Help with this Beautiful Signed Piece

Hi Guys

Brand new to the forum and I am here for help! I am a sports card show promoter so this is out of my comfort zone but one of my customers brought in an absolutely beautiful piece. This thing is signed by the four original members and is framed out to be 2 feet by 3 feet big. Amazing looking. Two things I am obviously looking to get opinions on. Do the signatures look good? What kind of approximate value would this thing carry? I love it but again am not in my comfort zone. The piece came from The Art of Music in Las Vegas which from what I know is a very reputable place but I know that bad stuff sneaks in anywhere. Thanks in advance!!!!

lz1.jpg

lz2.jpg

lz4.jpg

lz3.jpg

I had Led Zeppelin 3 signed by all four, looks similar to mine, i donated it to Jimmy's charity for a silent auction and it made £3500 back in 2004. My dad played war with me for donating it, but it was well worth it......i got invited down to London to personally meet Jimmy, he signed personlised photo for me and we had a good chat. :D

post-967-12743776155_thumb.jpg

This is my personlised photo of Jimmy if you want to check yours.

Jimmy's signature has changed considerably thru the years.

At first glance the signatures on the Led Zeppelin III album could be authentic but I do have my doubts. I don't like the overt similarities of the letter "P" in Paul and Page. To my eyes it looks written by the same hand.

Apparently there is no letter of provenance making it impossible to discern when and where this was allegedly signed between 1971-1980.

I REALLY appreciate everyones comments. This piece is a beauty and everything looks good with the exception of the Jimmy Page autograph not looking like his current signature. That was what I was wondering about and I know it has changed over the years just haven't seen many of his old autographs. I am leaning towards thinking the item is legit but started with some obvious reservations. Anyone elses input will be greatly appreciated as well and again thanks to those who have already posted with some great information!

Here is all 4 signatures from the LZ II. I purchased from American Royal Arts in Boca Raton.

LZII2Jimmyssignature.jpg

*** Excellent example of authentic 70s era signatures. ***

I really don't like the "Robert Plant" signature on the Led Zeppelin III album in question.

*** Excellent example of authentic 70s era signatures. ***

I really don't like the "Robert Plant" signature on the Led Zeppelin III album in question.

Thanks :D I agree, Plants signature does not look like I, II or IV...

cindycardshows, I can post a copy of I and IV (Untitled), with all 4 signatures if that helps...just let me know.

Thanks biggrin.gif I agree, Plants signature does not look like I, II or IV...

cindycardshows, I can post a copy of I and IV (Untitled), with all 4 signatures if that helps...just let me know.

Deborah that would be fantastic. Thanks for all your help! Definitely worried about the piece now, and I'm trying to get a hold of the Art of Music in Las Vegas since that's where it came from.

Deborah that would be fantastic. Thanks for all your help! Definitely worried about the piece now, and I'm trying to get a hold of the Art of Music in Las Vegas since that's where it came from.

If I may ask, have you researched the company/gallery who you purchased it from. You can contact the better business bureau to see if there are any complaints...many ways to find out if they are reputable:-) Also is your photo signed and numbered on the piece by anyone?

If I may ask, have you researched the company/gallery who you purchased it from. You can contact the better business bureau to see if there are any complaints...many ways to find out if they are reputable:-) Also is your photo signed and numbered on the piece by anyone?

That was the first thing I did and everything seems to show that the place is very reputable which is the head scratcher in the whole thing. It would be easy if nobody knew who this place was but everything I see looks great. It is not signed and numbered. Great questions though and thanks again

I bought this at a record convention in the 80's- the guy who was selling them (he had a bunch) said that Robert had signed them when he was at a local radio station. Since it was only $10 I seriously doubt that this is really Robert's signature (I wanted the magazine anyway) but I thought I would post it on here anyway & see if anybody thinks it might be legit after all:

robertsig0001.jpg

Courtesy of Rick's site:

All4Auto.jpg

I have to dig through the images I saved on my harddrive to check the Zep III signed piece against other signed items. The only signature I have from the Zep years is two examples of Peter Grant's. The other examples I have of RP, JPJ, JP, and Jason Bonham are from more modern times. I can post images if you like.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Well I have nothing to contribute to solve this mystery other that this sounds like a good case for the HISTORY DETECTIVES, a show here in the states that gets to the bottom of these mysteries. :D

I bought this at a record convention in the 80's- the guy who was selling them (he had a bunch) said that Robert had signed them when he was at a local radio station. Since it was only $10 I seriously doubt that this is really Robert's signature (I wanted the magazine anyway) but I thought I would post it on here anyway & see if anybody thinks it might be legit after all:

robertsig0001.jpg

The signature appears to be authentic and if he signed several it explains why the "Plant" looks hurried, but the low price is alarming. Does anyone have any details on the radio station appearance? It may give us some leads to help to substantiate he signed autographs while there.

That's his signature for definite- I've got loads of items he's signed with the same kind of lack of detail.

Not only have their sigs changed over trhe years, they change from minute-to-minute - not so much Jimmy nowadays, as he is particular about signing for people so tends not to do so "on the run" as it were, but Robert certainly signs whilst walking, through car windows, when hungover etc etc etc. The sig will never be the same every time.

The signature appears to be authentic and if he signed several it explains why the "Plant" looks hurried, but the low price is alarming. Does anyone have any details on the radio station appearance? It may give us some leads to help to substantiate he signed autographs while there.

Well that's why I really didn't think it was Robert's signature since it was only $10 and he also couldn't give me any more details about where & when it was signed other than it was from an appearance at a radio station (yes I did ask). The magazine (Sounds Fan Library No. 12) is dated 1983, but I bought it some time after that, probably '84 or '85.

Well that's why I really didn't think it was Robert's signature since it was only $10 and he also couldn't give me any more details about where & when it was signed other than it was from an appearance at a radio station (yes I did ask). The magazine (Sounds Fan Library No. 12) is dated 1983, but I bought it some time after that, probably '84 or '85.

Robert performed in Buffalo & New York City in September 1983 which coincides with when that magazine would have been on newstands and sold in stores. I'm just not aware of any radio station appearance details in New York state that month or on subsequent 80s solo tours for that matter, though there certainly were some as he did several interviews with Mary Turner for her 'Off The Record' program among many other shows.

The magazine didn't have to be signed at the time it came out. It's a collector's piece and was probably signed inamongst a collection of things.

That's fair and she recalls purchasing it in '84 or '85 so all we know for certain is it was signed circa '83-'85.

Archived