2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Yes, it's still early, but I have to give the Yanks credit whether I like it or not. I had them as a possible 80+ loss team this year & thought so many of the guys on the MLB Network were nuts for picking them to make the playoffs, but look where they sit right now. Joe Girardi is a hell of a manager.

But as always, it's early.

Yes, it's still early, but I have to give the Yanks credit whether I like it or not. I had them as a possible 80+ loss team this year & thought so many of the guys on the MLB Network were nuts for picking them to make the playoffs, but look where they sit right now. Joe Girardi is a hell of a manager.

But as always, it's early.

But the wheels are starting to come off and its getting ugly. I look at their bullpen and wonder how its going to hold up. Well, it finally happened. It did not hold up. Yes its early. That can be a bad thing too. I am OK with where my team is right now as I know Manny Machado is close. He will be in rehab games maybe this week. I am going to see if he is going to play for Norfolk and if there if they are on Rochester's home schedule. Toronto has played well, even though Dickey was bombed last out. But its too early to judge. No A Rod, Jeter in his retirement season, injury prone Roberts at 2nd base instead of Cano, Sabathia on the decline, and the bright spot is this young Japanese arm. I believe its going to be a long year for them. My opinion. Tampa's big concern is their starting rotation. Not exactly scary. That is why I believe with all the gold gloves we have and the bats we have we will prevail.

That was quite the dust-up in yesterday's Brewers/Pirates game. I don't usually have an issue with a guy doing a little bit of styling and profiling at the plate, provided the ball actually goes out of the yard. When it stays in the yard, then you're probably better off not doing too much posing. No doubt, some suspensions will be forthcoming....

Rick, you wearing your Wieters jersey? Birds up 3-0 early....

Actually I was. First time all year. Strange you knew that. That game was a travesty to baseball. How in the fuck does the umpire not call the guy out at second in the 8th inning? Flaherty blew the double play by dropping the ball but he clearly had the ball in his glove and the runner was out. Why the fuck did Buck not force the review I will never know. And not having Machado killed us. That punk at third base goes home to Wieters and throws it wide on a routine force out at the plate. So instead the game gets tied. Jiminez pitched great and one mistake cost him 3 runs. He should have fucking known to keep it down knowing they were swinging for the fences down 5-0. The umps helped them win that game. Its bullshit. They cannot get calls right no matter what they have. I do not like the way Showalter manages a game. I really do not. He lets pitchers stay in too long. His pitching coach should have gone out and told that waste of a pitcher from Cleveland not to give up a home run. But not challenging an obvious force out at second was the last straw for me. Machado had best get back fast. And Hardy left the game also. This infield is built on those two guys. You cannot replace them. Flaherty will be benched on their return. He cannot hit. He fucked up a double play. He was a good defensive 2nd baseman until that play last night. He cost us the game

Rick, I think it has something to do with the transfer rule & how it's worded, or how the umps have been told to interpret it. I think the same thing has happened to John Farrell and Ron Washington of Texas, that transfer rule. Maybe MLB needs to look into that rule before the season is over or modify it for next season.

Rick, I think it has something to do with the transfer rule & how it's worded, or how the umps have been told to interpret it. I think the same thing has happened to John Farrell and Ron Washington of Texas, that transfer rule. Maybe MLB needs to look into that rule before the season is over or modify it for next season.

We got fucked. Lets see if they come back from this 6-0 lead

That transfer rule has to be changed. It's ridiculous, especially as they're also enforcing it on outfield catches that are obvious outs. This whole replay thing is stupid, but the transfer rule has to go.

And...yay O's!

Well, Jenrry Mejia of the Mets won't throw a perfect game tonight. Ump screwed him on a curveball that was right down the middle, and of course, Yadier Molina gets a base hit on the next pitch....

You know Paul, your Mets may have turned the corner? Its early but they have played well. Right around the 500 mark and the same for Strider's Angels. I am happy with where my boys are. Because I know help is coming. Hardy and Wieters likely tomorrow. Machado is close to game ready for minor league rehab games. We know he will not be there long. What a difference it will be having Machado and Hardy in the infield. And when Gausman and Bundy are recovered from Tommy John surgery, I think our staff will get a boost. Gonzalez and Chen have pitched better. Jiminez was great until that 3 run homer mistake. But he did not lose us the game. That stupid call at 2nd by that idiot umpire did. Still, we got the split. I like our chances over the long haul. Tomorrow is knuckleballer Dickey. So your Mets beat the big bad Cardinals. You know the Mets have always given them trouble though for whatever reason. I am going to bet the Angels every time Weaver pitches. So is Wheeler your best guy Paul? I need to know. I am doing a home study. Its called gambling. LOL

^^ Zach Wheeler has been ok, nothing spectacular so far this year. As far as numbers go, Jenrry Mejia who pitched last night has been our best starter. The only problem with our rotation is that the starters don't seem to be able to make it past the 6th inning very often. Mejia last night was no different. He was breezing along for 6 and 2/3 then walked two batters and was out of the game.

