Chicago, IL Chicago Stadium April 6, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the first night out of four played in the Windy City.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

In My Time of Dying

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

(Out On the Tiles intro) Moby Dick

Jimmy Page solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encores:

Rock and Roll

Trampled Underfoot

The Song Remains the Same

Cica774102.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

chicago77.jpg

PN004665.jpg

chicago_4-6-77_mh1.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

979.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

980.jpg

bonzo77c.jpg

PN004663.jpg

Ten Years Gone

lz19770406_16.jpg

Acoustic set

lz19770406_15.jpg

Black Country Woman or Bron-yr-Aur Stomp

lz19770406_06.jpg

Moby Dick

bonzolive3.jpg

Moby Dick

PN004662.jpg

Moby Dick

bonzo004.jpg

End of Moby Dick

bonzo20.jpg

Hi David :wave:

Finally remembered to check thru the Photo section for a change...glad I did. Good work as usual.

I'm assuming these are someone else's photos and not yours personally? I ask because I notice there are none from the violin bow/laser section of the show, nor from No Quarter, and I was curious as to whether photos from those parts of the show didn't exist or if the photographer was holding them back?

Also, looking at my 1977 tour program, I notice the band's clothes look like what they're wearing here. Was the tour program put together before the tour started, and if so, where were the photos used in the program taken? Manticore studios perhaps?

Jones especially looks like he's wearing the exact same outfit as the first night in Chicago.

Hi David :wave:

Finally remembered to check thru the Photo section for a change...glad I did. Good work as usual.

I'm assuming these are someone else's photos and not yours personally? I ask because I notice there are none from the violin bow/laser section of the show, nor from No Quarter, and I was curious as to whether photos from those parts of the show didn't exist or if the photographer was holding them back?

Also, looking at my 1977 tour program, I notice the band's clothes look like what they're wearing here. Was the tour program put together before the tour started, and if so, where were the photos used in the program taken? Manticore studios perhaps?

Jones especially looks like he's wearing the exact same outfit as the first night in Chicago.

No most of these photos are just ones I have found on the internet etc. And you are correct. I think the tour program for 1977- the majority of the pics come from Dallas, Oklahoma and the shows in Chicago. I do not know if it was put on sale for the that first leg of the tour or during the second leg but all the pics are from early in the tour as Jimmy is not wearing the the white dragon pants yet- just plain white pants. From what I have been able to determine- he didn't wear the white dragon pants until the first show in Cinncinatti 4-19-77.

As for pics from the violin bow, No Quarter etc there are some coming up in the next Chicago threads I will be doing.

Being from the Chicago-land area, these pictures make me wish I could have been alive and old enough to go to one of the shows at the Stadium. If those are pics from the show, I envy whoever got to be that close to snap some of those amazing shots. Great post David. :D

Great shots that bring back memories from that show. I was able to see all 4 shows in Chicago that year and being there on opening night was a huge thrill. I bought a copy of the tour guide that night, so the photos in that program were from Dallas or Oklahoma City.

Being from the Chicago-land area, these pictures make me wish I could have been alive and old enough to go to one of the shows at the Stadium. If those are pics from the show, I envy whoever got to be that close to snap some of those amazing shots. Great post David. :D

Most of these photos were taken by Neal Preston who got to go further than any other photographer -he had access to lots of cool backstage shots as well.

Great shots that bring back memories from that show. I was able to see all 4 shows in Chicago that year and being there on opening night was a huge thrill. I bought a copy of the tour guide that night, so the photos in that program were from Dallas or Oklahoma City.

Not saying you didn't buy a program at that Chicago show-but Bonzo didn't wear that white long sleeve fake tuxedo t-shirt at either the Dallas or Oklahoma show. So some of those photos are from Chicago in fact 2 pics in this thread are from the 1977 US tour program- one for The Song Remains the Same and one for Stairway to Heaven. Maybe you got a bootleg program. I have a reproduction program and it is just like the one you can look at on Sam's timeline on here.

