The White Stripes Are No More

The Pagemeister

THE WHITE STRIPES

whitestripes_1.jpg

The White Stripes chose today, Groundhog Day, to bury their heads in the snow forever.

No, there will be no early spring for Jack and Meg White, since they posted a message on their website today stating that they were officially no more. They will make "no further new recordings or perform live" at any point in the future.

"The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health," the suicide note post reads.

Indeed, rather than risk outliving their welcome and turning into decrepit characters on stage COUGH MICK JAGGER COUGH they opted to "preserve what is special and beautiful about the band and have it stay that way." That basically means you won't see them aging gracefully on stage together, either.

The White Stripes are survived by Jack White's Third Man Records label, which will keep issuing the band's unreleased live and studio recordings through its subscription club.

The duo are also survived by Jack White's work with The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather. Both acts have released two albums.

Jack and Meg White leave behind a legacy that includes a whopping seven children: 1999's self-titled debut album, 2000's De Stijl, 2001's White Blood Cells, 2003's Elephant, 2005's Get Behind Me Satan and 2007's Icky Thump.

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2011/feb/02/in-memory-of-the-white-stripes

White Stripes announce they're breaking up

By BRIAN McCOLLUM

Detroit Free Press Pop Music Writer

It's the end of the road for the White Stripes, the homegrown duo that propelled a renaissance for Detroit rock and led the global garage-rock revival of the '00s.

The band announced today on its Web site that it has called it quits, closing a story that began in 1997, winding through Detroit attics and bars before global success and acclaim.

"The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health," Jack and Meg White wrote in their statement. "It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band have it stay that way."

"The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on any of us and we are truly grateful."

The band had become less active in recent years, touring infrequently and releasing no new albums since 2007's "Icky Thump." Periodic television appearances and an award-winning tour documentary last year helped keep the group's name on the radar.

Jack White, who moved to Nashville in late 2006 and opened the Third Man music complex, expanded his activity to include projects such as the Raconteurs and Dead Weather, along with production for artists such as Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson. As recently as last summer, he kept open the possibility of reactivating the White Stripes, telling the Free Press in July: "I’m going back to finish Wanda Jackson’s record, and then I don’t know what. Maybe another White Stripes record within a month. I really don’t even know."

http://www.freep.com/article/20110202/ENT04/110202042/White-Stripes-announce-they-re-breaking-up?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

One of the best rock bands formed since 1980. Shame to see them go but you have to respect thier decision and Jack's still creating great music.

This is sad :( I would have loved to see them in concert.

Well said; and me too. :(

It is sad, but not a surprise - the band having been dormant for so long. They were very exciting in concert, and so freakin' loud that it would literally blow back the hair on your arms if you got anywhere near the speakers :) Zepps Apprentice, have you ever seen their concert film "Under the Blackpool Lights"? That will give you a good idea of what a WS show was like.

The only familiarity I have with Jack White is from the "It Might Get Loud" dvd. Never even heard of him before that.

However, by the end of the dvd I could see he could play guitar and sing.

No where near the stratosphere of Jimmy's ability, but not bad.

They also showed he and his sister aka The White Stripes.

Not to sound harsh, but it seemed like she just kept a basic beat on the drums. ..................missy

With the end of the White Stripes, I think it's safe to say the "Garage Rock Revival" of the early 2000's is officially dead: if it wasn't already. I remember the 4 "The" bands that were gonna be the "saviors of rock and roll"....

-The Hives: Probably the most consistent of the 4, but they never managed to break through to the mainstream.

-The Strokes: Is This It is also in the running for best album of the 2000's. But it's been a constant slump since then.

-The Vines: A couple of popular singles (they can probably send their grandchildren to college with the royalties from "Ride") and that was about it.

And finally The White Stripes. They no doubt had the most success of the four. Elephant is one of the best albums of the decade. Seven Nation Army has taken hold in our culture and won't go away anytime soon. There are so many other songs (Fell in Live with a Girl, Icky Thump...) that are staples of this decade. They had so much success, but between the long delays between albums and Jack's many side projects, it feels they rusted away (even finishing on a positive note).

She wasn't his sister, she was his wife.

His wife?! :o I don't think that was ever stated in the dvd, or if it was I missed it. Thanks for the info!

With the end of the White Stripes, I think it's safe to say the "Garage Rock Revival" of the early 2000's is officially dead: if it wasn't already. I remember the 4 "The" bands that were gonna be the "saviors of rock and roll"....

-The Hives: Probably the most consistent of the 4, but they never managed to break through to the mainstream.

-The Strokes: Is This It is also in the running for best album of the 2000's. But it's been a constant slump since then.

-The Vines: A couple of popular singles (they can probably send their grandchildren to college with the royalties from "Ride") and that was about it.

And finally The White Stripes. They no doubt had the most success of the four. Elephant is one of the best albums of the decade. Seven Nation Army has taken hold in our culture and won't go away anytime soon. There are so many other songs (Fell in Live with a Girl, Icky Thump...) that are staples of this decade. They had so much success, but between the long delays between albums and Jack's many side projects, it feels they rusted away (even finishing on a positive note).

Thank-you for the quick history lesson. I haven't kept up on current music scene since the late eighties and didn't know Garage Rock as a genre. I had heard of Seattle Grunge because of a friend who liked Nirvana back in the day. With the White Stripes band, Jack White did this one song on the dvd called "Dead Leaves and Dirty Ground" (I think). Anyhow, I thought it was pretty good........:) missy

Apart from Seven Nation Army (which is a good song btw), I hadn't known too much about Jack and his "drummer" Meg until I saw IMGL and was suitably impressed with The White Stripes and White's abilities.

There comes a time when all bands call it a day so they are no exception, it happens to the best of them. ;)

As far as reunions go we'll have to wait and see.

Apart from Seven Nation Army (which is a good song btw), I hadn't known too much about Jack and his "drummer" Meg until I saw IMGL and was suitably impressed with The White Stripes and White's abilities.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out Jack's playing during this recent appearance with the legendary Wanda Jackson on the The Late Show with David Letterman:

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out Jack's playing during this recent appearance with the legendary Wanda Jackson on the The Late Show with David Letterman:

Saw their live show with the Third Man Records House Band a couple of weeks ago, it was one of the best musical nights I've had in ages. The Letterman show wasn't Wanda's best night, though, as for one thing earlier in the day she'd learned about her mother's passing. But they were fantastic on Conan.

Archived