The Last Classic Zeppelin song

McSeven

Towards the end of their career. What do you consider Zep's last classic song. For me its Achillies Last Stand. Runner up is For your life/NFBMine and Fool in the Rain.

ALS has that Hammer of the gods feel. Like a longer Immigrant song.

NFBM is WLLove for that late era.

FYL is The Lemon Song Slow grove throughout the whole song.

FITR is the GTBTimes vibe of happy go lucky Zeppelin.

What do you all think.

If I can only pick one, it would be In The Evening. I remember getting ITTOD on vinyl, popping the needle down, and when ITE had finished, I immediately put the needle right back at the beginning. Just a totally incredible tune!

Good to see FITR getting some love, some people crap all over this song. Fantastic song.

Well they are all classics. I could say Walter's Walk which I believe is the last recorded Led Zeppelin song (The music was old but Robert's vocals were clearly late 70's and I believe post-ITTOD). Led Zeppelin's sound changed so much in the "latter days". If you mean last classic song as in the last song that sounded more like their earlier work I would say Fool in the Rain.

In my opinion ALL Led Zeppelin songs are classics, it's just that I like some more than others. Let's face it if you were at home and Zep came on the radio (this doesn't happen very often in the UK) you would stop what you are doing and listen to it, not sit there and dissect it.Why do people criticise albums and tracks, if you don't like it it's simple - DON'T BUY IT.

^ That must have been tough for Robert, did he write the lyrics then too SAJ?

IF I had to choose one, I would have to go with "In The Evening".

Its interesting to hear how some of the phrasing and tone on that song is identical to what is heard on his first solo album. Fun song too.

Archived