The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

^^ Cheers! I will have to check it out.

If they released it officially, it would be the best live Sabbath album by far. 3 tracks from it are on the Past Lives release, Hole in the Sky, Symptom of the Universe & Meglomania.

Here's another part of the jam.

Edited by Ady

The Blizzard of Oz album was so much better than Black Sabbath albums it isnt funny,. Rhodes was a better guitarist in his short career than Iommi ever was. I love Iron Man and some of the classics. Master of Reality and Paranoid are good but if you ask me, Crazy Train and Mr Crowley are better.

Well that's why we have opinions. To me the Blizzard of Oz was pop metal compared to the classic Sabbath recordings. The voice was the same but nothing else was remotely close.

BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL guitartist Tony Iommi has revealed to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine that he has begun work on new material with the hopes of launching the 'next phase" of his career alongside longtime SABBATH bandmate/bassist Geezer Butler. Whether or not this will be part of a BLACK SABBATH reunion or a new project remains unclear at present, but Iommi has said, "What I'm doing now is writing. I've gone mad, writing loads of riffs again. I'm really enjoying it, putting stuff together. We will be doing something. I'm in touch with Geezer a lot now and we’ve been talking about what the next phase is going to be. It'll be great to get out and do something again. I don't normally say this, but there's some great ideas coming out. That's all I've got to do right now. Sit and write riffs!"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147562

A priceless newspaper clipping from 1969 when Black Sabbath were still called Earth.

2h3797n.jpg

That is a great picture of Earth/Black Sabbath. The book I recently read How Black Was Our Sabbath has some cool pictures of Sabbath when they were called Earth. There's also one of Mythology 'Mark III' with Bill Ward and Tony Iommi.

• 3 months later...

I want to invest in some original lineup Black Sabbath CDs but I don't know what path to take. I already have Paranoid and I'm looking to expand my collection. Should I buy the Black Box and get all eight remastered CDs for about $70? Should I just get the first six albums in their 1990 pressings for about $45? Or should I just get a greatest hits collection like Symptom of the Universe for about $25? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Or should I just get a greatest hits collection like Symptom of the Universe for about $25?

You'll miss out on a lot of great songs if you do that.

I have the Black Box and I'm happy enough with it, but audiophiles would tell you otherwise. :)

I don't know about 1990 pressings, but I used to have the Castle Remasters from 1996 which sounded really good.

There are of course the recent Deluxe Editions with bonus tracks on the first three albums, but they'll be more expensive. I believe they were only released in Europe too.

You'll miss out on a lot of great songs if you do that.

I have the Black Box and I'm happy enough with it, but audiophiles would tell you otherwise. :)

I don't know about 1990 pressings, but I used to have the Castle Remasters from 1996 which sounded really good.

There are of course the recent Deluxe Editions with bonus tracks on the first three albums, but they'll be more expensive. I believe they were only released in Europe too.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm siding with buying the Black Box right now because I can't seem to find a cheap price for the Castle remasters, and I'd prefer newly remastered copies of the first 6 albums. The final two albums are not essential but would be a nice bonus since there are a few decent songs among them.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm siding with buying the Black Box right now because I can't seem to find a cheap price for the Castle remasters, and I'd prefer newly remastered copies of the first 6 albums. The final two albums are not essential but would be a nice bonus since there are a few decent songs among them.

Are the Castle remasters the Deluxe editions of the albums like the one of the first record depicted below? Just curious because my collection of Sabbath on CD is also in dire need of being expanded. BTW, whatever your decision, be sure to check the used/new section at Amazon for some pretty good deals.

61EKbsmZnZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Are the Castle remasters the Deluxe editions of the albums like the one of the first record depicted below? Just curious because my collection of Sabbath on CD is also in dire need of being expanded. BTW, whatever your decision, be sure to check the used/new section at Amazon for some pretty good deals.

61EKbsmZnZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No, the Castle Remasters came out in '96. The latest editions were released by Santuary.

Here's a review.

Minor updates to my review. The book I mention towards the end is not Mark Weiss, he was the photographer, I believe. And the poem from the original release *IS* here, but not the upside down cross. That was my error.

• 9 months later...

from blabbermouth.net

they're back

The original lineup of the legendary heavy metal band BLACK SABBATHOzzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) — has reunited and will release a brand new album in 2012. The group's first studio effort in 33 years will be produced by Rick Rubin, who has previously worked with METALLICA, SLIPKNOT, SLAYER and SYSTEM OF A DOWN, among many others. A world tour will follow, including an appearance at the U.K.'s Download festival on June 10, 2012.

A three-and-a-half-minute reunion-announcement video can be seen below.

Iommi told U.K.'s Terrorizer magazine that the four original members of BLACK SABBATH recently got together in a rehearsal room for the first time in years, adding, "[We] played some of the old stuff and to be together again was great. We're all on good terms and we're at a stage where we can play together again. It would be good if we could and I suppose it's the closest it's been to be able to do that."

Osbourne told Billboard.com last month that a reunion of the original BLACK SABBATH lineup was a "very, very strong possibility." He added, "It's in the very early stages, so we haven't recorded anything yet. If it works out, it'll work out. If it doesn't, I'll keep doing my thing."

The Birmingham Mail reported in August that the original SABBATH lineup had begun rehearsing and writing music in secret for a new album. The Mail based its story around remarks made by Iommi, who later said the comments were off the record and taken out of context. Iommi's manager, however, did not deny that a reunion was underway.

Speculation about a reunion was fueled later that month when Ozzy skipped the Hollywood premiere of the documentary about his life, "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne". Both his son Jack and daughter Kelly hinted at the time that their dad was "doing something that is very, very exciting."

SABBATH did try to record a new album 12 years ago, the original lineup's first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs. The original lineup has not toured together since summer 2005 and last appeared together when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2006.

Osbourne and Iommi last year amicably resolved their problems over the ownership of the BLACK SABBATH name and court proceedings in New York were discontinued.

Ozzy filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the BLACK SABBATH trademark after he quit the band in 1979.

Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.

• 2 months later...

Unreal... Good for Bill... Let's screw the Drummer. He's an original member of Black Sabbath and it sounds like they want to treat him like a hired hand... I may be wrong but This reeks of Sharon Osbourne...There's more than enough $$$ to go around.

I want to hear what the others, namely Tony and Geezer have to say.

Bill Ward deserves a fair deal ..... period.