Michael Lee was a great drummer,and very impressive to watch.He's up there with the best of them (besides the one) in my opinion.

I don't think I've seen a bloke enjoy drumming more,what with that big grin of his.

Michael Lee was a great drummer,and very impressive to watch.He's up there with the best of them (besides the one) in my opinion.

I don't think I've seen a bloke enjoy drumming more,what with that big grin of his.

Ross62,

You describe exactly how I feel about Michael Lee.

He was impressive to watch because he pounded those drums with such skill and so much heart.

He always had that infecious smile going and seemed to be having the time of his life too.

Personally, I rank him right up there with the the other legendary drummers.

R.I.P. Michael.

This clip is but one example of his skill and the smile.

Just my opinion, but I always thought that Michale Lee's drumming with Robert Plant (solo) and Page/Plant was good but a little bit too erratic. I admit that if you close your eyes and listen to his drums they can sound like Bonzo, however, when my eyes are open and watching him play, he was, again in my opinion, nothing like John Bonham (and I know that there could Never be anyone like John Bonham). I have seen him play back then in person and have several dvd's of him with Robert and Jimmy and Robert. He just seemed to me to 'bounce' around on his kit too much for me. If anything, I think of him more in league with the late great Keith Moon.

If anyone has any dvd's of Page/Plant like I do, I say go back and watch him play. Sounds good, but there is something (to me) that is a bit off. Who knows maybe I am the one who is off. But, like I said, this is just my opinion and I do have the dvds to back up my opinion. I bet there are only a handful on this forum who could do the same.

Like I have said many times before, If I can give unpopular criticism, I CAN TAKE criticism. I might expect some for saying what I just said.

When I first heard they were doing the tour I said to myself, OK, who's on drums? How can they replace Bonzo?

Then when I saw the first show in the Meadowlands I just smiled - almost as wide as Michael. They found someone who truly loves doing what he's

doing. Playing Led Zeppelin songs live with Jimmy and Robert - and he gave it his all every night - and then some.

He will always be remembered!!!!

It's not hard to get caught up in the enjoyment of what Michael Lee's doing when one watches him play,is it missy.:yay:

Well now Ross, I agree again completely with you! Michael so obviously loved playing. And that smile definitely made me smile back!

Now with this post you have given me a reason to post another example of his skill, so thanks! .........:) missy

• 6 months later...

Published today on British Newspaper The Advertiser,

"A DRUM skin signed by rock legend Jimmy Page will be auctioned for charity in memory of Grammy awardwinning drummer Michael Lee on the third anniversary of his death.

The skin was given to Darlington- born Mr Lee by the Led Zeppelin guitarist in 1994, when the drummer toured with Page and Led Zep frontman Robert Plant on their reunification gigs."

http://www.theadvertiserseries.co.uk/news/darlington/9383077.Tribute_to_drummer_as_rock_star_item_auctioned/

I remember watching Lee down here in Tampa in 98 and just admiring the heck out of his drumming. It looked like he was having the time of his life, and thats infectious IMO. No matter what you see someone doing, be it work or a hobby or whatever and you can tell their loving it, it just makes you feel good to! He had that for sure.

What a shock when he passed, seems like way before his time. To bad Jimmy didnt get a chance to play with him again. I remember he said that he wanted to eventually (I think he was thinking sometime after he finished his gig with the Crows). Unfortunately Jimmy's serious back injury happened.

I thought the guy was a really good drummer. He had so much enthusiasm in his playing. He always seemed to be having a great time. Very animated player. He was fit for the job of carrying the backbone of the P/P collaboration. I got a chance to see him twice with both P/P tours and was impressed. The only thing I didn't really ever fall in love with was the actual sound of his kit, primarily the snare was a little too high - pitched for my taste, but that's just me. He was one of the best of his time. Has anyone found any footage of a drum solo from him, besides the end of Rock n' Roll? I wanted to post one, but coudn't find anything. Please post if anyone has luck finding something-Thanks in advance!

Archived