english Premier league forescat

weslgarlic

Liverpool kind of muddling along. Not a bad week's work...two draws and a victory yesterday against Chelsea. But with 12 goals for and 12 goals against, they are almost the definition of 'average'. The best you can say about them is that they haven't lost a game since September 12...against Man U, natch.

Oh the days of us actually winning a game!  Man United are a shadow of their former selves. Dull and predictable. A bit like eating a Macshite or even worse locked in a room for an hour with a Coldplay album blasting out. Don't understand Van Gaal's tactics at all. I always thought the idea was to score a goal and don't concede to win, but alas it's not his philosophy. Bore the opposition into saying " go on get it over with" and happy days. Apparently the faithful last evening had had enough. Booing and jeering was heard - a rarity in Fergie days, but it didn't stop Van whatshisname substituting his striker with Fellani, who would not look out of place at a topiary competition or an episode of Shaft. God help me if my mate, who always takes me to the Southampton fixture, asks me this year. It could be a very long 90 minutes. Though I could take up knitting and finish a pair of booties for my nieces baby ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I will take Leicester City over any team in the Premier League or in any league in Europe except maybe for Barcelona?  I love Leicester to win tomorrow

See what happens when they meet Van Dull today. I would dearly love us to get a win and go top but I predict a lifeless 0-0 bore draw. And to say Leicester are the second best team in Europe is hilarious:blink:

ooh YES...

They are the best non known team in America.  Ok?  Agree?  They beat Manchester United 4-0.  Manchester are the NY Yankees of English soccer in case any casual american fans read this.  I do not like the Yankees and now I do not like Manchester.  I like Leicester and Chelsea.  So there.  Have a go at me old chap!!!:lol: I was very disappointed when MU tied the game after that brilliant goal.  11 straight games scored in is very impressive.  

1-1 game today for Leicester, similar to what CP said.  Taking more of an interest in the sport now that my city has a very popular team in the  dreaded MLS league.  It's a very cool family/party vibe at the games and now we have a women's team beginning play next year.  Like I said we are definitely paying more attention to the sport as a whole.  Couple of questions - why does the PL play during the worst weather months over there?  What is the season time period? :peace: 

1-1 game today for Leicester, similar to what CP said.  Taking more of an interest in the sport now that my city has a very popular team in the  dreaded MLS league.  It's a very cool family/party vibe at the games and now we have a women's team beginning play next year.  Like I said we are definitely paying more attention to the sport as a whole.  Couple of questions - why does the PL play during the worst weather months over there?  What is the season time period? :peace: 

The football (soccer if you prefer) is always played in the winter Walt. The season basically goes from August to April. Same everywhere in Europe except the countries that get harsh winters as they have a winter break. If it was played in the summer then it would clash with the summer sports - especially here in England, Cricket. It is a winter sport always has been always will be. And to be honest our climate is temperate compared to northern and eastern Europe. We may get a lot of rain but it is very rarely freezing

It would also be too hot in continental Europe, like playing in Florida in June - hey remember the World Cup in the US where the players were dropping like flies?. Also the summer is when the European Football Championship is held and along with the World Cup every 4 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so the Euro 2016 groupings are set. We've got the dreaded wretched Schnitzels in our group uugh... my second team is England. It'll be great for host France to have some good cheer in the summer. Which team(s) is everyone rooting for? 

Group-by-group breakdown of Euro 2016

Group A

France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

Group B

England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Group C

Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland

Group D

Spain, Czech Rep, Turkey, Croatia

Group E

Belgium, Italy, Rep.Ireland, Sweden

Group F

Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

http://www.tsn.ca/group-by-group-breakdown-of-euro-2016-1.408251

Edited by Patrycja

Ok, so the Euro 2016 groupings are set. We've got the dreaded wretched Schnitzels in our group uugh... my second team is England. It'll be great for host France to have some good cheer in the summer. Which team(s) is everyone rooting for? 

Group-by-group breakdown of Euro 2016

Group A

France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

Group B

England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Group C

Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland

Group D

Spain, Czech Rep, Turkey, Croatia

Group E

Belgium, Italy, Rep.Ireland, Sweden

Group F

Portugal, Iceland, Austria, Hungary

http://www.tsn.ca/group-by-group-breakdown-of-euro-2016-1.408251

Obviously not The Scots ;)

Germany Kiwi ?? How could you? :o

Spain for me.

Couldn't give a shit about England. Boring, pedestrian rubbish from Woy Hodgson's men. Even though they won all their group matches, mainly because they numbed the opposition into submission, England are perennial failures in comps. Our press will whip up the hysteria saying things like "50 years of hurt" ( a reference to when England actually won a tourney), and Rooney to shine !! No chance. It will be a real pleasure to see Wales beating us and the fans will hold their heads in their hands at the shock ( or not). My predictions will be for England:

England 0 - Wales 2

England 0 - Russia 1

England 0 - Slovakia 0

As you can see our boys fail to find the net (again) and anyway me and Mrs CP will go and play golf, record the games and laugh/fall asleep as required.

