Remembering JFK, this week the 50th anniversary of a dark day

LedZeppfan77

http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

The above link is from yesterday's Sunday morning on CBS news broadcast, dedicated much to JFK. It included a visit from the late LBJ's daughter who was traumatized by this event along with most of us. I was almost 7 and i will never forget the day. We must also remember JFK the man. Unlike Lincoln as Johnson's daughter pointed out, he was just starting his legacy. Lincoln had pretty much ended his when his life was taken. She says something I strongly agreed with. We will never remember this as we will this week again. This is not only the 50th anniversary, but many are still alive to recall the events. When the 60th and 70th and such come, most will be gone. Young americans and people around the world must know what a devastating event this was. This was a man that was loved by a nation and the world in general. His wife was as popular a first lady we would ever have. It was the end of our innocence and we would never get it back. It certainly had an effect on my own life. I felt like "why in the world would someone do this?" I still feel that way and I cannot stand the sight of that little shit Oswald. To me Ruby is a guy that did want attention and he sure got it. He probably saved us alot of crap that Oswald would have put out there. I am not 100 percent sure if there was not someone in the grassy knoll or if the CIA agent did not accidentally discharge the rifle, but we do know Oswald was guilty. But looking beyond the murder of a president, the life of this president and his family was special and will always be remembered by americans. Even in France, people cried in the streets when this news broke.

CBS will air special coverage starting Friday at the time Walter Cronkite shocked us with his interruption of "As the World Turns" and they will show the famous broadcast and have 4 days of coverage. If you are too young to know about this, you should watch hit and learn about it. It changed America forever.

I watched the CNN coverage last week. It must be hell for Kennedy's family to have to deal with the Zapruder film. I couldn't bear to watch a loved one being murdered.

And then RFK's assassination in San Fran years after. They still have the cloth and rod that Jackie lit the eternal flame with. That funeral was so sad for America. Nothing ever like this except 911. They say over 40,000 books have been written about JFK. He is probably second only to Jesus. And he was the only Catholic president. I am Catholic so that meant alot to me. JFK and Jackie were the perfect couple to run this nation. Their image was never equaled. Thank God Jackie did not have to endure that plane crash that took JFK Jr. She had gone through so much.

I remember this as you do Rick. I was still a very young child, very young, when it happened, but I remember my mother crying for days. I am Catholic too and it did mean a lot to us.

I love Jackie Kennedy to this day. What an elegant, intriguing woman she was. You are right, they were the perfect couple for the country...good taste and high expectations came from their White House. I don't know if we will ever know the truth about JFK's assassination or Bobby Kennedy's either. The death of John-John hit me hard. He was the best of them in our time. I have visited JFK's grave in Washington, D.C. It is quite an experience. Jackie is there also.

Continue to RIP John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I remember this as you do Rick. I was still a very young child, very young, when it happened, but I remember my mother crying for days. I am Catholic too and it did mean a lot to us.

I love Jackie Kennedy to this day. What an elegant, intriguing woman she was. You are right, they were the perfect couple for the country...good taste and high expectations came from their White House. I don't know if we will ever know the truth about JFK's assassination or Bobby Kennedy's either. The death of John-John hit me hard. He was the best of them in our time. I have visited JFK's grave in Washington, D.C. It is quite an experience. Jackie is there also.

Continue to RIP John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

They meant alot to me also. And I do not need negative stupid one word insults from Anjin idiot. That jerk has nothing informative to add to anything. Yes, i am with you on your feelings to JFK and Jackie. That is why I created this thread in this week that will be honoring them

I remember this as you do Rick. I was still a very young child, very young, when it happened, but I remember my mother crying for days. I am Catholic too and it did mean a lot to us.I love Jackie Kennedy to this day. What an elegant, intriguing woman she was. You are right, they were the perfect couple for the country...good taste and high expectations came from their White House. I don't know if we will ever know the truth about JFK's assassination or Bobby Kennedy's either. The death of John-John hit me hard. He was the best of them in our time. I have visited JFK's grave in Washington, D.C. It is quite an experience. Jackie is there also. Continue to RIP John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

