Fav. classic movies/actors/actresses

jayceeporter

Jaycee was asking about classic actors 'n films though, which is kind of a different subject. If someone asked you who your fave actors/actresses are, you'd probably cite people from contemporary films, rather than if you were specifically asked about classic actors. Just sayin'.

I dig James Dean & Laurence Harvey among the fellas. I've only seen two Merle Oberon films so far, but she was spell-binding.

Allen Jenkins (Dead End)

Thomas Mitchell (It's A Wonderful Life)

Barton MacLane (Treasure Of The Sierra Madre)

Leslie Howard (The 49th Parallel, The Petrified Forest)

Walter Brennan (Sgt. York)

Joan Bennett (Scarlet Street)

Peter Lorre (The Maltese Falcon, 'M'

Just to name a few.

:^)

They're pretty bland nowadays, aren't they? [fully aware that she sounds like a typical cranky old person] I can't get excited about yer Ryan Reynolds and yer numerous starlets who seem like they were all hatched from the same petri dish, so similar do they look and sound.

Mind, there are wonderful contemporary actors around: Ewan MacGregor, for one.

They're pretty bland nowadays, aren't they? [fully aware that she sounds like a typical cranky old person] I can't get excited about yer Ryan Reynolds and yer numerous starlets who seem like they were all hatched from the same petri dish, so similar do they look and sound.

Mind, there are wonderful contemporary actors around: Ewan MacGregor, for one.

I strongly agree. A pretty face does not equate to talent.

And I have had a massive crush on Mr. McGregor for a few years now. Ever since I saw his performance in one episode of E.R.

Damn straight, he was SOOO brilliant in that Dean biopic. He doesn't even look like James Dean, but he inhabited the character so completely, it was uncanny and deeply impressive.

Between you and me though: sometimes I wonder if that performance was a fluke, or down to the director or something. It's not that James Franco is a bad actor, but I've never seen him (so far - and he's still a young man) rise to that level again. I mean, General Hospital? Pineapple Express?

Damn straight, he was SOOO brilliant in that Dean biopic. He doesn't even look like James Dean, but he inhabited the character so completely, it was uncanny and deeply impressive.

Between you and me though: sometimes I wonder if that performance was a fluke, or down to the director or something. It's not that James Franco is a bad actor, but I've never seen him (so far - and he's still a young man) rise to that level again. I mean, General Hospital? Pineapple Express?

Like you said, he's still relatively young, but have you seen "127 Hours"? He's very good in that. Then there's the thing that started it all: "Freaks and Geeks", one of the best TV shows ever.

I'm thinking of starting an 8x10 photo collection of the older stars.

If you're ever in Hollywood, stop by my friend's store Larry Edmunds Bookshop. They got 8x10s, 11x14s, Lobby Cards, posters, scripts, old movie magazines, autographed photos, tons of stuff on old, classic film stars...and new.

Archived