The Best Alternative to Jimmy's book......

For those who missed out on the Jimmy Page Genesis book due to the sell-out or the high cost (in my case both!), I wondered what might be the best alternative? Keeping in mind that it appears to be mostly a photo book bio as a oppossed to a written bio.

Here are the 2 books I think are best if you can't get the real thing. I only recently started buying Led Zeppelin books so I'm curious if anyone has a different suggestion or comment on what I selected.

Keep in mind these books are about the the band, but they both contain a lot of Jimmy pix.

1.Led Zeppelin:Photographs by Neal Preston

Copyright 2009 Omnibus press. Retail 29.95 USD

This book has 192 pages. Really gorgeous stuff. A lot of pictures I haven't seen before. Most seem to be from the mid 1970's period.

The author seems to favor Page and Plant the most as far as photos. Many are in color. The pages are thick and glossy too. Hugh size too 12' by 9'.

The book is I'd guess 80%+ photos some double spread. Many, many of just Jimmy too.

2. Good Times/Bad Times: Jerry Prochnicky and Ralph Hulett

Copyright 2009 Abrams Books. Retail 35.00 USD

This book has 212 pages. Almost every single page has a photo. The pictures are not as big as the Preston book and also I think the paper isn't as nice. It's a very matte finish. However, this book has some very personal pictures of the band members like JPJ dancing with his wife, Robert and his baby Carmen, and Jimmy having tea and scones(?), John Bonham at a local pub. I don't have a lot of Zep books yet, but these seem like rare photos to me.

So to review, if you can't get the fabulous Genesis book, these are still these available. Please post if you know of any better. .....:) missy

Total retail cost of both books? 64.95

Seeing photo of Jimmy Page straddle a surfboard? Priceless

i got most of the zeppelin photo books and will soon have Jimmy's book to add to that. Having seen Jimmy's book already at the Genesis Exhibition in London a few weeks back, nothing really compares to it. yes there are other books with photos in it, but the product as a whole is soo much better than the other ones i have.

the next best thing is The Photographers by Ross Halfin....which is of course also sold out and very hard to find.

so in terms of ranking we have

1. jimmy's book

2. The Photographers

3. Neal Preston's book

the rest

i got most of the zeppelin photo books and will soon have Jimmy's book to add to that. Having seen Jimmy's book already at the Genesis Exhibition in London a few weeks back, nothing really compares to it. yes there are other books with photos in it, but the product as a whole is soo much better than the other ones i have.

the next best thing is The Photographers by Ross Halfin....which is of course also sold out and very hard to find.

so in terms of ranking we have

1. jimmy's book

2. The Photographers

3. Neal Preston's book

the rest

There is no comparison. Like the picture with Roy Harper while they are having drinks in the 80's, I have only seen that in Roy's own book and the Yardbird ad for Miss Disc and couple of pictures of Jimmy, I have only seen in Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty's book. Both I own. Both of these are very hard to find, but there is still no comparsion to Jimmy's book.

There is no comparison. Like the picture with Roy Harper while they are having drinks in the 80's, I have only seen that in Roy's own book and the Yardbird ad for Miss Disc and couple of pictures of Jimmy, I have only seen in Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty's book. Both I own. Both of these are very hard to find, but there is still no comparsion to Jimmy's book.

Yes, I totally agree it is a one of kind book to be treasured by the few fortunate and wealthy enough to get it before the almost immediate sell-out.

But sometimes you need to take the rose colored glasses off (well, I do anyway).

Am I the only one out of 13,000+ members here (and presumedly fans) that wonders why Jimmy Page decided on such a limited run of 2500 copies (excluding so much of his fan base)?

Am I the only one who feels the price point is too high (again excluding so much of his fan base)?

Yes, I sure would have liked the book. Yes, I'm sure there is nothing out there,--- shall we say as "'deluxe" in nature with respect to photos.

But I also know that for a lot less than $700, I can cobble together a pretty fine collection of Zep books that includes a lot of pictures of Jimmy and the band. I'll bet some are even included in the Genesis book.

So, I just wanted feedback on books that may be better than what I picked, but understanding they are not going to be as vaulable as THE book.

Thanks for your input......:) missy

I heard last April that a lower cost version of JP Genesis book would be available in the future. Not for sure what it would be but we can be hopeful.

I really like The Photographers Led Zeppelin by Ross and Laurence Ratners book is good too. Both of these are out of print books but you can find them on ebay from time to time. I bought both of these last year off ebay. I had been looking/wanting the Ross book for a couple years and never could win the bid on ebay.

on ebay there are some signed copies of neil preston's photograph book in a special cover that are very nice. my girlfriend just offered to but me one but i told her to get the "normal" version instead, which is still a nice book at a fifth of the price and it's only going to sit on my shelf along with my other zepp books to be looked at now and then.