My mom had been in the US for a year when it happened. She had come with stories of this large Catholic clan that was on the covers of all the magazines at the time. Jackie was a huge influence on her wardrobe; it also helped that her bulid was just like Jackie's. She always says that there was a sense of chivalry and manners during "Camelot" that all went downhill after JFK wad shot. My family couldn't get away from the TV when he died. My mom cried more for John John than she did for JFK. I also went to Arlington on my 8th grade school trip and it was an experience I'll never forget.

Edited by DropDown

This happened before I was born, but I can imagine how traumatizing it would be for a young kid to see this. I don't think I'd let a child of 7 watch the coverage. I don't think it's good for a child; even adults have trouble processing this kind of shock and horror.

^^^

Yep...The Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard, adjacent to where the famous Brown Derby restaurant was located. Shortly after midnight the night RFK won the California Primary on June 4, 1968...so technically it was June 5, 1968 when Sirhan Sirhan shot RFK in the bowels of the hotel kitchen and June 6 when RFK officially was declared dead.

As for JFK and the 50th Anniversary of that fateful day of November 22, 1963, I've been watching and reading plenty about it already. I was only slightly over a year old when it happened, so I have no memory of the tragedy and the aftermath. But clearly it changed the course of history in so many ways...not just politically but socially, psychologically, and culturally as well.

As JFK was the first "TV President", in some ways it is apropos that his assassination marked the ascension of TV news over newspapers and radio. I don't really subscribe to the "loss of our country's innocence" mantra, in that the history of America is filled with bloody and tragic events...our innocence was lost long before 11.22.63. But I will agree that it was probably the Baby Boom generation's loss of innocence.

A very sad and black day for the country and the world, even if you didn't agree with his politics or behaviour, which compared to what goes on today is still relatively benign.

He was killed in L.A.

Sara Jane Moore tried to shoot Ford in SF. Squeaky Fromme tried it in Sacramento. Both are now free. Moore is 83 and Fromme 65.

Yes, I stand corrected as he said its "on to San Fran". Anjinsan, if you cannot say anything positive, why don't you give the man and his wife a little respect and piss off. He did not deserve to be shot from behind from a scumbag loner.. Gee, kind of like someone here.

^^^

Yep...The Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard, adjacent to where the famous Brown Derby restaurant was located. Shortly after midnight the night RFK won the California Primary on June 4, 1968...so technically it was June 5, 1968 when Sirhan Sirhan shot RFK in the bowels of the hotel kitchen and June 6 when RFK officially was declared dead.

As for JFK and the 50th Anniversary of that fateful day of November 22, 1963, I've been watching and reading plenty about it already. I was only slightly over a year old when it happened, so I have no memory of the tragedy and the aftermath. But clearly it changed the course of history in so many ways...not just politically but socially, psychologically, and culturally as well.

As JFK was the first "TV President", in some ways it is apropos that his assassination marked the ascension of TV news over newspapers and radio. I don't really subscribe to the "loss of our country's innocence" mantra, in that the history of America is filled with bloody and tragic events...our innocence was lost long before 11.22.63. But I will agree that it was probably the Baby Boom generation's loss of innocence.

A very sad and black day for the country and the world, even if you didn't agree with his politics or behaviour, which compared to what goes on today is still relatively benign.

I was 13 then and was getting chewed out by my science teacher for being a truant when a girl came into the class and announced it. As a kid it didn't affect me much and I remember being upset that the weekend TV covered the whole event. I cannot watch the 'enhanced' version of his head exploding. But seeing the old film/video now with Oswald is damned interesting and after the Warren report came out that's when the doubt surfaced about the lone gunman. It'll be argued for centuries unless some absolute truth is revealed. It's also amazing to see the crowds that would come out to see JFK when he visited a town or city. Never see that again that's for damned sure.

