Was there any new material ready to be recorded in 1980/81?

barney2EH

Given that the 1980 US tour was already in the planning stage, would Jimmy have had some material in a finished/unfinished state ready to be included on a potential new album? Was a new album mooted, or was the group in too bad a physical and mental state for that to be possible?

All we know is that Jimmy has said that he & Bonzo thought ITTOD was too soft and they wanted to rock out more on the next release. But that's it.

I mean, you could speculate that some of the jams from the Death Wish II soundtrack could've ended up as Zep tunes, but we'll just never know.

During the Over Europe summer tour the only new material performed was from ITTOD, and Jimmy has never suggested they had other unfinished tracks. If there were any one would think they would have been considered for the Coda release in 1982.

I believe the only one I could reference is "Shake My Tree" from Coverdale Page. Jimmy claimed that he introduced that riff around the time of ITTOD and "Bonzo was the only one who knew what to do with it"...

So between 1978 and 1980 there was almost nothing being written. Make you wonder if the group could have made the transition into the 80's even if Bonzo had lived.

I'm sure the band would have managed quite well!

I believe the only one I could reference is "Shake My Tree" from Coverdale Page. Jimmy claimed that he introduced that riff around the time of ITTOD and "Bonzo was the only one who knew what to do with it"...

That opening riff was all he had at the time...it didn't evolve into a song (Shake My Tree) until 1991.

So between 1978 and 1980 there was almost nothing being written.

They were on hiatus for 10 months following Karac's death, but then wrote and recorded an album (ITTOD) in just seven months.

I read that Jimmy Page had some new material he was working on for a ninth studio album. As far as I've heard nothing was completed or even yet recorded so there are no unreleased tracks out there. It did state that some of the material he had begun, though there wasn't very much, was finished and recorded for other projects. I don't know how credible the author is but for what it's worth that's what I've heard.

Jimmy mentioned a guitararmy version of the starting riff.Is there an unrealeased piece to be heard somewhere.?

So between 1978 and 1980 there was almost nothing being written. Make you wonder if the group could have made the transition into the 80's even if Bonzo had lived.

i am sure they would have continued,

but page was talking critically about the popular computermusic of these days.

with xyz ,roy harper and his further projects he tried to keep the old ideals.

but i really don´t know why he did not completed the guitararmy project or the lucifer rising.

on the other side great composeres always write new material.so i am sure there is something written

in the period you mentioned.why they did not release all that is a diffrent story.

After a decade, it's really hard to say how a band fares when they're older and a younger generation starts buying music and supporting bands around their age. Most of those guys want fresh meat anyway, they don't want to go stale and stagnant, but if they start following trends, it comes off as try hard and bandwagon jumping.

Were Page and Plant even getting along towards the end of Led Zeppelin? I think Page's condition at the time was on and off, and after LZ broke up, they all went into a funk for a while.

new material he was working on for a ninth studio album.

Completely unsourced beyond heresay from a drum tech:

Bonham had the beginnings of two songs they had tried to sort and chart during rehearsals that summer. One extraordinary the other unique probably would not have made it to a final release.

Page has a veritable attic load of musical ideas/sketches never brought to the band and a few he brought to the band yet never fleshed out or became other songs.

Plant same.

Jones who knows- he probably has symphonies in four different arrangements.

Hours of ideas recorded at BY & Headly Grange never made it or eventually became different songs.

I don't recall him ever using the phrase guitararmy in reference to the starting riff (which evolved into Shake My Tree).

i did read that in an interview but don´t remember where.He said that he had a diffrent version with severall

guitars but he did not choose this for the later release.

Archived