My cousin saw the Largo 5-26-77 show and he got a t-shirt that I have never seen anyone else have, It is just like the other Led Zep 1977 tour shirts with the the name and United States of America 1977 tour on it with the Swan Song guy BUT instead of the Swan Song guys head it has both Robert Plant's and Jimmy Page's head where the Swan Song guys head would go. It is bizarre. So they had bootleg shirts for sure and I am sure they had bootleg programs.

After looking some more- these following pics are from the second night in Chicago-4-7-77

bonzo77c.jpg

Moby Dick

bonzolive3.jpg

Moby Dick

PN004662.jpg

Moby Dick

bonzo004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not saying you didn't buy a program at that Chicago show-but Bonzo didn't wear that white long sleeve fake tuxedo t-shirt at either the Dallas or Oklahoma show. So some of those photos are from Chicago in fact 2 pics in this thread are from the 1977 US tour program- one for The Song Remains the Same and one for Stairway to Heaven. Maybe you got a bootleg program. I have a reproduction program and it is just like the one you can look at on Sam's timeline on here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I delve into the memory banks it's very likely I bought the program on Thursday. It's only been 34 years. It wasn't Saturday or Sunday because we were partying, filming and recording the shows. No time for program purchases. I do recall at how quickly the tour program was produced from so few shows. It was a legitimate program as many others had the exact same item and was purchased in the interior of the Chicago Stadium. Remember Peter Grant was still lurking about and in fact I saw him at the shows watching from Jimmy's sidefills.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

At the moment I'm listening to this show for the first time in ages...it's better than I remember it being. I take back my comments about it still having that OKC 'live rehearsal' vibe...well, maybe for the crew ("There's an acoustic guitar on this song, gents, so TURN THE BLOODY THING UP!!!" :lol: ) but it's not a bad gig a'tall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

^ cool pic! Thanks Sam. I love to see stuff like that. Btw, is there footage of the 1971 Peter Grant Interview you can put in the video section? I saw the new photos added to the Photo section - that is where I always go first. /sorry to go off topic.

• Administrators

^ cool pic! Thanks Sam. I love to see stuff like that. Btw, is there footage of the 1971 Peter Grant Interview you can put in the video section? I saw the new photos added to the Photo section - that is where I always go first. /sorry to go off topic.

Unfortunately, can't at the moment. We'd have to license it.

I've posted a rough transcript in the "Events" section:

http://www.ledzeppel...t/august-4-1971

I was at the final show, April 10th, 1977. I still can't believe my parents let my cousin take me and my brother, the whole thing was surreal. The whole family was together for Easter and out of the blue my cousin (20 years older) tells everyone he has to leave by 6 because of the concert, and oh, by the way, he had two extra tickets and wanted to take me and my bro. We pretty much shit ourselves. I had never been to a concert before being only 9 years old and I was always up for new experiences, plus, this was Zeppelin. I had gotten into them only about a year before through my brother and cousin. The show was amazing!!! I remember it like it was yesterday. I also remember me asking my cousin to buy me one of the real cool tour t-shirts and I would pay him back. He looked at me and said, "you're lucky I brought you, don't push your luck you selfish little shit." I just laughted, you had to know my cousin Tommy, he was a riot.

Weren't they supposed to do a couple more Chicago shows after playing the New Orleans Superdome?

Yes, and one of them was supposed to be an "all request" show, per Pagey, as a makeup to fans for the 60 minute aborted April 9, 1977 Chicago show!

How I wished it would have happened, just because of Jimmy making that "all request" statement to make up for his "food poisoning" on April 9. There wasn't much flexibility in the set list for the tour in '77 (outside the occassional OTHAFA for IMTOD, Heartbreaker rarely, Black Dog a couple of times and Communication Breakdown once in LA...and oh yes, the impromtu jazz piece in the middle of BYAS in Seattle), and with Jimmy playing erratically that tour, what "all request" songs would they have played in Chicago? A mystery for sure that unfortunately didn't get to happen!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Looking for lost friends from St. Louis Blues Arena April 1977 show. Brett from Iowa -looking for Mike (was an R.N) and wife Sheila from Independence, MO to share best memories

Try posting a comment on the TImeline page of the show: http://www.ledzeppel...w/april-15-1977

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived