If you could ask Jimmy 2 questions what would they be?

turnthepage

I was told by a friend of Jimmy's that the Japan 71 tour was recorded in multi-track.

However,it would be nice to hear it from Jimmy in an effort to prompt him to release these shows.

I don't know why but Page seemingly refrains from releasing Zeppelin's live material.

Whaddaya mean, *seemingly*? I think the only band who even comes close to being so tight-fisted with live releases would be the Waters-era "Pink Floyd."

tight-fisted

frugal

parsimonious

Three best-fitting adjectives for Led Zeppelin.

Too bad for those of us who weren't old enough to go and see them live. Sucks to be me. But atleast we have "Song Remains the Same" documentary/film, the DVD, and what live clips we can find on youtube.

And myriads of bootlegs -- they are probably the only relief for me.

tight-fisted

frugal

parsimonious

Three best-fitting adjectives for Led Zeppelin.

parsimonious. haha...I wouldn't say stingy. Maybe he's doing it to keep people intriqued; like the same reason he's not releasing an auto-biography. If we were to know everything there is to know about Page there wouldn't be anything left for us to wonder about, and the wonder of it all adds mystery. Yet they did a lot of concerts so there's no reason he shouldn't release a few of them. It's money in his pocket?!

Some of you may not know or have forgotten that many recorded gigs were stolen from Jimmy over the years so it would seem he doesn't have too much left to release.

What we want and what we get are two different things.

There are those who cannot accept the reality that he is under no obligation to do anything.

Jimmy, do you get frustrated with so called fans who constantly complain and criticise you for not releasing any Zeppelin live shows?

Some of you may not know or have forgotten that many recorded gigs were stolen from Jimmy over the years so it would seem he doesn't have too much left to release.

What we want and what we get are two different things.

There are those who cannot accept the reality that he is under no obligation to do anything.

Jimmy, do you get frustrated with so called fans who constantly complain and criticise you for not releasing any Zeppelin live shows?

Probable content of Jimmy's vault (my opinion):

1. Raw footage and audio of the MSG concerts.

2. Footage and audio of all five Earl's Court gigs.

3. Footage of the 1977 perfromances which were filmed.

4. A plethora of multritrack records of their concerts.

5. Myriads of sounboard recordings of the Zeppelin gigs.

6. Footage of ARMS concerts

7. Footage of his Outrider tour

8. O2 Arena 2007: footage of each camera and a multitrack recording.

And much more.

And much more.

Have you ever thought to think that Led Zeppelin performed at the above mentioned live performances with paying customers at the time and that they had them recorded for their own personal collection, that is not to be shared beyond the band members? They have a personal right to all of this footage and to hold onto it (never to be released) as they see fit (depending upon management and record label commitments).

We can beg all we want, but, don't expect. If it's their own personal recorded collection, we all have to accept that and keep dreaming. Those that were there to see them live, truly are grateful. It was their time, the band's moment in time and nobody else's. The rest of us just have to eat cheddar.

Bullshit. He's got the same Tarantura, Godfather and Empress Valley releases as the rest of the hard-core collector's contingent. He has the same resources to adjust the tape speed, re-equalize, de-click and otherwise sweeten the mixes that the fans do over at (insert name of your favorite fan-share site here). Why *not* re-claim them and put them out for a more general public?

I point you to the 24 releases Frank Zappa included in his "Beat The Boots" box sets. Just for example. Yes, some of them are a little lacking, but how else are you gonna hear the Original Mothers play at an obscure venue like "The Ark" in 1968?

Same to say about LZ at the Whiskey in January 1969! It's a piece of history *and* a piece of art! It ought to be in a museum! These performances *are* going to hit "Public Domain" at some point in the not-so-distant future!

Bullshit. He's got the same Tarantura, Godfather and Empress Valley releases as the rest of the hard-core collector's contingent. He has the same resources to adjust the tape speed, re-equalize, de-click and otherwise sweeten the mixes that the fans do over at (insert name of your favorite fan-share site here). Why *not* re-claim them and put them out for a more general public?

I point you to the 24 releases Frank Zappa included in his "Beat The Boots" box sets. Just for example. Yes, some of them are a little lacking, but how else are you gonna hear the Original Mothers play at an obscure venue like "The Ark" in 1968?

Same to say about LZ at the Whiskey in January 1969! It's a piece of history *and* a piece of art! It ought to be in a museum! These performances *are* going to hit "Public Domain" at some point in the not-so-distant future!

Most bands, and especially Zep/Page, aren't going to put out any live performance that's not sourced from a multitrack. So all the SBDs stolen from Page's house are irrelevant in that regard.

As for professionally recorded multitracks, Page clearly has them all in his possession. The only "liberated" one that hasn't appeared in any form officially is Southampton '73. And since the "liberated" version is a rough mixdown, it's clear Page (or whomever) still has the original of that too.

Like many people, I wish they'd put out more stuff - including Japan '71 and at least one full Earls Court date (and, my own pet request - the "Louie Louie/Everyday People" medley from the HWWW tapes - but talk about a royalty $$$ nightmare!).

Beyond that, though, we're likely never going to see anything that exists only as a two-track SBD recording. The quality just isn't there in terms of a professional release. And there are plenty of great people who've already remastered many of the SBDs as well as or better than Kevin Shirley would do.

Now, that said, based on what's trickled out during the last few years, it seems clear that SBDs for some key dates still are in the hands of hoarders:

- Landover 5-25 and 5-28-77 are in the wild, so it's likely someone has the SBD of the superior performance of 5-30

- Seattle 3-17-75 recently found its way into the world, so someone likely has the famous 3-21 show in SBD quality too.

- And of course there was that tantalizing snippet of 6-23-77 SBD, so it's likely that all of the '77 LA Forum show SBDs are in someone's hands.

It would be great if THOSE would find their way out. My assumption is that the hoarders and the bootleg companies have deliberately released the less-desirable dates first, to ensure folks will buy them. Can't say as I blame them, given the ever-increasing proportion of "owners" of these titles who get them for free online...

Oh - and my two questions:

(1) Jimmy, would you please consider releasing a "for collectors" live series including full concerts of all the live multitracks in your possession, especially something from Japan '71 and Earls Court '75?

(2) Jimmy, a more general question: WTF?

Have you ever thought to think that Led Zeppelin performed at the above mentioned live performances with paying customers at the time and that they had them recorded for their own personal collection, that is not to be shared beyond the band members? They have a personal right to all of this footage and to hold onto it (never to be released) as they see fit (depending upon management and record label commitments).

We can beg all we want, but, don't expect. If it's their own personal recorded collection, we all have to accept that and keep dreaming. Those that were there to see them live, truly are grateful. It was their time, the band's moment in time and nobody else's. The rest of us just have to eat cheddar.

That resembles hoarding.

And much more.

He probably does have all that and more in his vault but I doubt you'll ever see them in his lifetime. If it were me, I'd with-hold all of that and release it posthumously to assure my children of financial security.

I wonder if Jimmy has any clue what we're all yapping about?

Somehow or another he knew people were complaining about his third person "On this Day" entries, either from complaints through jimmypage.com or this site. I guess it's a possibility that he visits this site. Whether he cares what we're yapping about is another story.(not that that's your question but that's ultimately where this is leading) If he cared he'd open the door to questions, or have a forum, or an actual email address or something. Honestly, who can blame him? :coffee:

Archived