The way I see it, if the Mets were going to steal a game, last night was it because now we have to face the buzzsaw that is the top of the Cardinals rotation. Wainwright, Wacha and Lynn (ouch).

^^ Zach Wheeler has been ok, nothing spectacular so far this year. As far as numbers go, Jenrry Mejia who pitched last night has been our best starter. The only problem with our rotation is that the starters don't seem to be able to make it past the 6th inning very often. Mejia last night was no different. He was breezing along for 6 and 2/3 then walked two batters and was out of the game.

The way I see it, if the Mets were going to steal a game, last night was it because now we have to face the buzzsaw that is the top of the Cardinals rotation. Wainwright, Wacha and Lynn (ouch).

Most teams have to count on middle relief these days. You simply need strong middle relief pitching. Something the Yankees do not have thus the ass whippings they took in Tampa. Boston's is not splendid either so we may see a slugfest of a series. The Mets are playing better for sure. Yes those three guys for the Cardinals are good. The Mets are the biggest pain in the Cards ass over the years. Milwaukee is not going to go away it appears. They have something going like Pittsburgh did last year. Pittsburgh comes to Baltimore next week for a rare visit.

Now the great great news. MANNY MACHADO IS EXPECTED TO BE BACK IN EARLY MAY!!!!!!!!!!1 So says the O's website. :party: What a sight for sore eyes he will be. That patches up the infield. I will say this Schoop has played pretty well. Lough also on defense. I have to take a peak at McClouth's stats in Washington. I wonder how the old boy is doing? Good I hope. We have to whack some knuckle balls tonight. Just keep popping them over the infielders heads and chase him

An otherwise perfect day at Fenway and in Boston, losing that baseball game didn't upset me much. Nearly pulled off the comeback. Buchholz's health is in question. Time will tell I suppose.

Going off topic a bit, but:

Walter - I understand that Mrs. Walter is coming down the home stretch. Best wishes for improved health and strength to all of the Walters.

Damn the MLB schedule makers. Have the day off and was hoping for a little day baseball to watch with my lunch...but NOT ONE DAY GAME ON THE SCHEDULE! FU BUD!

With all the NHL and NBA playoff games scheduled tonight, why cram all the baseball games in at night, too? Throw us daytime baseball lovers a bone or two ferchrissakes.

Rick, Jered Weaver hasn't looked as sharp so far...but ebk will get to see him in person Wednesday, along with Boy Wonder Mike Trout. Oh, and she also might witness Pujols hitting HR #500...he is at #498.

The Evil Empire invades Fenway today...GO SAWX!

Edited by Strider

Damn the MLB schedule makers. Have the day off and was hoping for a little day baseball to watch with my lunch...but NOT ONE DAY GAME ON THE SCHEDULE! FU BUD!

With all the NHL and NBA playoff games scheduled tonight, why cram all the baseball games in at night, too? Throw us daytime baseball lovers a bone or two ferchrissakes.

Rick, Jered Weaver hasn't looked as sharp so far...but ebk will get to see him in person Wednesday, along with Boy Wonder Mike Trout. Oh, and she also might witness Pujols hitting HR #500...he is at #498.

The Evil Empire invades Fenway today...GO SAWX!

I checked Norfolks schedule hoping to catch Manny Machado in Rochester NY. They play Rochester day of my surgery,. But cannot remember if here or in Norfolk. We play them rarely. When I go I will be cheering for Norfolk with my Orioles apparel on. As for the Angels they rolled the Tigers with Weaver. But tons of run support. I expect improvement from your team. Boston will not have the year they had last year I assure you of that. Paul you are wrong about an 11-10 game in Toronto. More likely at Fenway. \No middle relief for Yankees. Miguel Gonzalez and Chen have both woken up. Just wait until Machado comes back.