The Who, supported by Led Zeppelin

Rumpeller

Led Zeppelin and The Who are easily my favourite bands and, I believe, they only performed together once; at the Merriwether Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland, USA on Sunday May 25th 1969.

I collect programmes and tickets and after years of searching I finally got a ticket stub from this show the other day. I've read the Led Zep timeline, but I would love to hear about any info from this gig. It must have been crazy to have actually been there.

I know that Tommy had been performed for the first time about a month before. Only the 2nd time Whole Lotta Love was played in public. The ticket printers couldn't spell the band's name - "Lead Zeppelin".

C'mon, tell me what you know. I know you know a lot.

Zep were also supposed to support The Who exactly one week later in St. Louis, along with Joe Cocker. What a bill that would have been. Zep, in the final stretch of finishing up their 2nd US tour, would have ended the tour with this date in St. Louis. Not sure why Zep cancelled, but the tour officially ended a day earlier at the Fillmore East in New York.

The Who and Cocker did play the St. Louis date on that scheduled June 1 date.

The Who's setlist that night:

Heaven And Hell, I Can't Explain, Fortune Teller, Tattoo, It's A Boy, 1921, Amazing Journey, Sparks, Eyesight To The Blind, Christmas, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright?, Fiddle About, There's A Doctor, Go To The Mirror, Smash The Mirror, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, See Me Feel Me, Shakin' All Over, Summertime Blues, Magic Bus

Nice video TheStairwayRemainsTheSame. Cheers for that vintage footage.

I'm not so sure about Cream being the opening act, as they played their farewell concert at the Royal Albert Hall on November 26th 1968. In one of Dave Lewis' books he says that Uncle Dirty opened the show (a Lenny Bruce style comedian). Personally I've got no idea, as I was two and a half years old and living in the UK (and sponging off my parents, 'cause someone that age is useless to any employer. Even trying to speak properly was probably a bit of a mission back then). :P

Nice video TheStairwayRemainsTheSame. Cheers for that vintage footage.

I'm not so sure about Cream being the opening act, as they played their farewell concert at the Royal Albert Hall on November 26th 1968. In one of Dave Lewis' books he says that Uncle Dirty opened the show (a Lenny Bruce style comedian). Personally I've got no idea, as I was two and a half years old and living in the UK (and sponging off my parents, 'cause someone that age is useless to any employer. Even trying to speak properly was probably a bit of a mission back then). :P

In the description of that video it say's that the band at the start was Cream

nice find but i was taken aback there growing up as a mod with the who, beatles, kinks so on, then i got Zepped...and it all changed then i seen an interview with Mr Townsend saying he never liked anything Zeppelin did musically and they were so much bigger than us, but as people they are great...well i got rid of every who thing i owned and now think Mr Townsend's jealousy highly amusing....

Archived