Germany Kiwi ?? How could you? :o

Spain for me.

Couldn't give a shit about England. Boring, pedestrian rubbish from Woy Hodgson's men. Even though they won all their group matches, mainly because they numbed the opposition into submission, England are perennial failures in comps. Our press will whip up the hysteria saying things like "50 years of hurt" ( a reference to when England actually won a tourney), and Rooney to shine !! No chance. It will be a real pleasure to see Wales beating us and the fans will hold their heads in their hands at the shock ( or not). My predictions will be for England:

England 0 - Wales 2

England 0 - Russia 1

England 0 - Slovakia 0

As you can see our boys fail to find the net (again) and anyway me and Mrs CP will go and play golf, record the games and laugh/fall asleep as required.

Awww...CP :console2: You know what? I've got hopes for England! Yep, you read that right! After Germany, they are the next team that I am rooting for. I mean, their group looks rather easy and they have after all, won all of their matches in the build up towards Euro 2016! So, you never know! Just have faith! :) Anything can happen in football!! 

Obviously not The Scots ;)

HA! Didn't even notice they weren't in it till you mentioned them. Shocking indeed that the Netherlands are spectators next year, too.This is why I always have a second option at the ready. Every now and again, powerhouse (ahem) Poland doesn't make it. But cheering on my second team, England, has led to heartaches on the European and global stages as well as you noted. After sentimental favourite France, it becomes a matter of cheering against certain teams. I don't care which team wins so long as it's not team X lol

Kiwi! You're cheering for the Schnitzels?! It's all friendly now, but come June it'll be full on :watchingyou: you and Strider. 

Yes, I am, Patrycja! :P But hey, at least we are both cheering for England (and hopefully, CP will be joining us eventually! B) ), so it can't be all that bad! ;) 

You're annoyingly nice, Kiwi, and make it hard to treat you as a fan of the enemy, but I will have to try. Chances are you'll have far more opportunity to rub it in, so yes, let's hope we're cheering for England sooner rather than later :D 

You're annoyingly nice, Kiwi, and make it hard to treat you as a fan of the enemy, but I will have to try. Chances are you'll have far more opportunity to rub it in, so yes, let's hope we're cheering for England sooner rather than later :D 

Thank you Pat, very kind of you! :friends: I aim to please! :lol: Euro 2016 is sure going to be a fascinating contest! Can't wait!! Here's hoping that England proves critics wrong! :D 

I am kicking ass with Leicester City.  They have not let me down yet.  I went like 9 of 10 yesterday including picking a draw on the Newcastle game.  Only one I was wrong on was Man United.  They were booed off the field.  I cannot believe they had Everton favored by a half over Leicester.  Vardy and them boys are a damn good bunch

I am kicking ass with Leicester City.  They have not let me down yet.  I went like 9 of 10 yesterday including picking a draw on the Newcastle game.  Only one I was wrong on was Man United.  They were booed off the field.  I cannot believe they had Everton favored by a half over Leicester.  Vardy and them boys are a damn good bunch

You will be pleased to hear Rick that a man bet £5 with the odds at 1000/1, that Leicester will be top of the Premier League at Christmas. He must be kicking himself he didn't put 50 on it !

Another dismal display by Man United. If they get beat at Stoke on Boxing day,and I believe they will, then it's curtains for Van Laughable. Yes the boos were heard again at OT. A sad demise of a once great club. But who can replace the manager. As the saying goes: "You can't polish a turd"

• 4 weeks later...

I have been making money on Leicester City who to me are the best damn team in the Premier League.  Manchester United has been brutal of late.  Chelsea is good but has taken a bit of a step back.  Tottenham is playing well, and Everton and Manchester City can both score.  I will take Leicester and Vardy against any team

Edited by LedZeppfan77
Typo

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 2:34 AM, chillumpuffer said:

You will be pleased to hear Rick that a man bet £5 with the odds at 1000/1, that Leicester will be top of the Premier League at Christmas. He must be kicking himself he didn't put 50 on it !

Another dismal display by Man United. If they get beat at Stoke on Boxing day,and I believe they will, then it's curtains for Van Laughable. Yes the boos were heard again at OT. A sad demise of a once great club. But who can replace the manager. As the saying goes: "You can't polish a turd"

Don't the Glazers own ManU? Instead of firing Lovie Smith from Tampa Bay maybe they ought to pay closer attention to what's happening at Old Trafford.