The search for sugarman

#1fan

One of the best documentries I ever saw, brought a tear to my eye.

I saw a short snippet on 20-20 about a year ago on the fella and even that was really interesting. Then when i heard the doc was made it is on my hit list. Did you see that photo of him and Jimmy Page on the Jules Holland show from England...

I saw a short snippet on 20-20 about a year ago on the fella and even that was really interesting. Then when i heard the doc was made it is on my hit list. Did you see that photo of him and Jimmy Page on the Jules Holland show from England...

No I didnt, link?

We posted it on the official LZ Facebook:

(Great documentary!)

29601_406757212730056_1446416691_n.jpg

Thanks, Ok I think I saw that before, but had no idea who he was then, its a shame his music wasnt known here.

Knebby and I raved about this docunentary on the Going to the Movies thread, but you're right, #1fan, it deserves its own thread. So I hope those who missed "Searching for Sugar Man" in the theatres, now take the opportunity to see it on DVD...and don't forget to check out Sixto Rodriguez' music, too.

There was no doubt it was winning Best Documentary at the Oscars...2nd biggest lock after Daniel Day Lewis winning Best Actor.

I read some of his records were found in a storage shed in 76, and some how ended up in Australia, and he was a star there and toured in 78. The documentary doesn't really say that though.

I would love to see him live.

I read some of his records were found in a storage shed in 76, and some how ended up in Australia, and he was a star there and toured in 78. The documentary doesn't really say that though.

I would love to see him live.

Yes, Sixto Rodriguez had a fair amount of success in Australia, and was able to tour several times there in the late-70s and early-80s. You'll probably want to read this...http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/searching-for-sugar-man-true-story-or-the-making-of-a-myth/

The problem with all these naysayers is that it doesn't consider context. The film wasn't made from the point-of-view of Australians...or some other media-saturated Western country. It was from South Africa, a country that was isolated for years because of apartheid, which made information hard to come by. There's no way South Africans could have known of Sixto's fan-base in Australia back then.

Plus, I bet at least half of the music geeks you meet now who say they've known about Sixto Rodriguez for years are lying one-uppers.

Yes, Sixto Rodriguez had a fair amount of success in Australia, and was able to tour several times there in the late-70s and early-80s. You'll probably want to read this...http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/searching-for-sugar-man-true-story-or-the-making-of-a-myth/

The problem with all these naysayers is that it doesn't consider context. The film wasn't made from the point-of-view of Australians...or some other media-saturated Western country. It was from South Africa, a country that was isolated for years because of apartheid, which made information hard to come by. There's no way South Africans could have known of Sixto's fan-base in Australia back then.

Plus, I bet at least half of the music geeks you meet now who say they've known about Sixto Rodriguez for years are lying one-uppers.

Totally. I happily admit I hadn't heard of him until a mate told me to see this film early last year. I knew the song "Sugarman", but wasn't aware who it was by or anything about his story.

I wasn't being a naysayers, just sharing what I found out, even if they did know, it wouldn't mater because they thought he was huge every where lol. The only thing that bothered me was how his kids said he was poor and didn't know he was a star, but he had toured Australia and was famous there lol. granted it was 30 years ago, and his kids would have been young.

hubby has been a fan since the 70's. his profile pic on here is rodriguez. :)

• 2 months later...

Finally saw this movie a couple of nights ago....outstanding !

I don't remember ever hearing a Rodriquez song being played on Detroit radio, and never remember him ever appearing anywhere. I do however remember when he ran for Detroit City Council in the late 90's. Detroit has a fairly large pocketed latino community downriver, and I remember seeing a couple features on the news about his candidacy at the time. The name and the hat are tough to forget.

He played Detroit's Masonic Temple auditorium last month. The same place Jack White just paid $145,000 in order to clear the back-taxes, and save it from bankruptcy. It's a beautiful old venue from the 20's that doesn't get much publicity. Both the Stones and The Who played there on their '78 and '79 tours. I saw Roxy Music, Moody Blues, Santana, and several other shows there. It seats about 4,500....and is housed in the largest masonic temple in the world. Thank-you Mr. White !

Archived