Grammy Noms - TCV / BOJ

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Best Hard Rock Performance

For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.

New Fang

Them Crooked Vultures

Track from: Them Crooked Vultures

[DGC/Interscope]

Best Americana Album

Vocal or Instrumental.

Band Of Joy

Robert Plant

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance

For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.

Silver Rider

Robert Plant

Track from: Band Of Joy

[Rounder]

• 2 months later...

Okay, HOW does Mavis Staples get best Americana album? Her music isn't even Americana is it? Isn't it more blue/soul R&B? Was Robert at the awards last ngiht?

Frankly I don't really think of Band of Joy as "Americana" either. You can't just slap a pedal steel and a mandolin on anything and call it "Americana". I think "Raising Sand" was much more in the vein of "Americana".

That's the problem with all these labels we put on music.

Okay, HOW does Mavis Staples get best Americana album? Her music isn't even Americana is it? Isn't it more blue/soul R&B?

Frankly I don't really think of Band of Joy as "Americana" either. You can't just slap a pedal steel and a mandolin on anything and call it "Americana". I think "Raising Sand" was much more in the vein of "Americana".

That's the problem with all these labels we put on music.

I'd say that in it's broadest sense Americana music draws from American music traditions such as Gospel, R & B, Blues and Rock n' Roll, all of which are present on Mavis' record as well as Plant's. She covers CCR, Randy Newman, Allen Toussaint, etc. while Plant covers Los Lobos, the Louvin Brothers, Townes Van Zandt, etc. All are cornerstones of the roots of American music. Should her record have been under R & B, Gospel or Rock? Should Band of Joy have been under Country, Rock, Folk or Gospel (I'm speaking here of the Lovin's "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down" as well as others he's been known to do in concert)? Americana covers all of those bases. Yes, labels can be a huge misnomer but when trying to describe music that blurs the lines between musical barriers, it fits, particularly in this instance.

Actually, Darrel Scott from Robert's band was nominated in one of the country music categories, for Best Instrumental Country Album. Don't think he won.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here because you haven't explained it but if it has to do with why Darrell was nominated in the Country category and not the Americana one, it probably has to do with his album (Crooked Road) being a Country record and not an Americana one. Plus, if he had been nominated in the Americana category he would have been put in the rather odd position of competing against himself. Then again, the Grammys can be a very hard thing to try to make sense of. For instance, many performers have been nominated in the Best New Artist category when in reality, they've had already released 2-3 albums. Then, there's that whole Jethro Tull winning best Metal album thing...

I'm not sure what you're getting at here because you haven't explained it but if it has to do with why Darrell was nominated in the Country category and not the Americana one, it probably has to do with his album (Crooked Road) being a Country record and not an Americana one. Plus, if he had been nominated in the Americana category he would have been put in the rather odd position of competing against himself. Then again, the Grammys can be a very hard thing to try to make sense of. For instance, many performers have been nominated in the Best New Artist category when in reality, they've had already released 2-3 albums. Then, there's that whole Jethro Tull winning best Metal album thing...

I thought I made it clear, but Darrel was nominated in the country category.

WHAT exactly was the procedure for handing out the awards? Most were given before the actual show? So Robert was not there (was he??), not even for the pre-show which I understand was way better than the actual Grammys with way more bigger stars. I think it was Clive Davis/David Geffin pre-party or some such and a lot of the performers not shown on the Grammys performed there. It seemed to be "the place to be" way hotter than the Grammys which I'm starting to totally not really believe in anymore. The "powers that be" that give out the awards seem to be clueless as to what category is what and who belongs where. It's become almost not cool to even show up or take quite that seriously. If nothing else though, it's a good place for exposure. I did see a lot of acts I didn't know and thought were pretty great. Not sure why the Black Keys didn't perform (did they?). All I can say is THANK GOD Justin Bieber didn't win! The various collaborations were awesome though.

I thought I made it clear, but Darrel was nominated in the country category.

You did. I was under the impression your comment was in reference to Band of Joy being nominated in the Americana category despite the presence of Darrell Scott in the band therefore creating a conflict regarding what type of music he actually plays. If that's not what you meant, chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part.

You did. I was under the impression your comment was in reference to Band of Joy being nominated in the Americana category despite the presence of Darrell Scott in the band therefore creating a conflict regarding what type of music he actually plays. If that's not what you meant, chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part.

Just a reference to Darrel Scott being nominated in the Country Instrumental Category. No big deal on the misunderstanding.

Archived