Surely best way to get Robert back in the Led Zep world

barney2EH

..is for Jimmy to present some demo tapes of new music and ideas of such quality to Robert that he simply can't say no. Robert won't tour for tourings sake as he feels that at this stage they would simply be their own tribute band. He won't go down the Rolling Stones path. I can't believe that Jimmy's ability to create world class rock music completely ended in 1980. With the sad lack of good new guitar music on the market today (certainly in the UK) there's a huge gap ready to filled. It's no good Jimmy bemoaning Robert's attitude to Zep without presenting a viable future to him. Surely there must be more than 30 years worth of creativity just bursting to come out. Of course I may be wrong and our favourite 68 year old has just run out of steam. Of course none of us knows what sort of new music might whet Roberts appetite. If it has to be like Raising Sand then forget it because 68 or not, Jimmy has more "balls" than that, pleasant as it was. I still feel that Robert could be tempted back with a new collection of music that he feels will add to the Zep Legend. Here's hoping.

Barney

Hahaha, fucking stupid ass people. I can't believe these type of posts still show up from time to time.

As long as any of the band members are alive (which I hope is for a very long time) people will continue to insist upon another reunion.

..is for Jimmy to present some demo tapes of new music and ideas of such quality to Robert that he simply can't say no. Robert won't tour for tourings sake as he feels that at this stage they would simply be their own tribute band. He won't go down the Rolling Stones path. I can't believe that Jimmy's ability to create world class rock music completely ended in 1980. With the sad lack of good new guitar music on the market today (certainly in the UK) there's a huge gap ready to filled. It's no good Jimmy bemoaning Robert's attitude to Zep without presenting a viable future to him. Surely there must be more than 30 years worth of creativity just bursting to come out. Of course I may be wrong and our favourite 68 year old has just run out of steam. Of course none of us knows what sort of new music might whet Roberts appetite. If it has to be like Raising Sand then forget it because 68 or not, Jimmy has more "balls" than that, pleasant as it was. I still feel that Robert could be tempted back with a new collection of music that he feels will add to the Zep Legend. Here's hoping.

Barney

They tried writing new stuff after the O2 show.

Robert wasn't (and never was) interested. And really, it would have just ended up with one or two new songs being played amongst 'Zep jukebox', which is what he and Jimmy did in the 90's. That ain't gonna float his boat (man).

I think it would be interesting to see what the four guys could come up with if they got together again, under a different banner other than Led Zeppelin of course.

But it seems that Robert has a very strong aversion to making Rock orientated music now, at least from what he's stated in the music press. And I dont see Jimmy, JPJ or JB kicking it BOJ style, so I would say odds are good they wont be making any new music together anytime soon, if ever.

So any hope for new rock music along the lines of Led Zeppelin coming from the boys would come from Jason (BCC, JBLZE), JPJ (Solo, TCV), and JP (SOLO? Other?).

We'll likely see new music from Plant and Jones, even Jason, but I can almost guareentee you Page has nothing up his sleeve nor waiting for the right moment. Not only is the man 68, but just look at the track record the past 20 years. Not much there! After the 02 he is not going to fill stadiums with a backing band playing Zep numbers.....he knows the fans do not want this. He has never done a full tour of small halls and hes not going to start now. He's a man who knows what he wants at that point and we all know what that is, but he's not going to get it. Its over.

We'll likely see new music from Plant and Jones, even Jason, but I can almost guareentee you Page has nothing up his sleeve nor waiting for the right moment. Not only is the man 68, but just look at the track record the past 20 years. Not much there! After the 02 he is not going to fill stadiums with a backing band playing Zep numbers.....he knows the fans do not want this. He has never done a full tour of small halls and hes not going to start now. He's a man who knows what he wants at that point and we all know what that is, but he's not going to get it. Its over.

Page and Plant was a pretty big so there is a lot there...

Well as far as Jimmy I'll remain hopfull that he'll be putting out some new music soon, he said he had planned to do so, so I'll take him at his word. But I'll also keep in mind that he did nothing as far as new musical material (unless I missed something) through out the entire decade of the 00's. I believe thats a first for him (missing a whole decade without some sort of new material released).

Maybe he decided the 00's was going to be R&R decade, hell he's got the money to pull it off, and its totally in his right to do so. I know hes traveled a lot, he often visits erotic locals, the guy likes to get out from what I know so he's living life for sure, just not so much the musical life. But I'll keep my fingers crossed, would love to hear some new music from him.

Also keep in mind that Robert produced one album through the 00's that was composed of totally original material right, the very solid 2005's "Mighty Rearranger". Besides that effort hasnt his other three other albums been covers? So the 00s werent exactly prolific for him either as far as new stuff goes. Could be wrong of course.

