Jimmy At No. 3 In Latest Rolling Stones 'Greatest Guitarist' List

kenog

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/jimi-hendrix-tops-new-greatest-guitarist-list_1368641

Jimi Hendrix has seen off competition from a string of Brits to top a new Greatest Guitarists poll.

The rock legend landed at number one on the Rolling Stone list ahead of Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and Jeff Beck, who make up the top five.

Guitar greats like Pete Townshend, who comes in at number 10 on the top 100 countdown, Tom Petty, Carlos Santana and Eddie Van Halen offer their tributes to select axemen on the list.

In an essay about Hendrix, The Who star Townshend writes, "I feel sad for people who have to judge Jimi Hendrix on the basis of recordings and film alone, because in the flesh he was so extraordinary... He had a power that almost sobered you up if you were on an acid trip.

"He was shy and kind and sweet, and he was f**ked up and insecure... There was also something quite sad about watching him... Toward the end of his life, he seemed to be having fun, but maybe a little too much. It was happening to a lot of people, but it was sad to see it happen to him."

Townshend also admits he gave up trying to become the world's greatest guitarist after seeing Hendrix onstage: "I didn't have any envy; I never had any sense that I could ever come close.

"I remember feeling quite sorry for Eric (Clapton), who thought that he might actually be able to emulate Jimi... because I thought Eric was wonderful anyway.

"Once, I think it was at a gig Jimi played... (in London), Eric and I found ourselves holding hands. You know, what we were watching was so profoundly powerful."

The experts who voted for the top 100 guitarists included Phish star Trey Anastasio, Metallica's Kirk Hammett, Albert Hammond, Jr. of The Strokes, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry and Lenny Kravitz.

The top 10 list is:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7.Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9.Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

Almost no one on this list has done anything in the last few years since the last list yet they are moving up the list? Really? At this rate I'll make one of these lists. It's not totally absurd, I'm definitely more deserving than a lot of the people who make the top 100. I'd also bet my left arm that if Ted Nugent endorsed a liberal for office or joined the ACLU he'd make the top 10 overnight.

At this rate I'll make one of these lists. It's not totally absurd, I'm definitely more deserving than a lot of the people who make the top 100. I'd also bet my left arm that if Ted Nugent endorsed a liberal for office or joined the ACLU he'd make the top 10 overnight.

:wtf:

You've already informed us that Pagey is a republican, so that blows your thesis away right there.

Let the betting begin....

Perhaps it's just the Nuge isn't really that great of a guitarist. And, if people want to base this on current works, what has Blackmore done in recent years that lives up to his legacy with Deep Purple, Blackmore's Night?

Blackmore's playing on B-More's Night although refrained in parts shows his mastery of the acoustic guitar and soloing skills still there, so on that front his legacy is up there in his playing alongside Purple and Rainbow, although the songs not so much.

And, if people want to base this on current works, what has Blackmore done in recent years that lives up to his legacy with Deep Purple, Blackmore's Night?

I don't know if this refers to my comment or not so I'll clarify mine just in case. I was wondering how you can move up a list when you are being judged on the exact same material as the last time the list was compiled. It's understandable to see the list shift if a new guitarist comes along or a veteran guitarist puts out some new music which adds to his legacy. But to look at the exact same body of material twice and rate it different is pointless. Yeah, different people probably voted but the fact remains that the publication is doing some very silly things.

Almost no one on this list has done anything in the last few years since the last list yet they are moving up the list? Really? At this rate I'll make one of these lists. It's not totally absurd, I'm definitely more deserving than a lot of the people who make the top 100. I'd also bet my left arm that if Ted Nugent endorsed a liberal for office or joined the ACLU he'd make the top 10 overnight.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's funny.

These "polls" happen SO OFTEN, (from RS or otherwise) and they usually contain the same top 10 or 20 (even though they may be in a different order)-that they have to have a meaningless point by now to most who read them. (I would hope) There has to be a countless number of post/threads on this already here (even though this may be the latest) so all it really does is give a few members something to talk about...but it really doesn't change someone's mind on what they think,nor does it matter. They're so predicable most of the time, with Hendrix almost always being #1, with Clapton not far behind. I'd almost be shocked not to see Hendrix in any other spot...it's pretty much a given on ANY list. That's quite boring if you asked me. I can't see anyone taking these polls with any more than a grain of salt.

Edited by Rock Historian

No flames left in the fire for this one.....

Ted Nuge & Da Redneck Renegade's

Reminds me of a few washed up cover bands I've seen back in the day (that still play at kiddie festivals, etc)...Guess huntin season must be at a close...gotta make it somehow

Edited by Rock Historian

Why is it every time I see Led Zeppelin in a 'greatest' countdown, they're always #3?

Because other bands exist too. I love Led Zeppelin, but they can't be the absolute best at everything, all the time. There are and there have been, other supremely talented musicians making mjusic.

Has everyone's dope smoking caused short-term memory loss? This is the SAME EXACT list we bickered about last year!!!

All Rolling Stone did was take the original article and publish a stand-alone magazine to squeeze an extra dime out of suckers. It's the same damn list in the same damn order with the same text, voters, etc.

I'm surprised the usually sharp-eyed Jahfin didn't notice.

Anyone complaining about Jimmy finishing #3 should be happy. It wasn't that long ago that Jimmy was #9 in the Rolling Stone poll. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that Jimmy wasn't even in the Top 10.

And #3 is about as high as you can realistically expect Jimmy to finish for the foreseeable future. Jimi Hendrix will always be #1 because he was so far ahead of everyone else when he came on the scene...minds were blown, he was THAT good! Eric Clapton will always be #2 because he was first in relation to Jimmy and Jeff Beck: he was the first Yardbirds guitar player and Cream came before Led Zeppelin and Beck's group. That will always matter to the older voters, who remember the English tube stations tagged with "Clapton is God" graffiti.

Now, as time goes on and younger voters replace the old ones, then maybe Jimmy makes more headway versus Clapton. You can see this already happening as within a decade, Jimmy has moved from #9 to #3.

I don't see anyone knocking off Jimi from his #1 perch...that's pretty much written in stone.

And yes, welcome back Electrophile! Where ya been girl? It's been too long.

Edited by Strider