgiveness,

Yet still they will create any scheme,

Just to Increase their paychecks

Thats what i got so far, there is more to be said tho. The chorus, as of now, the middle part, I wrote in under ten minutes, it just came to me after I decided i wanted to write about all the selfish rich motherfuckers who dont give a shit what happens to anyone but themselves. and the other parts I wrote in first period govt the next day.

But yea thats what i got so far, and i feel like family with everyone on here so i just wanted to share. Im open for suggestions by the way ill take all the inspiration i can get right now at this point in my life.

And lastly, because i have to be in my first period class in exactly one hour haha, Thank you guys so much for listening to what i have to say and reading these giant posts that i put on here. I love it, this is the best thing that could have happened to me, i feel like i can converse on here at a totally different level than with my friends.

I'm a fan from long, long, long ago, when I was young and before anyone really knew the full impact that Zeppelin was going to have on rock music or music in general.

I thought you said you were 18?

*sorry - are you quoting someone else? Your post is REALLY hard to make head or tail of.

Edited by Knebby

I thought you said you were 18?

I am 18 just turned it feb 23rd. Idk why it says that i said that, someone else did. i must have accidentally copy and pasted somethin. Ive been a fan for less than a year, and i realized the impact that led zeppelin had on rock and roll and that they were gonna have on the rest of my life just a few short months into my still young and budding led zeppelin love affair

*Knebby, i edited the post to make it a little easier to read, the italics are the quote that started this whole conversation, and made me want to write this extremely long post. Now that you understand that, I think the whole thing will be very easy for you to make heads of and reply too.

Thanks!