Well as far as Jimmy I'll remain hopfull that he'll be putting out some new music soon, he said he had planned to do so, so I'll take him at his word. But I'll also keep in mind that he did nothing as far as new musical material (unless I missed something) through out the entire decade of the 00's. I believe thats a first for him (missing a whole decade without some sort of new material released).

Maybe he decided the 00's was going to be R&R decade, hell he's got the money to pull it off, and its totally in his right to do so. I know hes traveled a lot, he often visits erotic locals, the guy likes to get out from what I know so he's living life for sure, just not so much the musical life. But I'll keep my fingers crossed, would love to hear some new music from him.

Also keep in mind that Robert produced one album through the 00's that was composed of totally original material right, the very solid 2005's "Mighty Rearranger". Besides that effort hasnt his other three other albums been covers? So the 00s werent exactly prolific for him either as far as new stuff goes. Could be wrong of course.

That new stuff he put out on IMGL was a clue he's got some stuff planned.

As for Page, Plant and Jason Bonham "not kickin' it Band of Joy style". I can't speak for Jason Bonham but I would suggest listening to Led Zeppelin III. For whatever reason, it's always overlooked in favor of bashing Plant for his current musical direction but John Paul Jones has consistently worked with artists such as The Duhks, Uncle Earl, Gillian Welch who are just as steeped in the Americana tradition (if not more so) than anything Plant has done in recent memory. It's also worth noting that Plant covered two songs by the band Low on his last record, not exactly what you would consider an "Americana" band. As for the Dreamland, Raising Sand and Band of Joy albums being all covers, that's not true. Mostly covers, yes. All covers? No. When it comes to this topic fans tend to forget and somehow conveniently overlook the roots of Led Zeppelin themselves in favor of concentrating on their heavier side. There was quite a bit of "light" to their sound, it wasn't all shade. That's a very essential part of what made them Led Zeppelin. They had their roots in folk, rockabilly and in various forms of world music as well as the blues.

Never say never but I believe with the 02 concert they put Led Zeppelin to rest for good. It's well past time for Page to move on but for whatever reason, he seems unable to do so. I would love for him to release the new music he's been promising for the past 5-6 years. Whether it will ever see the light of day at this point is anybody's guess.

Whats this? IMGL.

The documentary It Might Get Loud. As for the bonus feature that includes the song segment from Page, it's been posted here dozens of times but I can't seem to track it down at the moment. I'm sure someone will post it shortly.

Assume Plant Page Jones and young Bonham actually DID get back together for a new album. Assume also they wouldn't call themselves "Led Zeppelin".

Assume one more time that they toured this new album and played very little if any Zep classics. They would feature the new music, perhaps some Plant or Page tunes and maybe that acoustic set like Major suggested.

Fandom would accept this? Really?

Assume Plant Page Jones and young Bonham actually DID get back together for a new album. Assume also they wouldn't call themselves "Led Zeppelin".

Assume one more time that they toured this new album and played very little if any Zep classics. They would feature the new music, perhaps some Plant or Page tunes and maybe that acoustic set like Major suggested.

Fandom would accept this? Really?

I don't think so. At least going by some of the thoughts expressed on this site over the years. What many folks seem to be clamoring for is a retread of past Zep glories. Like the Page and Plant tour where they refused to play "Stairway" they would give the fans what they need rather than what they want.

Ah of course, It Might Get Loud.

Yeah I mean 'exotic' rather than erotic, but I imagine theres some erotic in there somewhere lol

It would probably turn off some fans and that logical and no knock on them per say. Unlike us Zepp heads here on the boards who've watched these guys literally for decades and know a lot of the in's and out's of their histories, this is not the case with most or at least many casual fans. Their not concerned with the details as to why it wouldnt/couldnt be a true Led Zeppelin runion, only that it should be, at least in their minds.

Look around, a lot of people put down money to see groups who have only one or two original members in them, much less all original. As long as the brand Name is on the stage it seems okay to them I guess. Its just the nature of the buisness.

I wouldnt want to see them try Led Zeppelin, but I still think it would be interesting what they could come up with.

Thats the plan, new material from Jimmy. I'll take the man at his word. Hes said he's planning to put out some new material eventually (I'm assuming original material and not just DW2 or LR), and play live again to (I'm also assuming more than just the few guest appearances hes done of late). So we'll have to wait and see. :guitar_mood:

But if we get to 2022 its a safe bet he aint going to do anything else musically. :blink:

Expect the unexpected. The very moment people didn't think he was ever going to release the limited edition vinyl of Death Wish II he put it out. Then all of the bitching ensued. Considering the reception it received and the constant nitpicking that followed it's a wonder he put it out at all.

Look. Everyone, there is going to be NO MORE reunions for Zeppelin, as far as now. Like alot of us, I do want a reunion. But not as bad as alot of people do. Remember, it's still not Led Zeppelin. Even with Jason Bonham. There's no way there is going to be a reunion any time soon. Robert Plant would be the first to say so.

Archived