What was about John Bonham

I was watching the "The Song Remains The Same" (for the millionth time) and I couldn't help but notice what an amazing drummer John Bonham was. What was it that made him so great? He played heavy (like a lot of drummers). He had a heavy foot (again, like a lot of drummers). His timing and rhythm was impeccable (pretty important for all drummers). I think the fact they he added a jazz element to Led Zeppelin (e.g. Buddy Rich) sets him apart from the rest. I love the technical guys like Neil Peart, Terry Bossio, Bill Bruford, etc..) but in my opinion , no one can match Bonham. Robert Plant once said that he loved how John Bonham didn't "over play". Check out some John Bonham drum tracks from the "In Through The Out Door" sessions.

I was watching the "The Song Remains The Same" (for the millionth time) and I couldn't help but notice what an amazing drummer John Bonham was. What was it that made him so great? He played heavy (like a lot of drummers). He had a heavy foot (again, like a lot of drummers). His timing and rhythm was impeccable (pretty important for all drummers). I think the fact they he added a jazz element to Led Zeppelin (e.g. Buddy Rich) sets him apart from the rest. I love the technical guys like Neil Peart, Terry Bossio, Bill Bruford, etc..) but in my opinion , no one can match Bonham. Robert Plant once said that he loved how John Bonham didn't "over play". Check out some John Bonham drum tracks from the "In Through The Out Door" sessions.

He definitely played heavy and had a heavy foot, but not "a lot" of drummers are able to actually play heavy like that. Right now I can only think of Carmine Appice.

Not only jazz, but also some funk style can be found into to his playing. He really had the groove! But he certainly wasn't the only rock drummer who added jazz elements. Take Charlie Watts for instance, or John Densmore.

I find technical drummers irksome, to be honest.

Gotta agree with Robert. Bonham had an intelligent way of playing, while still being able to be wild and heavier than ever. That's the difference between him and Keith Moon.

He was just able to "feel" the groove and give the song exactly what it needed in the percussion area. He had a gift when it came to playing on feeling. Sure, he had the technical ability. We all know that. But there was something very "go with the flow" with him that made listening to his playing that much more fun. You felt he was having just as much fun playing the drums as we do listening to them. He was one of a kind.

He played heavy (like a lot of drummers). He had a heavy foot (again, like a lot of drummers).

There are not any other dummers that come to mind who played as loud nor as heavy a foot as Bonzo. That is why he was voted the best rock drummer from year to year.

Good Times, Bad Times still challenge all drummers to this day.

I am currently re-reading Mick Bonham's book about his brother, "the Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin. On page 81 there is a quote from John Paul Jones that I think sums up the talents of John 'Bonzo' Bonham.

"I've seen all three James Brown drummers stand round him at the Newport Jazz Festival in disbelief. Wondering how one guy does what all three of them did."

He was just able to "feel" the groove and give the song exactly what it needed in the percussion area. He had a gift when it came to playing on feeling. Sure, he had the technical ability. We all know that. But there was something very "go with the flow" with him that made listening to his playing that much more fun. You felt he was having just as much fun playing the drums as we do listening to them. He was one of a kind.

Very well said, and you're perfectly right about the fun part.

Very well said, and you're perfectly right about the fun part.

Thank you. Glad to see someone gets what I was trying to say. He always sounded loose. He seemed to really love drumming. It also helped that he was a master at it, too. You put all those things together and it's a treat for the ears. And if you are watching him on video, the eyes as well.

Archived