John Bonham Once Threatened to Beat Up Sting

zeppphead

An encounter between Led Zeppelin's John Bonham and Sting once nearly resulted in a fistfight, says Jason Bonham. Speaking to Spinner.com, the son of the late Zeppelin drummer said the incident occurred when his father took him to a Police show, not long after the trio had completed their second album.

"[Dad] managed to get me backstage and he threatened to punch Sting," Bonham said. "It was hilarious. Dad stepped on his foot and he [sting] was very cocky back then. He was the new young frontman and had that punk kind of attitude. Dad was probably a dinosaur to him, even at 32. I remember [sting] saying, 'Hey man, don't step on my blue suede shoes.' My dad said, 'I'll step on your [expletive] head in a minute.'" :P

And just what were the Bonhams doing at a Police show in the first place? "I thought Sting was the coolest thing in the world," Bonham explained. The younger Bonham would have been 12 or 13 years old at the time.

From Gibson

...the incident occurred when his father took him to a Police show, not long after the trio had completed their second album.

The Police second album, Message in a Bottle, was released in September 1979 so the incident must have occured at one of the UK gigs listed below. The Birmingham date is just three days after Bonham & Plant had gone together to see Wings perform at the same venue and is the closest to Bonham's home.

December 1979 UK Tour

10- Leeds Queenshall

11- Deeside Leisure Centre

12- Glasgow Apollo

13 -Bridlington Royal Spa

15- Birmingham Odeon

16 - Southampton Gaumont

17 - Brighton Centre

18 - London Hammersmith Odeon

18 -London Hammersmith Palais

19 - London Rainbow Theatre

This from "Peavey":

Just to add a little bit more to this story. I recall Deborah Bonham telling me that John had taken them to see the Police and they had went backstage. John was very impressed with Stewart Copeland's style of drumming. Deb also mentioned that John proclaimed to her that the Police were going to be the next big band and maybe even the one to take Led Zeppelin down.

I believe a reference to this story can also be found in the book John Bonham, The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin.

This from "bharrington":

I think there may be a slightly longer version of the story in Jason's bio on his dad. Something of JB mentioning Sir Paul McCartney and Sting replying "Paul who?"

This from "Peavey":

Just to add a little bit more to this story. I recall Deborah Bonham telling me that John had taken them to see the Police and they had went backstage. John was very impressed with Stewart Copeland's style of drumming. Deb also mentioned that John proclaimed to her that the Police were going to be the next big band and maybe even the one to take Led Zeppelin down.

I believe a reference to this story can also be found in the book John Bonham, The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin.

This from "bharrington":

I think there may be a slightly longer version of the story in Jason's bio on his dad. Something of JB mentioning Sir Paul McCartney and Sting replying "Paul who?"

I could be wrong and this veers off topic, but does anybody remember Sting dissing McCartney for playing Let It Be at one those huge outdoor festvals. I remember being pissed off at Sting running his mouth about something and I'm thinking this was why.

POLICE OFFICER............"What has happened here Mr Bonham, is Stings head ok ??"

BONHAM..........."de do do do de da da da " :whistling:

Hi Leddy,

If this is going to turn in to a Sting Hating Thread you can Count me in. ;) Ah One and ah Two and ah............

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Leddy,

If this is going to turn in to a Sting Hating Thread you can Count me in. ;) Ah One and ah Two and ah............

Kind Regards, Danny

What are you like :), well I have to say Sting has always had one of em faces you kinda want to slap with a wet fish :o but I do like "The Police" I like Andy Summers sparse but effecive guitar playing :bagoverhead:

What are you like :), well I have to say Sting has always had one of em faces you kinda want to slap with a wet fish :o but I do like "The Police" I like Andy Summers sparse but effecive guitar playing :bagoverhead:

Just "Don't Stand So Close to Me" or you'll be getting the "Message In A Bottle" over your bonce matey, OK "Roxanne" you "King Of Pain" you Trannie? you'll be "Walking On The Moon" if ya "De do do do, De da da da" anywhere near Me, but to be honest "I Can't Stand Losing You" because I'm "Wrapped Around Your Little Finger" and would feel ever "So Lonely" if we "Fall Out" because "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" especially that "Secret Journey" to the "Invisible Sun" yes we are "Spirits In The Material World" aren't we? but if you ever hit me in the "Six Pack" I'll make sure that "Every Breath You Take" will be "Synchronicity" for you, OK?

Kind Regards, Danny

Just "Don't Stand So Close to Me" or you'll be getting the "Message In A Bottle" over your bonce matey, OK "Roxanne" you "King Of Pain" you Trannie? you'll be "Walking On The Moon" if ya "De do do do, De da da da" anywhere near Me, but to be honest "I Can't Stand Losing You" because I'm "Wrapped Around Your Little Finger" and would feel ever "So Lonely" if we "Fall Out" because "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" especially that "Secret Journey" to the "Invisible Sun" yes we are "Spirits In The Material World" aren't we? but if you ever hit me in the "Six Pack" I'll make sure that "Every Breath You Take" will be "Synchronicity" for you, OK?

Kind Regards, Danny

I prefer the "Massage in a Brothel" version I once saw a comedian do :)

I prefer the "Massage in a Brothel" version I once saw a comedian do :)

I spend an hour making that masterpiece and that's all you have to say Leddy? :rolleyes:

The only thing they "Massage in A Brothel" is your "Wallet" mate, so keeps well away me ole mucker and goes play with thy self. :o

You knows it makes sense. ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

I spend an hour making that masterpiece and that's all you have to say Leddy? :rolleyes:

The only thing they "Massage in A Brothel" is you "Wallet" mate, so keeps well away me ole mucker and goes play with thy self. :o

You knows it makes sense. ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

Yes it was a masterpiece..........and what you wrote was ok too :D:rolleyes:

I wonder if Stewart Copeland related the Bonham incident in his autobiography. It came out last year or so, I've been meaning to check it out. I know on previous occasions, Stewart has spoken about Bonham being so nice to them, praising "Message in a Bottle." Stewart said he was a really sweet man.

As for Sting slagging off McCartney, I put it down to bad manners, professional jealousy or not being able to hold one's liquor, take your pick. Sting idolized the Beatles when he was young, and McCartney recently (in the last several years) said that the current pop star who is most like himself is... Sting. So it's not like they hate each other is what I'm driving at.

Kind Regards, Danny

Typical "BIGDAN"-styled art... Well done! :D

I wonder if Stewart Copeland related the Bonham incident in his autobiography. It came out last year or so, I've been meaning to check it out. I know on previous occasions, Stewart has spoken about Bonham being so nice to them, praising "Message in a Bottle." Stewart said he was a really sweet man.

TMK, his book Strange Things Happen hardly mentioned Bonham, however he's remarked:

"The Police has been so removed from my present life that it almost feels like Led Zeppelin called up and invited me to play drums with them".

In addition to that, Stewart kinda favored Bonham in I'm in a Rock 'n' Roll Band.

Archived