I heard last April that a lower cost version of JP Genesis book would be available in the future. Not for sure what it would be but we can be hopeful.

I really like The Photographers Led Zeppelin by Ross and Laurence Ratners book is good too. Both of these are out of print books but you can find them on ebay from time to time. I bought both of these last year off ebay. I had been looking/wanting the Ross book for a couple years and never could win the bid on ebay.

Thank-you for the tips. I've bought lots of stuff off ebay and have had very good luck with the sellers I've dealt with. In fact, if I can't get it off Amazon new

then I go to ebay not the amazon marketplace sellers.

Is Ross the authors last name or is it that Ross Halfin guy? .....missy

Gonna get this one right away....thanx :)

I have the Good Times, Bad Times book and I really recommend that one.

Other photographic books I have and you may want to consider missy are:

Whole Lotta Zeppelin by Jon Bream

The Illustrated Biography: Led Zeppelin by Thomas Gareth (If it's Jimmy Page photos you're after, this book has some really lovely ones :wub: )

The Illustrated Biography: Led Zeppelin by Thomas Gareth (If it's Jimmy Page photos you're after, this book has some really lovely ones :wub: )

Much appreciated thanx :):)

Rob

Thank-you for the tips. I've bought lots of stuff off ebay and have had very good luck with the sellers I've dealt with. In fact, if I can't get it off Amazon new

then I go to ebay not the amazon marketplace sellers.

Is Ross the authors last name or is it that Ross Halfin guy? .....missy

Yes it is Ross Halfin. From time to time that book will pop up on ebay at a good price. Check out your local Barnes and Nobel also. I picked up a couple Zep books there that are coffee table type books with pics in them for less than $20 on their sales tables. Can't remember the names of them right now, I'm at work.

You can also check out your local lending public library to see what they have or what they can transfer in for you. I do that with some books to decide if I really want to buy it or not. If I like it, I'll buy it after that. You would be surprised how many Zep books they have on the shelve or can get for you from another library in your State or even out of state.

Good luck with your search!

Yep Magic, already bought both those books. I pretty much cleaned out what Amazon had that was available through their warehouse. And you are so right about the Thomas Gareth book. I would have put that 3rd on my list for best alternative photo book (to THE BOOK) but didn't want to make the list too long or expensive. I don't know why that's not a bigger seller on Amazon as it's only like 12.00. It's got a bunch of color pictures, glossy thick paper, clear shots and very pretty shots if you know what I mean. :blush:

spidersandsnakes, if you are a fan of the band you are sure to like all these choices! Good Times/Bad Times has some shots you may have seen, but quite a few seem rare, and a handful are real eye-poppers.

Check out your local Barnes and Nobel also. I picked up a couple Zep books there that are coffee table type books with pics in them for less than $20 on their sales tables.

Led Zep Gurl, That's funny because I went to Banes and Noble also after the holiday and picked up "Shadows Taller than our Souls" for 7.00 and Led Zeppelin Revealed for 15.00. I'll bet we got the same ones! They're pretty good especially for the price. :D

Here's the latest thing I got this morning off ebay. A book called "Heaven and Hell" Led Zeppelin (what a title for a book ):o Price was buy it now 6.00! Very happy camper and I hope it's a good book.

I hope someone will read this post who is lucky enough to have the "Jimmy Page" new book and will answer this question for me.

Did the photo of "Surfboard Jimmy" make the cut?

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone :).............missy

well one of the signed neil preston signed photograph books went for £80 on ebay, which seems odd as i thought they originally sold for £100 but i may be wrong about that. there are two others on there still for those that may be interested

btw it's not me selling them in case you think i'm drumming up interest to profit :D

back to the Question of this topic, there are 3 alternatives to the new "holy bible".

Ross Halfin´s Photographers

Laurance Ratner - Live Dreams deluxe edition with the 3-Dimensional Silver Relief

Neal Preston - Photographs in a velvet slipcase

so amusing books in very nice appearance.

Some other books are named, a very nice photobook and a must have is Jason Draper s Revealed.

For those who missed out on the Jimmy Page Genesis book due to the sell-out or the high cost (in my case both!), I wondered what might be the best alternative? Keeping in mind that it appears to be mostly a photo book bio as a oppossed to a written bio.

The Photographer's Led Zeppelin is certainly a worthy purchase. And, although I can't say much for the text, Heaven and Hell by Charles Cross has some really nice pictures that are very well reproduced. It's not strictly a photo book, but is worth picking up for the images.

Archived