The White Stripes Are No More

The Pagemeister

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on this forum, and God knows I've read some over the years.

I'm not even a White Stripes fan but I am familiar enough with their music to know there's nothing "wimpy" about it. Kinda makes me wonder if spidersandsnakes has ever even heard them.

I love Meg but lets face it, the talent ratio in this band was 90% Jack, 10% Meg.

Yes, Meg is technically not that great of a drummer, but she knows how to get all of it out of that ride cymbal and side by side with other girl drummers, she holds her own. Plus she's kind of cute and has nice ta-ta's. ;)

Yes, Meg is technically not that great of a drummer, but she knows how to get all of it out of that ride cymbal and side by side with other girl drummers, she holds her own. Plus she's kind of cute and has nice ta-ta's. ;)

About that second point you made.... :whistling:

meg_white232.jpg

I like their music and Jack is talented but they got alot of their attention for the gimmick of no bass player haha :rolleyes:

I don't think it was a gimmick. Jack White has given Dexter Romweber props at nearly every opportunity he's had to do so and for good reason.

I saw them in 2005, and even if Jack was having serious problems with his amps that evening, it was a fantastic show. Extremely powerful. The whole minimalism of very simple drumming and no bass player was a very deliberate statement, and in a way what the Stripes were about - scaling it down to where there's practically nothing left but pure Rock & Roll conviction. B)

The Doors never had a bass player. I never realized their whole act was a gimmick....

Until now! :slapface:

Actually Ray Manzarek's left hand did most of the bass lines on a Rhodes bass unit while his right hand did the regular organ parts and in the studio they had some guests who played bass- example- Jerry Scheff from Elvis's band played bass on the LA Woman album and then of course Ray did his unique left hand bass sounds technique in concert. The White Stripes were two people -no bass. The Doors were 4 people- but managed to create the sound of bass in concert and did have real bass playing on the albums- not a good comparison. <_<

Actually Ray Manzarek's left hand did most of the bass lines on a Rhodes bass unit while his right hand did the regular organ parts and in the studio they had some guests who played bass- example- Jerry Scheff from Elvis's band played bass on the LA Woman album and then of course Ray did his unique left hand bass sounds technique in concert. The White Stripes were two people -no bass. The Doors were 4 people- but managed to create the sound of bass in concert and did have real bass playing on the albums- not a good comparison. <_<

Pre dating that was The Rascals and Felix Cavalier. I wouldn't call that a gimmick. It's one less musician to pay.

Too much "minimalism" has always ruined rock:):):)

"Minimalism" is exactly how rock began, along with a very healthy dose of primalism which is exactly what the punk rockers were trying to get back to once rock had reached bloated excess in the late 70s and early 80s. All Jack and Meg were doing was reminding everyone of the core of rock n' roll again. Can't say that "ruined" anything.

"Minimalism" is exactly how rock began, along with a very healthy dose of primalism which is exactly what the punk rockers were trying to get back to once rock had reached bloated excess in the late 70s and early 80s. All Jack and Meg were doing was reminding everyone of the core of rock n' roll again. Can't say that "ruined" anything.

Minimalism in r'n'r is OK if not "contaminated" by cold electronica for example.... look at Laurie Anderson ...

Minimalism in r'n'r is OK if not "contaminated" by cold electronica for example.... look at Laurie Anderson ...

Depends on what you like and don't like. It all has a place for different people, depending upon their tastes. I've never been a fan of electronica or industrial but it's all a part of the greater landscape of rock n' roll. People may not consider Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" a rock n' roll song but it got lots of airplay on my local AOR station back in the day. If all of those things fit into the puzzle, most certainly the guitar n' drums fury of The White Stripes do too. Jack and Meg pretty much took rock n' roll back to where it began.

I just wish I had checked them out sooner so I could have seen them live. I was under the mistaken impression that they were a hardcore punk band, and I wasn't into that kind of music anymore, so I never listened to them until fairly recently. My mistake. :(

I doubt very much that there is any guitar and drum fury without a little bassline in there :):)

As I've mentioned countless times by now, I'm not even a fan but there's LOTS. I can hear fury in an artist performing solo as well, that also doesn't require the presence of bass guitar.

Archived