10/4/77 Video

tom kid

I came across this video on youtube and the sound on it is of a far better quality than my boot from the same date. I was wondering whether or not anyone would know whether the sound in the video is from the 10/4 show.

I came across this video on youtube and the sound on it is of a far better quality than my boot from the same date. I was wondering whether or not anyone would know whether the sound in the video is from the 10/4 show.

Thanks Tom. Better quality than your boot? It must be pretty poor as the sound quality is not that great. Video isn't either as being very distant. But good to have.

Thanks Tom. Better quality than your boot? It must be pretty poor as the sound quality is not that great. Video isn't either as being very distant. But good to have.

Quality sounds pretty good to my ears, but then I'm used to average sounding audience recordings. :P

I'd be inclined to say the sound is from the 10th (it sounds a little fast, though)- could be it's the actual sound from the video recorder or whatever filming. Note that it's got part of the drum solo, whereas the boot has the whole damn thing cut out :o

:D Goddamn, Jimmy did look like a badass motherfucker in that getup, though...love the "No Quarter" section with the fedora hat...the Electric Blues Gangster...

IMO April 10th was the first really good show of the '77 tour. No 'gastroentritis' that night...

I'd be inclined to say the sound is from the 10th (it sounds a little fast, though)- could be it's the actual sound from the video recorder or whatever filming. Note that it's got part of the drum solo, whereas the boot has the whole damn thing cut out :o

:D Goddamn, Jimmy did look like a badass motherfucker in that getup, though...love the "No Quarter" section with the fedora hat...the Electric Blues Gangster...

IMO April 10th was the first really good show of the '77 tour. No 'gastroentritis' that night...

I hope that it isn't from the video recorder, would be awesome if the whole show was recorded in that quality. Some sections don't look like they are 100% synched with the video...

• Administrators

Same audio source, just sounds way too fast. There's a better dubbed version in the Timeline:

http://ledzeppelin.c...chicago-4-10-77

• 2 months later...

That's what I thought too. Thanks Sam...

April 9 footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDQwSsdU8OA

This proves that you can't believe every story you hear. I have had the audio to the 4-9-77 Chicago show for years but never had seen this footage. I have had the 4-10-77 footgage but not the 4-9-77. Anyway I have heard stories over the years that Jimmy played the full show or at least the last song- Ten years Gone sitting down in a chair. I have seen some pics before from this show- mainly from the first couple of songs. But the video footage shows Jimmy standing and although not fully animated like other shows-still standing. It shows clips of all the songs played except Ten Years Gone but on this site in the timeline section for this show is a couple of pics of them playing Ten Years Gone- and he is still standing. One other little tidbit- I have never seen Robert wear that red blouse with white polka dots at any other show.

The chair was requested by Jimmy at the start of his first solo. From then to the song's end he never left it.

Yeah...it was probably a case of sit down or fall down at that point!

Generally speaking, musically the 9 April show holds up fairly well until TYG. :D Well, aside from Page forgetting about NFBM for a moment by going into SIBLY after "Sick Again". Plant covered it well: "It's a blues night!" he joked, no doubt wondering what was up with Jimmy. We know why IMTOD was skipped on the 7th (they had to shorten the show to be finished by 11 PM- there was a hockey game the next night), but I'd reckon Page begged off IMTOD on the 9th 'cos he wasn't really up to it.

All due respect to Richard Cole, I have never bought the 'gastroentritis' story. My guess is Jimmy did a line of smack (or coke, but I'm guessing heroin) too many whilst Plant was berating the crowd about firecrackers after "No Quarter" and it all caught up with him during TYG. Possibly a very close call for Jimmy...not that they appeared to learn anything from it!

At least they made up for it the next night. For me it's a toss up whether 10 April or 23 April (Atlanta) is the first REALLY good '77 show.

All due respect to Richard Cole, I have never bought the 'gastroentritis' story. My guess is Jimmy did a line of smack (or coke, but I'm guessing heroin)

Personally, I think it was Quaaludes that really fucked up Page in '77. Those things could knockout a horse,

and mixed with alcohol? Forget it.

Probably didn't help having a personal '"doctor" with a bag full of ludes on tour with them, but ....those were the 70's.

Personally, I think it was Quaaludes that really fucked up Page in '77. Those things could knockout a horse,

and mixed with alcohol? Forget it.

