Stairway solo at O2 reunion

I was checking out STH from the O2 gig and am surprised to discover that it was only 50 seconds long! Did anyone notice this, it really seems overly abbreviated, as if he couldn't wait to get through it. No Quarter for example, was abbreviated too, but at least he dug into a bit. I know they wisely cut down the epic jams at this reunion gig, but considering STH is deservedly the most famous song and best rock solo of all time, it really seemed like he held back a great deal. Comments anyone?

I was checking out STH from the O2 gig and am surprised to discover that it was only 50 seconds long! Did anyone notice this, it really seems overly abbreviated, as if he couldn't wait to get through it. No Quarter for example, was abbreviated too, but at least he dug into a bit. I know they wisely cut down the epic jams at this reunion gig, but considering STH is deservedly the most famous song and best rock solo of all time, it really seemed like he held back a great deal. Comments anyone?

Very good points.

Allow me to direct you to a wealth of information already made on this topic!

The "Original" O2 Stariway Solo Thread

Please post there. Your input is much appreciated!

I was checking out STH from the O2 gig and am surprised to discover that it was only 50 seconds long! Did anyone notice this, it really seems overly abbreviated, as if he couldn't wait to get through it. I know they wisely cut down the epic jams at this reunion gig, but this is the most famous and best rock solo of all time, it really seemed like he held back a great deal. Comments anyone?

I bet that went over half the people's heads at the show. Think half those celebrities or corporate people even knew it was short?

Take this with a grain of salt, but Plant has commented that 1 reason he doesn't like STH that much is that he hated standing around for "15 minutes" during Jimmy's solo. :)

One more grain, Jimmy said recently that we might play it short because people didn't think he could play it like it is on the studio recording.

Doesn't matter to me, I would have preferred The Rover, or something else to fill that time spot.

Doesn't matter to me, I would have preferred The Rover, or something else to fill that time spot.

I would have rather they dropped Misty Mountain Hop. I never liked the chromatics in that. Sounds too dissonant. Robert just happens to really like that song. When he first started playing Zep tunes in his solo act in 1988 that was one of the songs he chose to do.

That guitar is real heavy and difficult to play!!!

the "Stairway to Heaven" solo is amazing anyway its played in my opinion. He said in the the Guitar World interview that he was going to play the studio versions of the songs at the O2 Arena show to show people he can actually play them instead of doing inprov. thats why it is so short because its the studio length.

That guitar is real heavy and difficult to play!!!

When I tried one in a guitar store I was surprised. It actually weighs less than a Les Paul. It does have only 20 frets, though, and the upper fret access is difficult. When he played Stairway during Outrider he would sometimes finish the solo off an octave lower.

IMHO, he should have had a custom doubleneck built a lot time ago with at least 22 frets and deeper cutaways, kind of like what John McLaughlin did.

I just watched the "better version of Stairway" off Ledded's post. Ill tell you I think the song was done great. I think the lead was short but very effective. He didnt miss the classic parts of the solo, kind of resorting back to the studiio version which many find to be the best. There were moments when Robert had his higher range during this concert-some songs more than others. Maybe he was "playing it safe some". If he had a few more concerts under his belt I think he would be more daring and let loose a bit more. that said, Stairway was great as always and so were they as always.

I also share this opinion, after seeing the better quality clip I changed my mind about Jimmy's solo, it's sweet as is.

I bet that went over half the people's heads at the show. Think half those celebrities or corporate people even knew it was short?

Take this with a grain of salt, but Plant has commented that 1 reason he doesn't like STH that much is that he hated standing around for "15 minutes" during Jimmy's solo. :)

One more grain, Jimmy said recently that we might play it short because people didn't think he could play it like it is on the studio recording.

That seems like a strange reason. If that were true then he must despise No Quarter and Dazed. :huh:

Jimmy most assuredly was lost towards the end of the solo.

Not a very stellar moment in my estimation.The whole tune didnt pack much of a punch.

Yeah I felt Jimmy was a little "lost" during the solo as well, although I thought the rest of the song was nice nicely. IMO Plant sang Stairway beautifully.

I think part of this was due to his finger and Im sure he had the issue of time being limited in the back of his mind. Im sure he would have loved to have kept going on it, but there was the issue of time. I still cant believe that he went through with this concert with a bum finger. Its too bad he hurt it and Im sure under normal circumstances he would have postponed a bit longer. But he felt obligated to go through with it. If they play again i assure you that when he is 100 percent he will tear the place down!

Considering Page broke his finger a few weeks back and he's gonna be 64 in 3 weeks, he definitely came through like a champ overall.

Archived