TSA now allows small pocket knives on domestic USA flights

Ace Of Spades

Did you hear about the new TSA regulations for bringing pocket knives on domestic flights? Now you can carry a pocket knife smaller than 2.36 in. If you recall, the 911 terrorists overtook and the flight crews with "box-cutters" which had blades less than 1 in.

Anybody else think this is crazy? Oh, and snow globes are okay now too, but you still can't bring your own 12 bottle of water - they still make you buy water at the terminal for 8 dollars.

Did you hear about the new TSA regulations for bringing pocket knives on domestic flights? Now you can carry a pocket knife smaller than 2.36 in. If you recall, the 911 terrorists overtook and the flight crews with "box-cutters" which had blades less than 1 in.

Anybody else think this is crazy? Oh, and snow globes are okay now too, but you still can't bring your own 12 bottle of water - they still make you buy water at the terminal for 8 dollars.

You can't peel an apple with a pair of boxcutters......I don't think it's crazy at all.

I agree, it's nuts.

Yesterday, as an extension to this news, CBC radio in Canada had a segment on travel woes and the biggest complaints by far were too much time waiting on tarmacs for gates or take-off for hours and hours with no water. One of the major carriers here just ruled that only one carry on will be allowed in the cabin. A lady's purse is considered one carry on. Not only is air travel packed to bursting in increasingly narrowed seats (and you always get a huge person next to you who overflows to your seat), but the time lost and inconvenience of endless customs and inspection, lost baggage (I've suffered this and will never fly Air Transat for any reason) and angry passengers waiting around on tarmacs and missing connections makes me appreciate travel by train or car. I don't even think buying business or first class gives you much to applaud anymore. First major airline that manages to bring comfort and civility back to air travel will get a lot of business.

It is interesting that they are allowing that. I still find it hard to take all the new travel rules since 911. I used to show up at the airport and hope for a sell off flight about 15 minutes before it took off. I am glad I was able to experience more freedom in travel, but am surprised they changed it back.

The bag stipulations are a big money grab now, along with the seats getting smaller. (Or maybe I am just getting bigger.) I think I would like my on Zeppelin plane.

You can't peel an apple with a pair of boxcutters......I don't think it's crazy at all.

But you can slice up a flight attendent and possibly even gain access to the cockpit. I don't believe that a small knife or a pair of nail clippers is all that lethal; men in prison seem to be able to make stabbing objects out of toothbrushes. But I just find that the TSA regulations are all over the board. One extra once of shampoo and you can't board with it. A small juice box for a toddler and that gets tossed. But a bottle of breast milk is okay and now a pocket knife. Don't you think terrorists are taking note?

Crazy is an understatement. What the fuck for? So i can cut my seat belts to remove easier or slit my wrists if the engines fail to save myself the anguish of trying to make a swim for it? Stupid.

There aren't enough major airlines left (competition) to make offering a change worthwhile.

There are fewer major carriers, but if one or two improve what service they can control to take the edge off those tarmac and terminal wait times would attract more passengers. In Toronto a small company Porter flies from a smaller downtown airport and for short hauls to NYC or Boston or Montreal it's really great, fast service. Within the USA, Jet Blue is an alternative - haven't flown them in a while but their service was usually better than the other major US carriers. For overseas flights I'd take Air France or British Airways before any other North American carrier. I'd have to be drugged to endure any of those charter flights again, just a horrid experience.

Will they ever allow Ka-Bars?

917789Detail_2.png

These things are great. My father used to carry one on the job as a police officer in his sqaud car until his dept banned them. He said on one occasion he used his to cut a construction worker loose from some rigging that the man was tangled up in. The man was moments away from being strangled to death.

Archived