Statement from Robert to MTV News on Touring

No Led Zeppelin Tour After London Show, Robert Plant Says

Statement comes just days after Dave Grohl offered his drumming services for a Zep tour.

By Chris Harris, with additional reporting by Jem Aswad

Ever since the three living members of Led Zeppelin confirmed earlier this month that they'll be reuniting for a gig at the O2 Arena in London on November 26, the rumor mill has been rife with speculation that the band — frontman Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham filling in on drums for his late father, John — would follow the appearance with a full-blown tour.

But that won't be happening, Plant told British music mag Uncut.

He told the mag that November's concert — in honor of Ahmet Ertegun, who signed the band to Atlantic Records in 1969 and died last year at the age of 83 (see "Atlantic Records Co-Founder Ahmet Ertegun Dies") — will be a one-time deal: "There'll be one show and that'll be it," he's quoted as saying. The benefit concert will also feature performances by other Atlantic artists past and present, including Who's Pete Townshend, Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Paolo Nutini and Foreigner.

"We need to do one last great show because we've done some shows and they've been crap," Plant said.

The group disbanded after John Bonham's death from alcohol poisoning in 1980. Plant, Page and Jones performed at Live Aid in 1985 (with Phil Collins and Chic's Tony Thompson tag-teaming on drums) and at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show in 1988 with Jason Bonham; they also performed at Jason's wedding. Page and Plant joined forces for two albums and a world tour in the mid-'90s and have performed together sporadically over the years.

However, Plant asserted that there will be no tour after the forthcoming show. "Not for me," he told the mag. "But I can't speak for anyone else."

The singer said he's actually looking forward to bringing his music career to a close. "I know I'm getting on," he said. "When I do come back from touring, I'm shocked to find a lot of my mates tend to be going to bed far too early, and that means I should probably be doing the same. Maybe I should stop having a good time and get old." The singer recently collaborated with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss on an album called Raising Sand, which comes out next month.

Plant's comments came just days after Foo Fighter frontman Dave Grohl apparently volunteered his services for just such a tour. After saying that he plans to sneak his way into the long-sold-out London show, the former Nirvana drummer added that he wouldn't mind manning the kit for Zep if needed.

"[i am] at their beck and call," he told British music weekly the New Musical Express, adding that if he were asked to play with the Zeppelin, "What the f--- do you think I'd be saying? I'd say, 'Hey [Foo Fighters bandmates] Chris [shiflett] and Taylor [Hawkins], let's take a little break for a few days, I'll see ya later!' But I don't expect that to happen."

Grohl further acknowledged that Jason Bonham is the perfect choice to replace his father: "Jason should be the one. Everyone knows that. He's a f---ing phenomenal drummer."

Grohl's publicist did not confirm the NME quotes specifically, but noted that he's heard the drummer express great enthusiasm at the prospect of playing with Zeppelin.

Yeah...and as Jase said, he's definitely telling the truth because if he knew anything different he wouldn't be able to stop himself blabbing :-)

He said that during the secret rehearsal, the other three went off after they'd done Kashmir to have a private discussion and that's just what's probably going on now. I don't think they're discussing whether to do more but when and where.

I'm definitely betting on Madison.

And new recording too.

Old article aside, I'm sure the show was amazing, I wish I could have been there and I'm ecstatic for those that were . I would be very , very surprised if Robert had a change of heart and decided to tour. I know that anything is possible and won't lie, if there were a tour, I beg ,borrow or steal to see a show.Robert is a man with deep convictions and a man of his word. My humble opinion is that Robert has some very personal reasons that we're not taking into consideration, or are even aware of, as to why he doesn't want to tour with Jimmy,John Paul and Jason. All this speculation is a bit crazy....we're just gonna have to see what happens...it'll keep us all on our toes anyway. Knowing that they came together and put on a hell of a show fills me with such a wonderful feeling, like a bit of magic has been restored to us all, to the world. The group disbanded becasue of a tragedy, under a shadow, and with the show on 12/10, they have restored some light and fire to their legacy,it can't erase that sadness, but it has lessened it in a way, especially with Jason sitting in for his father. I'm sure John and Ahmet are very proud of all of them.

"The singer said he's actually looking forward to bringing his music career to a close. "I know I'm getting on," he said. "When I do come back from touring, I'm shocked to find a lot of my mates tend to be going to bed far too early, and that means I should probably be doing the same. Maybe I should stop having a good time and get old." The singer recently collaborated with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss on an album called Raising Sand, which comes out next month."

He makes remarks like this fairly often and people tend to blow it off because its not what they want to hear. I don't think he really is going to retire any time soon. I do think that it is possible he will tour less and do quieter stuff like the Alison Krauss collaboration. I hope there is someone close to him that can convince him that he's not that old. Light a fire under him, so to speak. I would like to see some new Zep material and some more Strange Sensation, something that really rock and rolls.

I don't hold out much hope of a tour in '08. I wish I could find an analysis I saw here yesterday where somebody was speculating that they'd want new material to actually tour with.

I'm sure there are gonna be shows as in Plant's most recent comment 'It wouldn't be that bad to play together once in a while'

And some of that may actually just mean them playing together.

Jimmy seems to have a few tunes so...good.

Another factor moving in will be encouragement from people like Sting and McCartney and all of those who went on tour with the old stuff and really dug it. I can see it from Robert's point of view but I think he's half wanting to be talked into it.

Maybe what's needed to add to the recipe is some kind of IDEA. A concept.

Maybe that'll come out of some new songs.

Maybe Maybe

I like the maybes even though I think a lot of people here hate them.

Maybes are where the ideas come in.

"The singer said he's actually looking forward to bringing his music career to a close. "I know I'm getting on," he said. "When I do come back from touring, I'm shocked to find a lot of my mates tend to be going to bed far too early, and that means I should probably be doing the same. Maybe I should stop having a good time and get old." The singer recently collaborated with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss on an album called Raising Sand, which comes out next month."

He makes remarks like this fairly often and people tend to blow it off because its not what they want to hear. I don't think he really is going to retire any time soon. I do think that it is possible he will tour less and do quieter stuff like the Alison Krauss collaboration. I hope there is someone close to him that can convince him that he's not that old. Light a fire under him, so to speak. I would like to see some new Zep material and some more Strange Sensation, something that really rock and rolls.

I saw that article. Sadly the media took that quote and never bothered to add the rest of it which talked about how there's no chance of that yet and he'll keep going until he implodes (his words).

I can't see him retiring either. He seems so on top of his game and as though it's a new chapter in his career. Amazing to experience. In addition to what he's doing with Alison, I'm really looking forward to what Strange Sensation will produce.

Old article aside, I'm sure the show was amazing, I wish I could have been there and I'm ecstatic for those that were . I would be very , very surprised if Robert had a change of heart and decided to tour. I know that anything is possible and won't lie, if there were a tour, I beg ,borrow or steal to see a show.Robert is a man with deep convictions and a man of his word. My humble opinion is that Robert has some very personal reasons that we're not taking into consideration, or are even aware of, as to why he doesn't want to tour with Jimmy,John Paul and Jason. All this speculation is a bit crazy....we're just gonna have to see what happens...it'll keep us all on our toes anyway. Knowing that they came together and put on a hell of a show fills me with such a wonderful feeling, like a bit of magic has been restored to us all, to the world. The group disbanded becasue of a tragedy, under a shadow, and with the show on 12/10, they have restored some light and fire to their legacy,it can't erase that sadness, but it has lessened it in a way, especially with Jason sitting in for his father. I'm sure John and Ahmet are very proud of all of them.

As always, so beautifully stated Bilbo

:)

Archived