John Bonham Once Threatened to Beat Up Sting

zeppphead

Nooooooooooooooo Way, Maradona is a Madman, :o then again why not?, the World is run by Madmen, and at least Maradona is a Laugh. :D

Regards, Danny

I don't know about mad but he is a Bl**dy cheat :slapface:....oh I know forgive and forget :) ................Yes ok he is barking, if the US can put an actor in a president I can't see why the Argentinains cannot put in an ex barking footballer in as el Presidento:)

When and if it ever comes out (it's due on DVD later this year), be sure to check the Geoff Edgers documentary Do It Again: One Man's Quest to Reunite the Kinks. In it, Edgers asks each of the people he interviews to sit in with him on a Kinks song. After his interview with Sting, Sting is unable to stop and just goes nuts on guitar. It's very clear he's a huge Kinks fan. Seeing Sting turn into a geeky teenager who's crazy about the Kinks made me forget all about the image the general public has of him as a pretentious twat. Not that he's never been guilty of that but it was reassuring to see this side of him.

I don't know about mad but he is a Bl**dy cheat :slapface:....oh I know forgive and forget :) ................Yes ok he is barking, if the US can put an actor in a president I can't see why the Argentinains cannot put in an ex barking footballer in as el Presidento:)

Hi Leddy,

I have witnessed the Great Jimmy Greaves and Rodney "Toon Army" Marsh do exactly the same if not worse than MaryDonna and every one says its "Gamesmanship" :slapface: Its cheating, but then that's what's happened to the game init?

The Argies can have who they like in Power, as long as they keep themselves to themselves and leave our sheep alone no one is gonna be bovered by it are they? ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Leddy,

I have witnessed the Great Jimmy Greaves and Rodney "Toon Army" Marsh do exactly the same if not worse than MaryDonna and every one says its "Gamesmanship" :slapface: Its cheating, but then that's what's happened to the game init?

The Argies can have who they like in Power, as long as they keep themselves to themselves and leave our sheep alone no one is gonna be bovered by it are they? ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

Yes I know and I kinda thought someone would bring that up..........but your supposed to be on my side :slapface::)...Those two you mentioned were characters ., still are...poor old Jmmy though being injured, then not recalled for the world cup final, but history shows your Geff was the man.

Back on topic Stings performance in "Lock Stock and two Smokin Barrels" is pretty good...lets face it they all have egos the size of countries don't they.

Yes I know and I kinda thought someone would bring that up..........but your supposed to be on my side :slapface::)...Those two you mentioned were characters ., still are...poor old Jmmy though being injured, then not recalled for the world cup final, but history shows your Geff was the man.

Back on topic Stings performance in "Lock Stock and two Smokin Barrels" is pretty good...lets face it they all have egos the size of countries don't they.

"I am on the side of the righteous and the true,

But for a few more Quid, I'll side with you"

From a song I have yet to write.

Geoff was a most prolific goal scorer for England, and the only player to ever score a hatrick in a world cup final. :)

Kind Regards, Danny

When and if it ever comes out (it's due on DVD later this year), be sure to check the Geoff Edgers documentary Do It Again: One Man's Quest to Reunite the Kinks. In it, Edgers asks each of the people he interviews to sit in with him on a Kinks song. After his interview with Sting, Sting is unable to stop and just goes nuts on guitar. It's very clear he's a huge Kinks fan. Seeing Sting turn into a geeky teenager who's crazy about the Kinks made me forget all about the image the general public has of him as a pretentious twat. Not that he's never been guilty of that but it was reassuring to see this side of him.

I can personally vouch that he's not a pretentious twat (a word that isn't used enough in my opinion :) ). Really cool that he's so into the Kinks!

Made some great music, IMO, whatever their personalities.

Agreed. I wasn't much of a fan at first but I got into them a little more with each new album. By the time of Synchronicity I was really into them and hoping to catch their show in Greensboro but none of my lame ass friends wanted to go so I passed. I wish now that I had gone. I did catch a show on their reunion tour a couple of years ago which was good but not quite the same. No matter, Stewart Copeland is still a madman on the drums.

you're welcome!!! but..I HATE MARADONA

Oops. Madman, cheat, skank, or whatever... but he's a true legend! :P

I wish now that I had gone. I did catch a show on their reunion tour a couple of years ago which was good but not quite the same. No matter, Stewart Copeland is still a madman on the drums.

The Police was an amazing and energetic band - one of my favorites.

haha never really heard much of this story...my god the police are such a horrible 'group'

Why are they horrible ?? I know there not Zeppelin...nobody is, I am not Stings biggest fan but Andy Summers came up wiith some clever guitar parts. It might not be your fave but you must appreciate some of the stuff ? I have never been a Clapton fan but saw him live at charity show where Plant did a set and have to say his playing was immaculate although not my cuppa tea.

An encounter between Led Zeppelin's John Bonham and Sting once nearly resulted in a fistfight, says Jason Bonham. Speaking to Spinner.com, the son of the late Zeppelin drummer said the incident occurred when his father took him to a Police show, not long after the trio had completed their second album.

"[Dad] managed to get me backstage and he threatened to punch Sting," Bonham said. "It was hilarious. Dad stepped on his foot and he [sting] was very cocky back then. He was the new young frontman and had that punk kind of attitude. Dad was probably a dinosaur to him, even at 32. I remember [sting] saying, 'Hey man, don't step on my blue suede shoes.' My dad said, 'I'll step on your [expletive] head in a minute.'" :P

And just what were the Bonhams doing at a Police show in the first place? "I thought Sting was the coolest thing in the world," Bonham explained. The younger Bonham would have been 12 or 13 years old at the time.

From Gibson

When I told this story, which I'd heard from Jason, on this forum years ago I was accused of making it up

Hope those folk are reading this.

• 2 weeks later...

I met The Police in early 1980, and found Sting and Andy Summers really decent blokes.......Sting had a Geordie accent back then! Considering just how huge they had become in 18 months didn't seem to faze them. They happily autographed my Regatta de Blanc LP and my 2 coloured vinyl 7" singles.

Now, just as they did that, Stewart Copeland showed up with his brother, Miles who was The Police tour manager........what a contrast, a pair of tossers..........Stewart didn't sign as his brother told me 'he's busy', to which Andy Summers said to me, 'Don't worry, he's American!'

Pity what became of Sting after he got up his own arse ala Bono. When I play The Police now, they sound dated, but at the time, they were amazing live

Hah! I'd love to see that, Jahfin. The Police were a great band, and I agree with you about Synchronicity. Still love that album.

As for what Knebby mentioned, I think that was on the old board, so it wouldn't be online anymore. Anyway I remember it, and I'm sure some others do as well.

Wasn't all this in Mick Bonham's book?

Yes, I read a slightly different version of this story as well in (Bonzo's brother) Mick Bonham's book, "John Bonham: The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin."

Most of what was originally mentioned correlates to Mick's version, except that he claimed Bonzo said later (paraphrasing here), "Let him (Sting) have his fun. We (Zep) were once young and cocksure, too."

Archived