It's record hot today!

Atlas

The video's pretty cool, well maybe not, but it's entertaining.

Moscow melts under African heat

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-07-17/sun-heat-record-moscow.html

17 July, 2010, 14:33

Moscow is in the grip of an unusually long heat wave with current summer temperatures well into the thirties and no let-up during the weekend; winds are weak and there is no rain in sight.

Muscovites can barley cope with the scorching sunshine that reaches 34ºC. The temperature is equal to that in Egypt’s Sharm-El-Sheikh or Hurgada – the only difference being that there’s no sea in Moscow.

Residents have been advised to stay away from direct sunlight and restrain from physical activity.

The last time such a high temperature was registered was on July 17, 1951 when the air warmed up to 33.7ºC – but obviously this record has already been beaten.

However, Muscovites think that the burning heat is just another reason to get creative and have fun.

During a flashmob that took place at the All-Russia Exhibition Center in Moscow on Saturday people sprayed water at each other from water pistols, bottles and even buckets. The RT presenter has also been affected.

Come to think of it, 34C is only 93F. What are they complaining about?

In Italy it's been pretty bad lately. 36°C but with the humidity it's like 42°. Even beach waters have heated causing an increasing amount of jellyfish. What's goin' on ...

Today there are a few clouds and it seems a bit cooler, thank heavens! Remember when almost no one in Italy - or in Europe for that matter - had air conditioning? The horribly torrid summer of 2003 changed all that

Impacts of Summer 2003 Heat Wave in Europe

Another big change I've seen over the last seven or so years has been the minimum evening temperature ... now it just stays HOT all day AND night, the heat builds up in the buildings, on the streets and in the countryside and is never released.

Before that awful summer of 2003 I remember almost always taking pleasant strolls wearing a sweater or light jacket on summer evenings ... Instead nowadays everyone seems to stay indoors under air conditioning just trying to survive.

So ... is any of this suffering somehow connected to coincidences that caused the opening of the Italian section of the International Thomas Merton Society in 2004?

:sos:

Calling for a heat index of 111F today; whew. The girls and I did our 2 miles early. Heat index yesterday ~ 105, my oldest and I spent the day touring a college campus (outside). My son has swimmer's ear, so I don't think we'll be at the pool today :(

It's 84 right now, but it's supposed to hit a (dry) high of 95 today, with Sunday and Monday hitting 101 and 104, respectively.

I live in Boise, Idaho, which is a dry climate, but it does hit over 100 quite often in the summer. Last week, we had three days over 100. I usually hide in the house if I don't have a swimming buddy when it's that hot. :lol:

Here's the weather in my neck o' the woods right now:

Updated: 43 sec ago

Clear

97.9 °F / 36.6 °C

Humidity: 55%

Dew Point: 79 °F / 26 °C

Wind: 3.1 mph / 5.0 km/h / 1.4 m/s from the SSW

Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h

Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Falling)

Heat Index: 117 °F / 47 °C

Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

UV: 9 out of 16

Pollen: 4.80 out of 12

Clouds: Clear - (Above Ground Level)

Holy Cow on the heat index!! :o

It's just as hot today. Weather Underground showed the heat index in our area earlier this afternoon as 119. That's what it actually feels like outside. That's hotter than frickin' Arizona. Thank god for central air.

It's cold in England right now. It got very hot (by our standards) for a week or so, but now it's cold again. That'll be our summer over, then.

We can't cope with extremes of temperature over here. When it gets over 90, the roads melt. And give us two inches of snow, and the whole road network comes to a grinding halt, and people end up sleeping in their cars on the motorway for 2 or 3 days.

At least these things give us something to piss & moan about. We love to piss & moan over here. Especially the women.

Where do you guys get the "feels like" reports? I don't get those. It's 98 outside right now, but there's a cloud cover and it's feeling good. I'm sitting outside on my back porch without a cover and I'm good.

It WAS 103 today. Holy sheesh.

I hid inside after mowing the grass in the morning (it was over 90 then...)

Yeah...all of the local news websites say it's 98 degrees outside, and I was having a tough time believing that it was 98...it's actually 87, and the heat index is 85. No wonder why I'm' perfectly comfortable out here. :lol:

My condolences to those of you in the northeast U.S. I live in summer temperatures that routinely reach 100F plus.

Some lessons from the wisdom of the Southern states: 1)drink iced tea/other iced drinks- lots of it; 2) close your shades/curtains to darken your rooms- it will drop the temperature; 3) turn off unnecessary lights/electronics- the ambient heat emitted warms the room more than you know; 4)don't perform strenuous activity in the heat of the day- save it for the cooler hours; 5) place a cool/iced cloth around your neck and wear gauzy loose fitted clothing- this will help lower your internal body temperature; therefore lowering the flash point of your temper. B)

Thanks for the advice! Back in 1986 I got stuck in Atlanta for a month (IBM Systems Engineer Training classes) during their 38-days-in-a-row-stretch-of-consecutive-days-and-nights-at-or above-90 degrees Fahrenheit (not to mention the humidity!) and was amazed that people could actually survive those "living conditions" ... maybe they also do

Spiritual Practices for Hot Weather B)

Archived