Roger Waters' presents "THE WALL"

dpat

• 2 weeks later...

Dpat, I know there is no opening act but does the show start pretty much the time it says on the ticket? My MSG show on Wednesday is suppose to start at 8pm. It says 8pm prompt on the ticket, perhaps this is true. How long is the show? Album length around 1 1/2 hours or more? Thanks.

Edited by SuperDave

Dpat, I know there is no opening act but does the show start pretty much the time it says on the ticket? My MSG show on Wednesday is suppose to start at 8pm. It says 8pm prompt on the ticket, perhaps this is true. How long is the show? Album length around 1 1/2 hours or more? Thanks.

I saw the wall in Pittsburgh. The ticket said 8:00 Prompt also. It was approximately 8:10 when it started. The show was approximately the same as the album, with about a 1/2 hour of intermission. The only differences between the album and the show that I noticed was "outside the Wall" was longer, it may have been the same as how it was performed in the movie and there was a song that I didn't recognize at all, it may have been from the movie version. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Walter - The whole show was fantastic, the sound was great, the band and Roger were tight and sounded great, and the effects were stunning. The videos that were played on the wall were extremely effective. My favorite was footage of him singing Mother in the 80's. Some of the videos were the same as the movie, (the camera during Mother and the trial animation) some of the video and statements were about the current political climate and world events. Run like Hell was great, music and video. I loved the schoolmaster puppet, as he had always scared the crap out of me. The pig made an appearance. The guy who sings vocals for David's parts was spot on.

It was a really great show, and actually worth the money spent. My tickets were $99, but the highest price tickets were $200.

I saw the wall in Pittsburgh. The ticket said 8:00 Prompt also. It was approximately 8:10 when it started. The show was approximately the same as the album, with about a 1/2 hour of intermission. The only differences between the album and the show that I noticed was "outside the Wall" was longer, it may have been the same as how it was performed in the movie and there was a song that I didn't recognize at all, it may have been from the movie version. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Walter - The whole show was fantastic, the sound was great, the band and Roger were tight and sounded great, and the effects were stunning. The videos that were played on the wall were extremely effective. My favorite was footage of him singing Mother in the 80's. Some of the videos were the same as the movie, (the camera during Mother and the trial animation) some of the video and statements were about the current political climate and world events. Run like Hell was great, music and video. I loved the schoolmaster puppet, as he had always scared the crap out of me. The pig made an appearance. The guy who sings vocals for David's parts was spot on.

It was a really great show, and actually worth the money spent. My tickets were $99, but the highest price tickets were $200.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great show and can't wait for it tomorrow night. Tix are a bit pricey as you say. Mine are in 203 at MSG, which are fairly good for about $140 including all the various fees. MSG is always more expensive, because of being in NYC and what it is.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great show and can't wait for it tomorrow night. Tix are a bit pricey as you say. Mine are in 203 at MSG, which are fairly good for about $140 including all the various fees. MSG is always more expensive, because of being in NYC and what it is.

How was the concert, SuperDave?

I am attending on October 22 in Columbus.

Has David Gilmour appeared yet?

I would think that NYC would be the probable location for his guest appearance.

How was the concert, SuperDave?

I am attending on October 22 in Columbus.

Has David Gilmour appeared yet?

I would think that NYC would be the probable location for his guest appearance.

Buckeye Doc,

The show was fantastic and Roger has a great band along with him. Great special effects with the building of the wall. No actual video screens but video is projected on The Wall at times. The Schoolmaster and The Infaltable Pig, made returns to the show. My show was the 2nd one at MSG and no DG yet. You'll love the show. There is one intermission for about 20 minutes. The show started at about 8:15 and was about 2 1/4 hours with the break.

Buckeye Doc,

The show was fantastic and Roger has a great band along with him. Great special effects with the building of the wall. No actual video screens but video is projected on The Wall at times. The Schoolmaster and The Infaltable Pig, made returns to the show. My show was the 2nd one at MSG and no DG yet. You'll love the show. There is one intermission for about 20 minutes. The show started at about 8:15 and was about 2 1/4 hours with the break.

These are STUNNING photos of opening night!!! Enjoy!

Buckeye Doc,

Thanks for the info, SuperDave!

These are STUNNING photos of opening night!!! Enjoy!

These photos are indeed STUNNING! Fantastic! Thanks for posting them, ocean!

From what I read here it sounds like Yankee Stadium may be where David Gilmour may be playing, but I'm not sure: http://www.pinkfloydz.com/ . Read article on page titled "David Gilmour Says No To Full Wall Show".

