The peak of Led Zeppelin

joeboy

I've searched through the archives and no topic asked this specific question. So here's the question:

What show by itself or as a group of shows together finds the whole group performing at the top of there musical abilities. Remember the key word is peak which assumes a level never reached again.

Robert's tight pants certainly helped him sing high in LA 1972. I guess it was his peak. In 1977 some of those songs played required split second timing. Jimmy could not have been as spaced out as some suggest. Also Robert's voice in 77 was more powerful than 72.

Robert's tight pants certainly helped him sing high in LA 1972. I guess it was his peak. In 1977 some of those songs played required split second timing. Jimmy could not have been as spaced out as some suggest. Also Robert's voice in 77 was more powerful than 72.

Are you nuts? Compare how he consistently hits the high notes in Rock and Roll, Black Dog and OTHAFA in 1972 as oposed to the lower register he adopted for 1977.

Now, Plant's voice in '77 was more powerful than it had been in 1973 and 1975, but pre-73 is the peak of Plant's vocal range.

And yes, this topic has been discussed before. Hell, someone just the other day created a thread asking which era of Zeppelin was the best.

I would say regarding all members at once 71' - 73.' However I feel Robert's voice in 77' was the best period. Why? His voice had the most power overall, maybe not the range of 72' but much more powerful than 72' IMO. Just listen to that section of BCW on LTTE when he goes into the verse before they segue into BYAS...Holy shit!!!

So, all said and done, 73' as a group, 73' - 75' for Page & Bonham, Jones was always perfect, and 77' for Robert.

For a carbon copy of vocals and so on 1971. For overall perfection from an audience point of view the O2 gig, everything just came together so well at the O2

You're joking right? Plants voice was atrocious throughout the whole concert.Early to mid 70s for me, when he could reach the notes, instead of the O2 gig where he just left out the words he couldn't reach.

I'd say they peaked in June 1972. Specifically, the June 19, 25 and 27 shows in Seattle and the L.A. area.

Some of the August-Sep '71 shows are unbelievable, but by June 1972 they'd really gotten into the marathon concerts; they were starting to introduce material from Houses of the Holy for a more complete setlist; they were incredibly heavy and "tight but loose" - it all came together.

March '73 is amazing as well - the playing of Page, Johes and Bonham is on radar-lock the entire month. But Plant's voice already had started to go by then.

This is why How the West Was Won is such an incredibly fortunate document to have: amidst all the screw-ups and lost opportunites of the following years (TSRTS not being their best '73 shows; Plant's voice being a mess in '75; the '77 tour's best shows not being professionally recorded), HTWWW captures them at their absolute peak. Aside from Albert Hall 1970, HTWWW is really the only professionally recorded show that hit Zep at the very best time of a tour.

I only wish soundboard recordings of June 19, and the unreleased tracks from June 25, would surface.

June 1972.

Jimmy said this was when they really were firing on all cylinders. Anybody wanna disagree with him?

I actualy disagree with him. To me it depends on what type of peak we are talking about.

As far as live performances, the 1973 European Tour has the best shows the band ever played.

The creative peak of the band was when they were recording Physical Graffiti in 1974, it's

really hard to argue with the period were they wrote Kashmir and Wanton Song.

I actualy disagree with him. To me it depends on what type of peak we are talking about.

As far as live performances, the 1973 European Tour has the best shows the band ever played.

The creative peak of the band was when they were recording Physical Graffiti in 1974, it's

really hard to argue with the period were they wrote Kashmir and Wanton Song.

I agree.

I think it's safe to say that, the song remains the same album/show 73, got most of us wanting to hear more shows. So it's gotta be some sort of peak. When I started collecting bootlegs and finally found some reviews of the shows. I read about blueberry hill, being a must have. Ofcourse it's a great show...but I thought the vocals sounded shrill on that tape and I always preferred the 73, 75 and even 80 shows, for the variety of songs. I would rather hear the songs with the sloppy moments, where they found they're collective creative soul as a band and as artists.

Also agree with graffiti being some kind of creative/studio peak. The power and the flashes of creativity on the first album and tour...came full circle with the making of this album.

You're joking right? Plants voice was atrocious throughout the whole concert.Early to mid 70s for me, when he could reach the notes, instead of the O2 gig where he just left out the words he couldn't reach.

The O2 gig for me was such a special moment, it sounded so warm, and so comforting for me, I also loved Jimmy's tone which I thought had the best tone of any gig he has ever played.

I would say they peaked in 72' when they just kept playing very long concerts featuring so much work, pulling off 3 or 4 encores completely flawless (hell they finished 6/19/72 Seattle with a second play of Dancing Days!) then 73' pretty much had the same setlists with a change of 4 different encores which were great shows but tough to compare with before.. On another note Celebration Day (the concert) would've been crazy if Plant sounded like he did back then lol

Archived