The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

Rolling Stone to Ozzy in recent interview:

Tony has said that he'd still like for Black Sabbath to play live again sometime.

Ozzy: Not for me. It's done. The only thing I do regret is not doing the last farewell show in Birmingham with [drummer] Bill Ward. I felt really bad about that. It would have been so nice. I don't know what the circumstances behind it were, but it would have been nice. I've talked to him a few times, but I don't have any of the slightest interest in [doing another gig]. Maybe Tony's getting bored now.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ozzy-osbourne-biography-documentary-interview-1051072/

12 hours ago, Brigante said:

Yeah, bollocks Ozzy didn't 'know the circumstances' behind Bill Ward not doing the last gig.
Your wife wanted to pay him peanuts.
Now you know the circumstances, Oz.

Yeah he knows why, how he can go and say that is beyond me, when they publicly were have a war of words going at the time of 13.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 5:11 AM, luvlz2 said:

This really "grinds my gears", back in the day, say when Paranoid was gracing Top of the Pops NOBODY called Black Sabbath a heavy metal band, they were/ heavy/hard rock. One could walk into any record shop in the early seventies and you would not find a heavy metal section, they did not exist. Heavy Metal turns fifty, bollox I say.

Edited by JTM

6 hours ago, JTM said:

This really "grinds my gears", back in the day, say when Paranoid was gracing Top of the Pops NOBODY called Black Sabbath a heavy metal band, they were/ heavy/hard rock. One could walk into any record shop in the early seventies and you would not find a heavy metal section, they did not exist. Heavy Metal turns fifty, bollox I say.

Agreed, I always think of Sabbath as a Hard Rock band, the Ozzy era I’m talking about.

Edited by RainbowElf

2 minutes ago, RainbowElf said:

Agreed, I wAys think of Sabbath as a Hard Rock band, the Ozzy era I’m talking about.

I blame Kerrang magazine, they started the Black Sabbath heavy metal thing. I'm talking "Ozzy era" too. 

5 hours ago, JTM said:

I blame Kerrang magazine, they started the Black Sabbath heavy metal thing. I'm talking "Ozzy era" too. 

They may have influenced Heavy Metal, but they are hard rock, Metal would be the post Ozzy era, Dio era.

I would regard Sabbath as the first metal band, although obviously Zeppelin and Purple's influence on the genre can't be understated.  Like a lot of the heavy bands of the era, Sabbath's repertoire was a lot more diverse than your typical metal band today, but I think musically (and thematically) they took things to the next level (relative to other heavy bands from the late 60's, e.g. Cream, etc.), to what you commonly see in metal music today.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I would regard Sabbath as the first metal band, although obviously Zeppelin and Purple's influence on the genre can't be understated.  Like a lot of the heavy bands of the era, Sabbath's repertoire was a lot more diverse than your typical metal band today, but I think musically (and thematically) they took things to the next level (relative to other heavy bands from the late 60's, e.g. Cream, etc.), to what you commonly see in metal music today.

I couldn't possibly agree, like I said before in the early days of Black Sabbath there was no such thing as a heavy metal section in record shops.

Sabbath as the first metal band makes sense from this perspective, but it's a retrospective designation. 
Hard rock's bands like Thin Lizzy or UFO, isn't it? Sabbath are palbably different to those kinds of bands, so I've never thought of them as hard rock.
I agreed with Geezer when he said he'd always thought of Sabbath as 'heavy rock' - that'll do for me.