Royal Albert Hall 1970

the fool

Just now, johnlennon696 said:

The thing I adore about this recording esp is Page's guitar tone. It's exactly the tone I always want him to use.  Just fat, loud and perfect for me.

That's interesting. I like it too - sounds very "rude," as Page has been known to say. And it's a nice variation from how his tone sounds on most other live Zep tapes.

For some reason, though, a lot of the hardcore fans online say they hate his tone on this show - I guess they think it's too messy and fuzzy. I like it though.

17 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

That's interesting. I like it too - sounds very "rude," as Page has been known to say. And it's a nice variation from how his tone sounds on most other live Zep tapes.

For some reason, though, a lot of the hardcore fans online say they hate his tone on this show - I guess they think it's too messy and fuzzy. I like it though.

Yea, I've read a few Zep aficionados are not too keen on it, but I've always like that particular tone foe a guitar tbh. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with whatever tone Page uses, I just particularly like this one esp.

On another note; Has anyone who was there that night ever confirmed that SIBLY was actually performed?

On 17/12/2007 at 8:38 PM, Kissandra said:

Their January 9th, 1970 performance is one of my favorite concerts ever and it's definitely my favorite of Zeppelin's. The versions of 'I Can't Quit You Baby' and 'How Many More Times' from this show are my favorites they've ever done. And what there is of 'Heartbreaker' is absolutely great. I can't say enough about this show, I think it is amazing :thumbsup:

How Many More Times - in my view, the greatest thing ever recorded to video tape. Closely followed by the concert recording as a whole. For all the brilliant moments for all the video out there, TSRTS, the DVD, boots, THIS, is the pinnacle. If you were introducing someone who loved good rock music and had "heard a bit of Zeppelin" - and showed them this, there is a good chance their face would melt.

Not only was the band and music captured perfectly (audio and video), the crowd, and a sense of being there is also conveyed. The intimacy of right beside Bonzo as he adjusts his seat, stepping forward with Jimmy and John Paul, and Robert in his perfect front man glory. There is just nothing wrong with it. Well actually, the one gripe - it should be a complete stand alone release. It DESERVES to be.

11 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

The thing I adore about this recording esp is Page's guitar tone. It's exactly the tone I always want him to use.  Just fat, loud and perfect for me.

Totally, some of his best ever. 

11 hours ago, tmtomh said:

That's very surprising. I've always thought of his tone that night as 'regal'. Kingly guitar tones. Fuzzy lows and crisp, sustained highs all with the right amount of thickness.

I agree with what others have said here: it's a great document of the band on a very good night in 1970. Of course, given that it's 1970, that means it's an exceptional performance! :lol:

I do have a question though: is there a bootleg of this show out there that has done the complete show (minus Thank You and SIBLY of course) with Plantations and the complete HMMT? I sampled Winston's Remaster, but it eliminates the band introductions at the beginning of HMMT. I saw the complete version of this song on Youtube, but the pitch was too low. Has anyone adjusted the pitch properly and kept the rest of the show (including Heartbreaker and Long Tall Sally) intact? The Year of Led Zeppelin blog did a good compilation of several bootlegs, but I was wondering if there was one release that has the complete show in the best sound possible. Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

How Many More Times - in my view, the greatest thing ever recorded to video tape. Closely followed by the concert recording as a whole. For all the brilliant moments for all the video out there, TSRTS, the DVD, boots, THIS, is the pinnacle. If you were introducing someone who loved good rock music and had "heard a bit of Zeppelin" - and showed them this, there is a good chance their face would melt.

Not only was the band and music captured perfectly (audio and video), the crowd, and a sense of being there is also conveyed. The intimacy of right beside Bonzo as he adjusts his seat, stepping forward with Jimmy and John Paul, and Robert in his perfect front man glory. There is just nothing wrong with it. Well actually, the one gripe - it should be a complete stand alone release. It DESERVES to be.

so well put !

3 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

If they can add Thank You and SIBLY (It was ayes right), they should release this whole concert on CD IMO. I wouldn't mind or classic it as any sort of 'cash grab' either. It'll be a completely worthwhile and fantastic release. Plus the two bonus tracks would surely justify it.

I seem to recall reading that the tape ran out on Heartbreaker and no tape exists for TY and SIBLY. Anyone confirm this?? Regardless, this should be an official release. However, it's great having what's available and I fear an official release would get chopped up , altered, etc. 

Edited by porgie66

3 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I seem to recall reading that the tape ran out on Heartbreaker and no tape exists for TY and SIBLY. Anyone confirm this?? Regardless, this should be an official release. However, it's great having what's available and I fear an official release would get chopped up , altered, etc. 

Yea I know about Heartbreaker but thought Page might have the full Thank You and SIBLY in his possession. Or I'm still hoping he has.

I'm more than happy with having the footage we have though and I'm just glad we have what we have tbh. Plus we can rip the audio from the DVD to make our own CD from what we do have in official quality. Or the boots :D

23 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I read Brad Tolinski's book about Page. They discussed about the RAH performances and Tolinski asked why SIBLY and TY were not in the DVD because they were played. Jimmy said that they failed to record the track for the organ.

18 minutes ago, Robert John Paul Page said:

I read Brad Tolinski's book about Page. They discussed about the RAH performances and Tolinski asked why SIBLY and TY were not in the DVD because they were played. Jimmy said that they failed to record the track for the organ.

That's where I read it! Damn shame. I'd still love to hear what was recorded!!  

Edited by porgie66

I think Jimmy should do the same like he did with Stairway in HTWWW. He took the mellotron from the Stairway of southampton 1973 and replaced the organ to the version of HTWWW. For example he could take the organ track from the bbc sessions 1971, edit them and put them for TY and SIBLY. I don't know if it's possible, but i would try that😄

Edited by Robert John Paul Page

• 3 years later...

image.png.bdec73f4865dc574fb968b64e2369b54.png

For more perspective, see the Forum page on Led Zeppelin's one and only concert at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969:

CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

Edited by drowan

3 hours ago, drowan said:

image.png.bdec73f4865dc574fb968b64e2369b54.png

For more perspective, see the Forum page on Led Zeppelin's one and only concert at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969:

CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

I have a 5 year savings plan for the cheese and kisses to take me to England for a once in a lifetime holiday. So far so good, savings humming along....

And Royal Albert Hall is a MUST VISIT on my list of things I MUST see (the tribute statue at Redditch is another). When I am closer to going (2 or 3 years away) I will be trying to time it so someone is going to be playing the RAH so I can attend. What a magnificent venue.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I began collecting Led Zeppelin bootlegs in 1982, and by 1990 I had amassed the large majority of the shows in circulation at the time. I had also reached the point where 90% of my listening was shows from 1969 and 1970. As good as they remained throughout, the shows slowly became more structured, and the spontaneity and the sense that "anything can happen" in the early shows is the primary reason I still listen 41 years later. I'm of the opinion that the 2nd U.S. tour in April/May was their peak as live act, with the Winterland show on 4-26-69 being the absolute pinnacle. I also came to the conclusion that Jimmy Page never played his best when he knew he was being recorded for potential release, and the 1-09-70 RAH show is a prime example of that in my opinion. I'd take almost any night from the March/April 1970 tour over RAH, aside from (obviously) Memphis. This certainly doesn't mean I don't like the RAH show - I'm as thrilled as anybody to have it in the quality we have it in.