The peak of Led Zeppelin

joeboy

Led Zeppelin didn't have a peak, it was just Zeppelin, the entire ride of music they created was there for all of us to enjoy anytime. Every album every tour and every gig had a gem to be found, not really sure how anyone can say they had a peak. Each moment that Zeppelin did its thing was a different painting, a different mood to be felt by the audience.

Led Zeppelin didn't have a peak, it was just Zeppelin, the entire ride of music they created was there for all of us to enjoy anytime. Every album every tour and every gig had a gem to be found, not really sure how anyone can say they had a peak. Each moment that Zeppelin did its thing was a different painting, a different mood to be felt by the audience.

Well put, Charles

I just don't think Earls Court was the peak, personally. But I can understand how some would. I'm not sure if Earls Court is heavily regarded because a) they were pretty good shows (I really don't think any of them were fantastic, they're just not that great in my opinion) or B) because it was a unique event for Zeppelin, playing five select concerts in one venue with people coming from all over England. Is it the performances, or is it the grandeur?

The peak to me remains to be L.A. in 1977. Many people refuse to accept it, but if you really listen to the performances, the crowd, the playing and just how much incredible fun the band is having, like they have finally found themselves again after a tumultuous tour and Plant's lack of confidence, you can see what an amazing week that was for Badgeholders. With the exception of June 25th which I find to be the low point nothing comes close again.

If you can at least agree that L.A. '77 was as good as Earls Court or LA '72 or whatever, then L.A. '77 must be the peak, because that was the last series of shows that many would argue would not be approached again.

Does that make any sense?

I would say their peak was the tour in 1973 and LA 1977. Concerts to which I always return to when listening to LZ live. June 21 1977 TSRTS and Sick Again; the bravado, fun and the audience: that has got to be a peak right there!

Sure you're not thinking of the 24th?

The final hour of 9/19/1970 (evening show) is the correct answer. Thanks for playing everyone! B)

Edit: I know Bly will have my back on this one! :friends:;)

Oh you know it!! Bought new headphones and damn it sounds a lot better with a proper kit, I probably listen to that damn show 3 times a week, it's tremendous!

I also agree on the 24th being a return to form

Oh you know it!! Bought new headphones and damn it sounds a lot better with a proper kit, I probably listen to that damn show 3 times a week, it's tremendous!

I also agree on the 24th being a return to form

My man! :gimmefive: I miss wearing big cans, these days I just listen with SkullCandy earbuds. Headphones mess up my hair and get all sweaty around the ears. :lol: I've got a pair of Sony's MDR-XD200s sitting in my closet collecting dust. :(

An unpopular choice but I can dig it.

"An unpopular choice", really? That 75' tour had many moments of sheer brilliance.

What I don't understand is your love for that 77' tour. Yes, I liked 77', but to believe it's better than 75' is asinine!

75' > 77'

I wasn't putting it down, I was just saying it's different from the umpteenth person saying Osaka '71 or Europe '73. For the record I love the '75 material alot. A whole helluva lot actually. I couldn't live without the Nassau gigs, Vancouver, Seattle, LA, or Earl's Court. And don't bring '77 into this, or we'll have to tussle. ;)

I wasn't putting it down, I was just saying it's different from the umpteenth person saying Osaka '71 or Europe '73. For the record I love the '75 material alot. A whole helluva lot actually. I couldn't live without the Nassau gigs, Vancouver, Seattle, LA, or Earl's Court. And don't bring '77 into this, or we'll have to tussle. ;)

Europe 73' is phenomenal, too - this tour can never be mentioned enough. The interplay between Bonham, Jones, and Page is superb!

Btw, Baton Rouge, St. Louis, Dallas, San Diego, and Long Beach are just as good as the aforementioned.

I too prefer 77 to 75. It's just hard to listen to Roberts 'flu-ridden' voice over and over again. I also think they should have retired Dazed after 73. :ohmy: Should've added more numbers from Physical Graffiti like Custard Pie (would've been a killer opener) HOTH, In the Light, etc. Plus 77 has Achilles, Ten Years Gone and an acoustic set!

I too prefer 77 to 75. It's just hard to listen to Roberts 'flu-ridden' voice over and over again. Should've added more numbers from Physical Graffiti like Custard Pie (would've been a killer opener) HOTH, In the Light, etc. Plus 77 has Achilles, Ten Years Gone and an acoustic set!

Well..it's hard for me to listen to most of Page's playing on this tour, due to you know what...I'll take the flu ridden voice of Plant over substance abuse any day.

I agree about adding more numbers from Physical Grafitti for that 75' tour. In The Light, The Rover, The Wanton Song, and Custard Pie would have been nice to hear - on any tour after, really. I could say the same for 77' not containing enough songs from Presence.

Well..it's hard for me to listen to most of Page's playing on this tour, due to you know what...I'll take the flu ridden voice of Plant over substance abuse any day.

I agree about adding more numbers from Physical Grafitti for that 75' tour. In The Light, The Rover, The Wanton Song, and Custard Pie would have been nice to hear - on any tour after, really. I could say the same for 77' not containing enough songs from Presence.

haha fair enough. For Your Life certainly would've been a nice addition!

My man! :gimmefive: I miss wearing big cans, these days I just listen with SkullCandy earbuds. Headphones mess up my hair and get all sweaty around the ears. :lol: I've got a pair of Sony's MDR-XD200s sitting in my closet collecting dust. :(

I got a pair of Audio Technica M50X and man... I love them, feels like they take some of the hiss away from audience recordings

Archived