Jimmy attends party at Royal Academy

Magic Fills the Air

Fire, the man with the beard is actor John Hurt.

What! OMG, one of my favorite actors and I didn't even recognize 'im. Thank you, O sharp-eyed Strider!

I still have a crumpled-up empty Camel packet that Mr. Hurt tossed aside in the lobby of the Royal National Theatre. This was back in the days when you could still smoke in theatre lobbies. I wasn't stalking him, just happened to be in the audience at "A Little Night Music" and there he was, on his own apparently.

I told my friend yesterday about this and he joked no one was there that was under 60! :D

Jimmy looked beautiful. I also think he could pass for royality. :D Thank you for your screencaps from me too, April. His clip goes much too quickly.

It was fasinciating to see all of those people together. It was also wonderful to see Charlotte Rampling and Shirley Bassey as she looks now.

Jimmy looked beautiful. I also think he could pass for royality. :D Thank you for your screencaps from me too, April. His clip goes much too quickly.

Anytime! :D He really did look beautiful. His skin looked perfect and his eyes are staggering! :wub:

What! OMG, one of my favorite actors and I didn't even recognize 'im. Thank you, O sharp-eyed Strider!

I still have a crumpled-up empty Camel packet that Mr. Hurt tossed aside in the lobby of the Royal National Theatre. This was back in the days when you could still smoke in theatre lobbies. I wasn't stalking him, just happened to be in the audience at "A Little Night Music" and there he was, on his own apparently.

You're welcome, although if you're old enough to remember smoking in lobbies, you're older than I thought you were. In my mind's eye, I always pictured you as being 20- or 30-something.

But it's always lovely to discover another John Hurt admirer. I remember John Hurt first entering my conscious when "Midnight Express" came out and stunned everyone in 1978. In fact, it was John Hurt's back-to-back-to-back brilliance in 1978's "Midnight Express", 1979's "Alien", and most heartbreakingly in 1980's "The Elephant Man" that turned me into a John Hurt devotee for life.

In 1984 he appeared in the high-profile adaptation of George Orwell's "1984", but for my money, one of my all-time favourite John Hurt films is a lesser known gem he did in 1984 called "The Hit", which also features the equally riveting Terrence Stamp and a young pre-Tarantino Tim Roth.

I strongly URGE anyone who hasn't seen "The Hit" to do so as soon as you can. But then, just about any film featuring John Hurt is worth seeing.

Anytime! :D He really did look beautiful. His skin looked perfect and his eyes are staggering! :wub:

Will someone please arrange a meeting with Jimmy for April before her heart EXPLODES! Can't you see the poor girl is suffering? :console:

On a more sartorial note...what is the consensus regarding Jimmy's ponytail? Like it or do you think he should have worn his hair down? Is there an age when men should stop pulling their hair in ponytails?

I hadn't noticed JP's ponytail until you mentioned it - how very Karl Lagerfeld of him.

OK Strider, "The Hit" is going in my Netflix queue since it stars another fascinator, Terence Stamp. My fave John Hurt role is probably "10 Rillington Place" - very sinister.

You're welcome, although if you're old enough to remember smoking in lobbies, you're older than I thought you were. In my mind's eye, I always pictured you as being 20- or 30-something.

But it's always lovely to discover another John Hurt admirer. I remember John Hurt first entering my conscious when "Midnight Express" came out and stunned everyone in 1978. In fact, it was John Hurt's back-to-back-to-back brilliance in 1978's "Midnight Express", 1979's "Alien", and most heartbreakingly in 1980's "The Elephant Man" that turned me into a John Hurt devotee for life.

In 1984 he appeared in the high-profile adaptation of George Orwell's "1984", but for my money, one of my all-time favourite John Hurt films is a lesser known gem he did in 1984 called "The Hit", which also features the equally riveting Terrence Stamp and a young pre-Tarantino Tim Roth.