Probably didn't help having a personal '"doctor" with a bag full of ludes on tour with them, but ....those were the 70's.

Remember, Elvis had his own doctor too in Dr. Nick and we know what happened because of that. Good thing for Jimmy, hed didn't have the same result.

Remember, Elvis had his own doctor too in Dr. Nick and we know what happened because of that. Good thing for Jimmy, hed didn't have the same result.

Michael Jackson also comes to mind.

Indeed, Zeppelin's tour doctor..."The doctor was played by Larry Badgely." (Plantation from Cleveland, April 27) Anybody have any idea how long the good doctor was with the tour? As I recall Zeppelin sacked him 'cos he thought they were stealing pills or something. Dr Badgely also worked for the Stones in '72, I believe.

Michael Jackson also comes to mind.

Indeed, Zeppelin's tour doctor..."The doctor was played by Larry Badgely." (Plantation from Cleveland, April 27) Anybody have any idea how long the good doctor was with the tour? As I recall Zeppelin sacked him 'cos he thought they were stealing pills or something. Dr Badgely also worked for the Stones in '72, I believe.

Very interesting:

http://oldarmygame.blogspot.com/

^^^

Yes...I'd read a few of those Page quotes regarding his 'liquid diet' in other places. Didn't know he took the doctor along with him to Egypt, though...can we say, 'enabler', Dr Badgely?

It all explains a lot. Ratatoille (sp?)>Banana Daquiris>Cocaine>Quaaludes>Heroin = April 9 1977! (you know, for the sake of trying to stay on topic)

As I recall, Page was a vegetarian (if not vegan) for quite some time...wasn't it around the same time he picked up the needle ('75-'76) that he picked up the cancer sticks as well? Don't remember Jimmy smoking ciggies onstage before 1977.

Christ, our boy is lucky to be alive, I'd say.

"Better to live one day as a king than a thousand years as a peasant!" - Jimmy Page, Chicago, April 6, 1977

"...For the record, Mr Page neither smokes, nor drinks, nor takes women...and we'd like a retraction from the newspaper along with a crate of alcohol!" - Robert Plant, Chicago, April 10, 1977,tongue planted firmly in cheek, in regard to a story in the Chicago Tribune about the previous night's aborted show.

Yes...I'd read a few of those Page quotes regarding his 'liquid diet' in other places. Didn't know he took the doctor along with him to Egypt, though...can we say, 'enabler', Dr Badgely?

Christ, our boy is lucky to be alive, I'd say.

Or, maybe Dr. Badgely actually was responsible for Page's survival at this point, notice the article said "Jimmy Page flew to Egypt for some time off. Due to Page's frail condition, Dr. Larry Badgely traveled on the road with the guitarist."

Ritchie Yorke "feared for Page's life at this time" as well.

Man, I sure would love to read a tell all book by "Dr. Badgely", that would be intense.

Or, maybe Dr. Badgely actually was responsible for Page's survival at this point, notice the article said "Jimmy Page flew to Egypt for some time off. Due to Page's frail condition, Dr. Larry Badgely traveled on the road with the guitarist."

Ritchie Yorke "feared for Page's life at this time" as well.

Man, I sure would love to read a tell all book by "Dr. Badgely", that would be intense.

True, but likely keeping Jimmy alive at that point probably entailed loading him up with a shitload of drugs. Who knows, though, maybe Jimmy tried to take the opportunity to clean up his act in Egypt, and under those circumstances a doctor would be a good thing to have handy. We'll never know...Jimmy and Dr Badgely ain't talking...a Badgely book would certainly be an interesting read, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement or something, on which the statute of limitations probably exists as long as the principles involved are still around. Even if the dude was sacked.

The sad reality is that even if Dr Badgeley unloaded his dirt, the dirt on Jimmy from 77 would read like this:

"Jimmy snorted a bunch of heroin, took a quaalude, was drunk, and passed out on his bed in his hotel room. I sat by his bed to be sure he was breathing."

The sad reality is that even if Dr Badgeley unloaded his dirt, the dirt on Jimmy from 77 would read like this:

"Jimmy snorted a bunch of heroin, took a quaalude, was drunk, and passed out on his bed in his hotel room. I sat by his bed to be sure he was breathing."

Let's not forget, he also had to tend to Bonham as well. Holy crap!

Archived