Bad or unfortunate cover songs

Virginia

I searched but did not find this topic already. Found one by accident and it really needed to be posted, stat! :o:unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8BFaS8uLkI&feature=related

Hi Viriginia! :wave:

Good choice! As soon as I saw the title of your topic, I immediately thought of Miley Cyrus singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" :lol:

Here is a cover of "Black Dog". While the guitarist sounds good, the singer sounds awful! Yikes! :lol:

Scissor Sisters. Comfortably Numb. End of. That was such a putrid pile of filth, they should have been pilloried for it.

Sorry but I think thats one of the best cover version of the last decade, the Floyd themselves were very positive about it aswell. If they'd just tried to do a floyd disco cove" at random the results could have been horrible but The Wall does have an undercurrent of disco to it which I think they picked up on and emphasized. Comfortabley Numb itself wasnt "funky" of course but it was smooth and basically what they did was take the riff from Another Brick, speed it up and transplant it which I think works very well indeed.

It's godawful. I don't know a single person, even people who aren't that into Pink Floyd, who likes it. The band must have been having a collective drug flashback when they said they liked it. I'd rather listen to Another Brick In The Wall pt. 2 (and I think it's the band's worst song) than that cover of Comfortably Numb.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong again. This version smashes Aerosmith's original like a fucking grape.

Whoa, steady on there, cowboy :o. (Are we allowed to use profanities here, btw?)

That's your opinion, and you're at least partly correct, because a grape is about the only thing that REM could smash :P

That's your opinion, and you're at least partly correct, because a grape is about the only thing that REM could smash :P

I just remember listening to R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office when it first came out and one of my friends commenting how he preferred R.E.M.'s version of "Toys In the Attic" to Aerosmith's original. It also showed more of R.E.M.'s harder side which they rarely showed on record, you had to see them live to hear their covers of Aerosmith, Mission of Burma, Television, etc. In other words there's much more to them than "Losing My Religion". Great song and it showcases many of R.E.M.'s strengths as songwriters and performers but the harder stuff heard on Accelerate, Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi really reveals their punk rock influences.

^ You're right about Rocks, Silvermedalist. It's good, but not as good as Toys. Some of their later stuff's ok - Night in the Ruts was pretty good, though it gets slagged off, also Done With Mirrors (I don't think they were done with the mirrors by then, if they even are now :rolleyes:). But even on a rough night, they could run REM out of town. :hunter:

That's not a cover, Jahfin. Diane Warren is not a singer-songwriter, she's just a songwriter. So they did the song she wrote, not a song she herself has performed.

Which makes it all the worse. Then again, it's not the first time Aerosmith have had to turn to outside writers in an attempt to score a hit.

Archived