Peter Grant - Executive Producer

What do you think it means when it says Peter Grant was the "Executive Producer" of all the Zep albums? I can't really imagine he had any "album producing technical skills" like JP....

Or was it to acknowledge something in the business side of album making?

To me it seems like it was just a "tip of the hat" to Mr. Grant.

It is not just a ceremonial title. Believe me, in show business, there are clear reasons for every title and credit bestowed.

The Executive Producer (Peter Grant) is distinct and separate from the Music Producer (Jimmy Page). The Executive Producer handles the budget and accounting, deals with copyright and legal issues, hires and pays the sound engineers and technicians that work on the record, and arranges for the studio time.

The Producer concerns himself with the actual recording and making of the music for the album.

Reat assured, Peter Grant earned that Executive Producer credit.

Not to derail the discussion, but is it common for other bands to have an "Executive Producer" listed on their albums? Obviously you always hear about Producers, and some have become reasonably well known (Phil Spector, Quincy Jones, George Martin, etc), but to my knowledge, the term "Executive Producer" doesn't seem to be used much on musical recordings. Which just got me to wondering why Grant had his listed (and I thought it was on ALL the LZ albums, but as someone pointed out, it is not).

It's a reasonable question. The term "Executive Producer" really comes from movie production, where it has a specific meaning, but there is no position in the business of record producing or artist management known as "Executive Producer." I think Page was just awarding the credit to acknowledge Grant's business oversight; it would be like Brian Epstein being listed as "Executive Producer" of Beatles albums.

post-12775-0-14383100-1392077985.gif post-12775-0-78035500-1392078008.gif post-12775-0-67142400-1392078024.gif

I think that Peter Grant was given the title of "Executive Producer" on all of Led Zeppelin albums is because of the Trust and Admiration that They both held for each other. Jimmy Page, the Musician and Peter Grant, the Man behind the Scenes.

I also think that, at the time, (in the 1970's) that Jimmy Page was very familiar with song-writing Royalties (and the Like), and that by naming Peter Grant as "Executive Producer" that might/would rake in a bit more Money to Peter Grant.

Regardless of what I think, I have believed that Mr. Peter Grant deserves 20/100 (%) of Led Zeppelin.

Since Peter's death in 1995, I would like to believe that His 20% goes to His Children, Warren and Helen.

Strider, did you find out any more information on why Peter Grant wasn't credited on all LZ albums? that would make an interesting read.

Sorry, been busy with work and getting a Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute together...and now with Shirley Temple passing away, that's another on the docket. Getting a Groupie Night together too. Plus, the Olympics and screenings for the Oscars are taking any free time left over.

But, in brief, I was thinking that since Led Zep II was recorded while the band was on tour and the band would pop into whatever studio was at hand in whatever town they were in, Peter wasn't really needed for that album.

Led Zep III was the Snowdonia cottage in Wales, which Jimmy and Robert found on their own, so again no Peter credit.

By Presence, I think Peter was going thru his marital and drug problems so he was probably not around or particularly useful during those sessions either.

But that's purely idle conjecture on my part, and without doing any research, I could be way off on various timelines, etc. That's where Steve A Jones comes in handy...he's got all that info down in black-and-white.

Sorry, been busy with work and getting a Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute together...and now with Shirley Temple passing away, that's another on the docket. Getting a Groupie Night together too. Plus, the Olympics and screenings for the Oscars are taking any free time left over.

But, in brief, I was thinking that since Led Zep II was recorded while the band was on tour and the band would pop into whatever studio was at hand in whatever town they were in, Peter wasn't really needed for that album.

Led Zep III was the Snowdonia cottage in Wales, which Jimmy and Robert found on their own, so again no Peter credit.

By Presence, I think Peter was going thru his marital and drug problems so he was probably not around or particularly useful during those sessions either.

But that's purely idle conjecture on my part, and without doing any research, I could be way off on various timelines, etc. That's where Steve A Jones comes in handy...he's got all that info down in black-and-white.

Cheers, Thanks Strider.

Archived