Driver in Fatal Texting Crash to Spend 10 Years Behind Bars; Strictest Ruling In U.S.

weslgarlic

A 23-year-old Stevens Point man convicted of a crash that killed another man nearly two years ago in Wood County will spend 10 years behind bars and seven years on probation.

John French was convicted of 2nd degree reckless homicide. He was initially charged with 1st degree reckless homicide, however that charge was reduced during a plea deal in September.

According to the accident report, French was traveling south on Highway Z on December 6, 2010 when he failed to stop at a stop sign. He collided with a car traveling east on Highway 73. French’s SUV then collided with another SUV driven by Robert R. Walker. Walker was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

Wood County Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Constable says this is one of the most difficult cases she has ever worked. She says the judge gave French an even stiffer ruling than what she asked for. "The judge actually ordered 10 years of confinement followed by seven years of extended supervision. The time is really similar but I guess the judge felt that was appropriate given alot of the statements made by the community and the family members made."

Assistant D.A. Constable said today's ruling is the strictest ruling in U.S. history for texting and driving homicide related cases. She says that the ruling stemmed from prior charges French faced. Those include operating a vehicle without a license, and a prior felony charge.

The Walker family including, Robert's older brother and sister all spoke to the courtroom. Robert Walker's mother also gave a very emotional testimony about her son, and how he deserved what is right. Assistant D.A. Constable said that those testimonies probably helped the Judge decide on his ruling.

According to the criminal complaint, French admitted to texting at the time of the crash.

What's a life worth ?

If I was "king", I'd make the following penalties for just using a cell phone while driving (no matter whether they were texting or talking):

First offense : License suspended for 6 months

Second offense: License suspended for a year.

Third offense: Driving privilige revoked for life.

Fourth offense: Lethal injection.

Studies have shown that cell phone use while driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving! I was an emergency responder and carried a pager and cell phone always. If I was driving and I got a call, I would pull over and answer it. And these were EMERGENCY calls. No excuse for people driving and calling people about mundane everyday things.

I'm not really one to fist pump about this type of thing because even if he deserved his sentence, his mother surely did not. However, a life was lost as a direct result of his actions and even without the previous felony charge, he deserves a harsh penalty.

If I was "king", I'd make the following penalties for just using a cell phone while driving (no matter whether they were texting or talking):

Studies have shown that cell phone use while driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving! I was an emergency responder and carried a pager and cell phone always. If I was driving and I got a call, I would pull over and answer it. And these were EMERGENCY calls. No excuse for people driving and calling people about mundane everyday things.

Thats just plain ridiculous. I am glad you are not a king. I guess some people know how to walk and chew gum and others cant. I happen to know how. I used to drive huge trucks, with a two way radio and had to drive and talk on it at the same time. Never had a problem. Some people dont have any business riding a bicycle let alone driving a car. You can eat a meal while driving. Is there a law for that?

Thats just plain ridiculous. I am glad you are not a king. I guess some people know how to walk and chew gum and others cant. I happen to know how. I used to drive huge trucks, with a two way radio and had to drive and talk on it at the same time. Never had a problem. Some people dont have any business riding a bicycle let alone driving a car. You can eat a meal while driving. Is there a law for that?

Yes, it's called driving without due care and attention and is punishable with a possible prison sentence.

Too right. Should get sent down here too. It's incredible the amount of people who blatently break the law talking on a mobile phone whilst driving. But like most things in this country, the law is just an ass. I should now I break the law most days.(of course by not driving and mobiling)

The vaguest law of course is drink/driving. It should be NO DRINKING and driving. I got a lift home the other evening off a friend who had had 2 pints of beer. He is a very slender individual and possibly may have been slightly over the limit, but if he was a giant of a man who had also stuffed loads of food down, he may have not been over the limit. How does one know?? A glass of wine or 2? Are you over the limit? A pint of extra strong ale or a 3% bitter? Best not have any. But having said that where I live the sight of a taxi is like rocking horse shit.

At this time of year you must be barking to even think about driving after a glass or two because dibble is out to get ya !

Wow. You just keep on being on the wrong side of common sense.

:hysterical:

Dude.... :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Big ass truck with a big vacuum sucker that will suck bricks. Two engines, 5 speed on the floor shift with a range selector. I had a class B for years with hazardous materials endorsement. Had a fucking quart of beer and a joint going most of the time.

Big ass truck with a big vacuum sucker that will suck bricks. Two engines, 5 speed on the floor shift with a range selector. I had a class B for years with hazardous materials endorsement. Had a fucking quart of beer and a joint going most of the time.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That made me day imagining this- Your fuckin nuts!!!

I can picture that shit in a movie clip.......A little Careless, yet hilarious.

Just be glad you didn't roll that fucker over and kill someone, or yourself-

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That made me day imagining this- Your fuckin nuts!!!

I can picture that shit in a movie clip.......A little Careless, yet hilarious.

Just be glad you didn't roll that fucker over and kill someone, or yourself-

Worse yet, I might have beeen fired

My life and the lives of the people around me on the road are so much more important than a phone call or a text message.

It really sucks that we have to share the road with people that think the opposite!

A phone call or text is more important than their own safety?

Pull over dumb a$$! It's not hard!

I'm holding back on this big time.

I vote for you to be king.

I would also make the fine for a first offense at least $2000 instead of the couple of hundred dollars it usually is. And the 2nd offense with a conviction could mean $10,000. After that they could probably never afford to drive again so they would probably never get to the lethal injection.

Until lawmakers start treating these texting incidents the same as a DUI, people aren't going to get the message. But of course lawmakers are far more concerned about my guns locked in my safe than the millions of self-absorbed assholes driving around putting my family in danger as they update their facebook pages about what their fart smelled like.

I vote for you to be king.

I would also make the fine for a first offense at least $2000 instead of the couple of hundred dollars it usually is. And the 2nd offense with a conviction could mean $10,000. After that they could probably never afford to drive again so they would probably never get to the lethal injection.

Until lawmakers start treating these texting incidents the same as a DUI, people aren't going to get the message. But of course lawmakers are far more concerned about my guns locked in my safe than the millions of self-absorbed assholes driving around putting my family in danger as they update their facebook pages about what their fart smelled like.

I speak as one who was convicted of drink driving, I offer no excuses and I paid the penalty for it, I did not hurt anyone at the time (I know I could have, but I didn't) because of it I have never driven a car since (it was almost 9 years ago). I see people in their cars using their mobile phones all the time, especially "white van drivers" I agree it should be severely punished and texting whilst phoning should be an automatic custodial sentence in my opinion.

I speak as one who was convicted of drink driving, I offer no excuses and I paid the penalty for it, I did not hurt anyone at the time (I know I could have, but I didn't) because of it I have never driven a car since (it was almost 9 years ago). I see people in their cars using their mobile phones all the time, especially "white van drivers" I agree it should be severely punished and texting whilst phoning should be an automatic custodial sentence in my opinion.

truck drivers are worse still

Archived