I believe it was 1:00 p.m. Central Time Friday November 22 when Cronkite made his announcement...that's 2pm EST and 11am PST. Were you going to school in the Bay Area at that time, redrum?

I think the latest poll showed that 75% of Americans believe there was a cover-up.

I think it's human nature to doubt ....rather than anything exclusive to Americans.

Agreed, but Americans have an unhealthy appetite for conspiracy theories in general and JFK in particular. I'll chalk it up to being just one societal quirk among many, though I do think it is rooted in a resistance to simply accepting the often brutal realities of life on their own terms. In this case, a popular, young, idealistic American President was blown away one Autumn afternoon in Dallas by a lone assassin for nothing.

Edited by SteveAJones

Agreed, but Americans have an unhealthy appetite for conspiracy theories in general and JFK in particular. I'll chalk it up to being just one societal quirk among many, though I do think it is rooted in a resistance to simply accepting the often brutal realities of life on their own terms. In this case, a popular, young, idealistic American President was blown away one Autumn afternoon in Dallas by a lone assassin for nothing.

But its hard to ignore the ballistics in this. The scientific evidence that says there was a bullet from an angle that could not have come from Oswald. How do you get around this? How do you toss out the CIA theory? I cannot do it. What if the gun did go off in the car with the CIA agent? They have shown the angles. Watch the recent shows. The older ones all concentrate on the grassy knoll. Which still is mysterious. But McLelan and Donahue's theory is not without merit. It is very persuasive.

Regardless, things would have been better IMO if JFK and RFK had lived. We would not have had to deal with Watergate and Nixon. Likely racial tensions would have eased sooner. They have never been eliminated and perhaps never will. I will never understand Jackie marrying Onassis. That one to me was very strange. I know he got her away from all the bullshit, but she was so out of his league. She was beautiful for sure. And classy.

Shooting holes in the George Hickey theory...

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=231744821

Its an interesting read but it does not blow the theory out of the water. Nor does the theory blow the grassy knoll theory out of the water. Its still what it may always be, a mystery that has no very simple answer. The tests that were done by expert marksmen were compelling also. They made it very tough to accept Oswald was good enough to pull this off and he was not a marksman in the Marines. His shooting ability was average. His heart had to be pounding and he had to be nervous.

.....so now instead of believing one nut with above average military training in using a rifle couldn't possibly have fired three shots and hit a slow moving target a hundred yards away, I am supposed to believe that a member of the Secret Service pulled up an M-16, accidently pulled the trigger and that single bullet miraculously hit the President in the head.

A zillion to one shot!

Watch the History Channel's "Beyond the Magic Bullet" and ignore that current joke of a conspiracy theory that is currently being shown......

.....so now instead of believing one nut with above average military training in using a rifle couldn't possibly have fired three shots and hit a slow moving target a hundred yards away, I am supposed to believe that a member of the Secret Service pulled up an M-16, accidently pulled the trigger and that single bullet miraculously hit the President in the head.

A zillion to one shot!

Watch the History Channel's "Beyond the Magic Bullet" and ignore that current joke of a conspiracy theory that is currently being shown......

Actually, the "accidentally shot by Hickey" theory isn't that current...it's been around since at least the 80s and Bonar Menninger wrote a book about it in 1992 called "MORTAL ERROR: The Shot That Killed JFK". The theory didn't hold much water and was fairly easy to debunk, which is one reason the book never gained much traction.

But, like Dracula, conspiracy theories are hard to kill and it's only because people have been bringing it up lately here on the forum that I mentioned it and the accompanying article.

I highly suggest people, conspiracy minded or not, read Gerald Posner's "Case Closed".

By the way, did anyone watch Nova's Cold Case special on JFK that aired on PBS?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/cold-case-jfk.html

I believe it was 1:00 p.m. Central Time Friday November 22 when Cronkite made his announcement...that's 2pm EST and 11am PST. Were you going to school in the Bay Area at that time, redrum?

Yes, I was in junior high and it was morning on the west coast.