Chicago, Il Chicago Stadium April 9, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the third night that Led Zeppelin played in the Windy city at the Chicago stadium. But this show was stopped after about 65 mins due to Jimmy Page being ill from food poisoning. Like the previous night in Chicago- In my Time of Dying is not performed but I can see why tonight it wasn't. B)

I have put up 2 links to video footage from this show.

Link # 1

Link # 2

My link

Setlist:

The Song Remains the Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Since I've been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

PN005007chicago4977.jpg

PN005008.jpg

chicsong4.jpg

chicsong3.jpg

chicsong5.jpg

ChicSong.jpg

Chicsong2.jpg

49772.jpg

770409-01.jpg

PN005203.jpg

Sick Again

PN005011chicago4977.jpg

Sick Again

PN005010.jpg

Sick Again

PN005009chicago.jpg

Sick Again

PN005014chicago4977.jpg

Sick Again

PN005013.jpg

"Food poisoning".

There was some lame excuses on that tour. A mammoth drink and drugs binge and a few shows in between.

Nice pics though!

It's hard to say. Maybe some mayonnaise got left out for too long, or something wasn't cooked properly.

• 5 months later...

^^^

Damn right...Jimmy does NOT look like he is suffering from any sort of 'gastroentritis' in any of those pix...I mean, I've had stomach ulcers for damn near thirty years; as a result there is not a lot I haven't experienced vis a vis the ol' digestive system, and I've also had various forms of food poisoning and even gastroentritis a time or two. I STILL maintain that most likely after "No Quarter" whilst Robert was chastising the audience over throwing firecrackers, Jimmy did a line or two too much of something (I'm guessing smack) and it caught up with him during "Ten Years Gone". I'm not saying Page wasn't a wee bit out of it from the get go -witness his little faux pas starting in on SIBLY a song early (as on April 7th they also skipped IMTOD)- but whatever ailment it was it came on pretty goddamn quickly, as the video clips show. Not that we'll ever know for sure...

• 2 weeks later...

I did notice Page wasn't smoking cigarettes at all during the set that night as he so freely was during the other Chicago shows that year. Someone I knew well was very close to the stage that night and he thought Page was " Coke sick." I didn't see him faint or throw up as some embellishers have suggested. He just sat slumped out in his wooden chair dragging his ass to the finish of 10 Years Gone. Unless Page reveals the truth about that night it's all speculation.

• 7 months later...

I did notice Page wasn't smoking cigarettes at all during the set that night as he so freely was during the other Chicago shows that year. Someone I knew well was very close to the stage that night and he thought Page was " Coke sick." I didn't see him faint or throw up as some embellishers have suggested. He just sat slumped out in his wooden chair dragging his ass to the finish of 10 Years Gone. Unless Page reveals the truth about that night it's all speculation.

This is during "Ten Years Gone" and you can hear Robert explain what happened to Jimmy

Also, I just found some footage of "Ten Years Gone" and at about 6:00 you start to see Jimmy sitting down

http://www.myspace.com/video/eddie-is-back/chicago-1977/16212783

I found some unseen pics-at least for me from this show- Enjoy.

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page3.jpg

led-zepplin-robert-plant4.jpg

Sick Again

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page5.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

led-zepplin-robert-plant.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine or Since I've been Loving You

led-zeppelin-robert-plant-jimmy-page3.jpg

"Now tonight, whether you were aware of it or not,uh, Jimmy has got a bout og Gastroenteritis,which is something that isn't helped by firecrackers,but it isn't brought on by them. So, uh, we gonna take, uh, a necessary five minute break right now. So you must bear with us 'cuz Jimmy is very lucky to be even playing tonight, okay? You give us five minutes please."

led-zepplin-robert-plant2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Found out that my drama teacher was at this show today! He had told me before that he saw Zeppelin live but couldn’t remember when because he was too stoned out of his mind, but today mentioned that the show was cut short because of Jimmy, and I freaked out!

He had no idea of how infamous that show is!

Archived