New To Led Zeppelin - Here Is My Best Of CD

ZaineUK

Hi all,

I always knew of Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir, but in the last 2 months i've taken the plunge and got into Led Zeppelin. I'm 36 and feel the band are one of the last great bands i've never really listened too. What made me get into them was watching Celebration Day on Sky Arts. Now the band are one of my favourite bands. I've downloaded all the songs on iTunes and made a CD which runs exactly 80mins (Luckly) and contains my favourite 13 Led Zeppelin songs i've discovered. I bookended the CD with two obvious choices, but the rest are lesser known songs. What do you think of the playlist?

1. Stairway To Heaven
  2. Ten Years Gone
  3. Since I've Been Loving You
  4. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
  5. I'm Gonna Crawl
  6. Tangerine
  7. Hey Hey What Can I Do
  8. Ramble On
  9. Over Hills The Far Away
  10. That's The Way
  11. Going To California
  12. The Rain Song
  13. Kashmir

Run Time = 80mins.

Martin

Martin: I like your list! I'm glad you like I'm Gonna Crawl - it is one of my favorites as well. How about Tea for One? Have you given it a good listen? It's kind of a companion to "Crawl."

Welcome to the board. You will learn a great deal about Zeppelin here.

Enjoy

Hello All! I'm old enough to have been in high school during Led Zeppelin's heyday (I was born in 1959) but I never saw them perform live. I didn't know much about them during my teen years other than that they were British and their lead singer was named Robert Plant. I liked a few of their songs like "Immigrant Song" and "Over the Hills and Far Away" but my tastes ran more towards soul music and progressive rock when I was a teenager. I didn't appreciate the heavier Led Zeppelin songs like "Whole Lotta Love" until I was a lot older.

I have a funny story about Led Zeppelin to share. I mentioned above that I always liked "Immigrant Song". I was around 11 years old when Zep released it. To my little, Midwestern mind, it sounded really creepy and atmospheric. The only problem was that I couldn't decipher Plant's lyrics. All I could make out were the Viking wail at the beginning of the song and the "ooh ooh ooh" at the end. Since it was around Halloween when they first started playing the song on the radio, I assumed it was about a haunted place and ghosts. I was a pretty lame kid.

Oops! I just realized that I may have posted to the wrong forum. My apologies.

Hi all,

I always knew of Stairway to Heaven and Kashmir, but in the last 2 months i've taken the plunge and got into Led Zeppelin. I'm 36 and feel the band are one of the last great bands i've never really listened too. What made me get into them was watching Celebration Day on Sky Arts. Now the band are one of my favourite bands. I've downloaded all the songs on iTunes and made a CD which runs exactly 80mins (Luckly) and contains my favourite 13 Led Zeppelin songs i've discovered. I bookended the CD with two obvious choices, but the rest are lesser known songs. What do you think of the playlist?

1. Stairway To Heaven
  2. Ten Years Gone
  5. I'm Gonna Crawl
  6. Tangerine
  7. Hey Hey What Can I Do
  8. Ramble On
  10. That's The Way
  11. Going To California
  12. The Rain Song
  13. Kashmir

Run Time = 80mins.

Martin

That is a very nice list. As much as I would love to add every Led Zeppelin song They ever produced to your list, let me add (or recommend) a few more that I am sure You would agree with. If you happen to be unfamiliar with these songs, all you have to do is go to Youtube and type in the name of the song and you will be able to listen to them all.

In the Light

the Rover

Achilles Last Stand

Communication Breakdown

the Song Remains the Same

Wanton Song...

There are many, many more to add but I will stop at those. I really hope that you take the time to listen to the entire canon of the great Music of the "Mighty Zep".

Hi,

Welcome, a good list I really couldn't limit my best of to one CD though ( what no Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love, Rock n Roll), although you seem to favour the more melodic Zep, nice to see Tangerine, which is often overlooked.

Andy

Hi all,

1. Stairway To Heaven
  2. Ten Years Gone
  5. I'm Gonna Crawl
  6. Tangerine
  7. Hey Hey What Can I Do
  8. Ramble On
  10. That's The Way
  11. Going To California
  12. The Rain Song
  13. Kashmir

Run Time = 80mins.

Martin

Good list. I like all the songs on this list. Naturally, everyone on here would probably have different lists, but I like yours a lot. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy getting more into Zeppelin.

Archived