That's not saying David will be doing Comfortably Numb at Yankee Stadium, it's saying that he doesn't want to do a full concert, which I don't blame him for, really. The only song from The Wall that he's done with any regularity since The Division Bell tour is Comfortably Numb, as I believe Roger owns the rights to basically everything else from that album.

Besides, Roger is not performing The Wall at Yankee Stadium -- all his NYC shows are being performed at Madison Square Garden or at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island.

• 2 weeks later...

The concert was AMAZING!

I attended "The Wall" concert last night at Ohio State's Schottenstein Arena, a great venue for concerts. "Amazing" is all I can say to describe it!

Of course, no David Gilmour. But the vocalist and lead guitarist were awesome. Everyone held thier breath during the first part of "Comfortably Numb", and you could almost hear a sigh of disappointment when David did not appear. But the guitarist was fantastic. He received a great ovation after the song. I felt priveledged to be present to witness and hear his great rendition. The vocals were excellent and the band was very good, too.

An interesting incident happened. When the band moved in front of the wall after the intermission, the keyboards were not working. Roger came out, half dressed into his "dictator uniform", his boots half on, half off, and announced that they were having technical difficulties. He then chatted with the audience. He had plastic bags on his feet and he told the audience that he had to use them to put the boots on, LOL. During the lull, the audience tried to get a football cheer going: "OH - IO". I got the feeling that there were alot of people there that were not from Ohio, as the cheer never really got off the ground as it would have if there were mostly college students there. The audience was mostly well dressed 40 and 50 year olds, I didn't see too many college students. We had excellent seats. I will post photos later after I upload them on my computer.

My son noticed that Roger kept gesturing to one of the luxury boxes near the stage, and the spotlight kept shinning up there. He pointed and waved to the people there several times. We are suspecting that it possibly could have been Eric Clapton, but who knows if Eric is even in town right now. Roger and Eric are indeed friends, as Roger states on his website about the tour.

I liked the intermission tribute to people who had died for their countries during wars and protests. They showed photos and biographies of them on the wall. It was interesting to read why some of them died. They died as heroes making sacrifices for their principles and in some cases to save others. Roger's father who died in WWII and gradfather who died in WWI were featured. The tribute was very moving and sad. I hate political preaching by "celebs", but this message was very understated, leaving the viewer to make their own mind up about the message. It was very tasteful and not "in your face". It put a face on the casualties of war. It made you realize that these people who died are not just statistics, they are someone's family member. It made you feel for their loss, and appreciate what they died for. That is my take on the tribute. Roger's is a little different from mine:

Roger Explains why now.

"I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago: " What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?" I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground. We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas. 30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old. It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it's concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and 'isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life. This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years. In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more 'humane' ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another. I disagree. In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, " You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

- Roger Waters, 2010

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

The concert was AMAZING!

I attended "The Wall" concert last night at Ohio State's Schottenstein Arena, a great venue for concerts. "Amazing" is all I can say to describe it!

Of course, no David Gilmour. But the vocalist and lead guitarist were awesome. Everyone held thier breath during the first part of "Comfortably Numb", and you could almost hear a sigh of disappointment when David did not appear. But the guitarist was fantastic. He received a great ovation after the song. I felt priveledged to be present to witness and hear his great rendition. The vocals were excellent and the band was very good, too.

An interesting incident happened. When the band moved in front of the wall after the intermission, the keyboards were not working. Roger came out, half dressed into his "dictator uniform", his boots half on, half off, and announced that they were having technical difficulties. He then chatted with the audience. He had plastic bags on his feet and he told the audience that he had to use them to put the boots on, LOL. During the lull, the audience tried to get a football cheer going: "OH - IO". I got the feeling that there were alot of people there that were not from Ohio, as the cheer never really got off the ground as it would have if there were mostly college students there. The audience was mostly well dressed 40 and 50 year olds, I didn't see too many college students. We had excellent seats. I will post photos later after I upload them on my computer.

My son noticed that Roger kept gesturing to one of the luxury boxes near the stage, and the spotlight kept shinning up there. He pointed and waved to the people there several times. We are suspecting that it possibly could have been Eric Clapton, but who knows if Eric is even in town right now. Roger and Eric are indeed friends, as Roger states on his website about the tour.