I strongly URGE anyone who hasn't seen "The Hit" to do so as soon as you can. But then, just about any film featuring John Hurt is worth seeing.

Will someone please arrange a meeting with Jimmy for April before her heart EXPLODES! Can't you see the poor girl is suffering? :console:

On a more sartorial note...what is the consensus regarding Jimmy's ponytail? Like it or do you think he should have worn his hair down? Is there an age when men should stop pulling their hair in ponytails?

I love Jimmy's ponytail but I also love it when it's in a bun. Like when he inducted Jeff Beck into the Rock & Roll HoF.....that my friends, was a sight! Good lord.. :veryhot: You had to pry me away from the tv screen. HA!

I hadn't noticed JP's ponytail until you mentioned it - how very Karl Lagerfeld of him.

OK Strider, "The Hit" is going in my Netflix queue since it stars another fascinator, Terence Stamp. My fave John Hurt role is probably "10 Rillington Place" - very sinister.

Indeed. Never thought I would mention Jimmy & Karl Lagerfeld in the same sentence.

I hadn't noticed JP's ponytail until you mentioned it - how very Karl Lagerfeld of him

Oh Strider, NO NO NO ..

Jimmy and Karl Largerfeld.. they have artistic talent, silver hair, ponytails, are each in their way tasteful / sartorial icons, favour the colour black, look great in shades ... END OF.

KL is a remote plastic construct who threatens women by making them wear impossible garments. ..

JP is all too human and threatens women to the edge of sanity ..

And since you ask: the ponytail/no ponytail issue is very troubled...

I think he got away with no ponytail during the O2 era, though it went a bit wild ... but the Ross Halfin photo for the O2 programme, plus other shots taken around that time, look like a lot of styling was having to happen around his locks. However image conscious he might be, it all looked a bit high maintenance - for anyone..

The It Might Get Loud phase ( front part of hair pulled back in a hair tie ) shortly afterwards was a half way house ..

But for me, the ponytail is a triumph... it's cool, and translates to many occasions: he allows it to be unkempt at times, but at others it can be very formally styled ( very tidy and formal this week at the Royal Academy, and the version in the ill-fated Beijing press conference of January 2010 I remember to be very formal ( particularly at the back) almost in deference to a Chinese approach... )

For me it just rocks : I love the contrast between the slick and tidy look from the front, and the suggested wildness of the long hair behind... definitely prefer it to the all-over shortish ( and dyed black ) hair of the early 2000s .

Edited by truth and beauty

Midnight Express is one of my favorite movies ever. Pretty unbelievable. Never forget the screech of John Hurt's cat in the film.

Oh Strider, NO NO NO ..

Jimmy and Karl Largerfeld.. they have artistic talent, silver hair, ponytails, are each in their way tasteful / sartorial icons, favour the colour black, look great in shades ... END OF.

That wasn't me.

I agree SuperDave. He looks damn good at 68 and especially for someone whose nickname was Hoover Nose,drank enough booze that could flood London and smoked enough ciggies that would kill an elephant with the second hand smoke.

And don't forget the speed balls he did, that made him look close to a living skeleton from around 1977-83.

• 2 weeks later...
And since you ask: the ponytail/no ponytail issue is very troubled...

I think he got away with no ponytail during the O2 era, though it went a bit wild ... but the Ross Halfin photo for the O2 programme, plus other shots taken around that time, look like a lot of styling was having to happen around his locks. However image conscious he might be, it all looked a bit high maintenance - for anyone..

The It Might Get Loud phase ( front part of hair pulled back in a hair tie ) shortly afterwards was a half way house ..

I personally loved that. It looks too young to wear it down, but too stiff to wear it completely pulled back. The half updo is the best of both worlds, and very sexy if I must say.

I personally loved that. It looks too young to wear it down, but too stiff to wear it completely pulled back. The half updo is the best of both worlds, and very sexy if I must say.

I think in this debate "sexy" is not a variable. I would like to know what weird thing he could possibly do to his hair which would render him unsexy !!