I liked the intermission tribute to people who had died for their countries during wars and protests. They showed photos and biographies of them on the wall. It was interesting to read why some of them died. They died as heroes making sacrifices for their principles and in some cases to save others. Roger's father who died in WWII and gradfather who died in WWI were featured. The tribute was very moving and sad. I hate political preaching by "celebs", but this message was very understated, leaving the viewer to make their own mind up about the message. It was very tasteful and not "in your face". It put a face on the casualties of war. It made you realize that these people who died are not just statistics, they are someone's family member. It made you feel for their loss, and appreciate what they died for. That is my take on the tribute. Roger's is a little different from mine:

Roger Explains why now.

"I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago: " What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?" I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground. We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas. 30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old. It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it's concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever! All these issues and 'isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life. This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years. In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more 'humane' ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another. I disagree. In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.

I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, " You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

- Roger Waters, 2010

Thanks for that review!

Waters and Gilmour to (maybe) reunite in Omaha

by Kevin Coffey

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Roger Waters left Pink Floyd in the '80s and has only officially performed with the band once since.

Now it's possible his former bandmate, guitarist David Gilmour, may be joining Waters in Omaha.

The (Minneapolis) Star-Tribune reported that Gilmour and Waters shared dinner last night in the Twin Cities.

But now the paper's website is saying it may have been a case of mistaken identity. In the same report, others say it was definitely Gilmour.

So, maybe Gilmour will be in Omaha tonight. Or maybe not.

During a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Waters made reference to a one-off reunion with his former band buddy.

In an off-hand comment by the Rolling Stone writer, Omaha was mentioned in jest as a possible spot for the reunion.

But with the pair's (rumored) dinner, it looks like it might happen tonight at the Qwest Center.

Gilmour and Waters last performed together at a benefit in England over the summer. Waters promised Gilmour would appear at exactly one concert during his tour for "The Wall."

Just saw this on Google News.

Follow up to above story:

UPDATE: Pink Floyd's publicist at Sony Music says that was NOT Gilmour dining with Waters last night. Also, the Bar La Grassa assistant manager on duty last night said he personally did not see Gilmour in Waters' entourage of a dozen-plus, and none of the staff on duty recognized him, either. They did recognize G.E. Smith, the old SNL bandleader who is part of Waters' band. However, the manager also said two other diners at the restaurant last night were saying they thought they saw Gilmour amid the pack. We maybe won't know for sure until after the two shows this week.

As is well known among Pink Floyd fans, David Gilmour has committed to showing up as a surprise guest at one (and only one) of the shows on Roger Waters' "The Wall" tour. This month's Rolling Stone cover story on Waters referenced that promise, and then the writer added a snarky line about London being the most likely spot "as opposed to, say, Omaha." Plenty of Midwestern readers speculated right there and then that the once-feuding bandmates might meet up in Nebraska, and now there might be more reason to jump to that conclusion.

Waters dined with a large entourage at Bar La Grassa in Minneapolis on Monday night, and at least one person in the know is saying they spotted Gilmour amid the pack. Local scenester, writer and music nut Chuck Terhark happened to be dining there for his birthday on Monday and was certain he saw Gilmour with them. "Waters was wearing a marching hammers hoodie, which was hilarious," Terhark said (marching hammers being part of "The Wall's" animation). Staff at the restaurant confirmed Waters was there, but they're uncertain about Gilmour.

Monday was an off night for the tour. Waters is set to perform in Omaha tonight, and then he has his Xcel Energy Center gig in St. Paul on Wednesday night. It's very feasible that he is spending all three nights (Monday through Wednesday) in the Twin Cities as a base and only flying straight in and out of Omaha. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Omaha's hospitality, but I doubt anybody in Omaha will be complaining if Gilmour does indeed appear at the show tonight.

If he's not there tonight, then Twin Cities fans can hold out hope the two bandmates might reunite here. Unless Chuck was drinking a lot of wine at La Grassa and seeing things.

I can't see David doing the concert in Omaha. Now New Jersey at the Meadowlands? Absolutely. That's actually coming up next week.

There's a high probability for the Meadowlands. Also, maybe he will appear in Los Angeles, one of the original cities where The Wall was first performed live?

I just found out that Eric Clapton was indeed in the US last weekend, and he very well could have been in Columbus (where he has a residence) on Friday night (Oct. 22) to attend Roger's concert:

On Saturday 23 October, Eric Clapton along with bandmates Chris Stainton, Willie Weeks and Steve Gadd performed at The Cathedral Church of Saint John The Divine in New York City. The private event was the annual fundraising gala for the William J. Clinton Foundation which works to strengthen the capacity of governments and individuals to alleviate poverty, improve global health, strengthen economies, and protect the environment. It was founded in 2001 by former U.S. President Bill Clinton. Other musical guests were Jon Bon Jovi and Angelique Kidjo.