Dazed and Confused on American Idol

The singer was good but seeing this song on AI (esp. with J Lo tweerking around) makes me want to puke.

Another example of Zep's catalog becoming more accesible for the mainstream/hollywood to grab hold of. This thread should maybe be in "Been hearing more Zep songs in commercials lately.." thread??

Anyway, the judges give props to the back up band, knowing that performing an LZ tune requires full output. I think they are giving as much attention to LZ as they are to Caleb, maybe more. Caleb does do a pretty good job at delivering Plant style vocals however.

When harry connick brought up jake holmes, I did not understand the context of that, especially considering the general American Idol audience. I think that was him trying too much, to make a smart comment. The compliments to that band, were basically stating what good piece of music that is...and illustrated what it was like for plant to keep up with the music.

Dude in glasses (second to judge) is all like "I think Jake Holmes' was the first version I heard"

Haha... yea sure. Nice wikipedia-fu.

When harry connick brought up jake holmes, I did not understand the context of that, especially considering the general American Idol audience. I think that was him trying too much, to make a smart comment. The compliments to that band, were basically stating what good piece of music that is...and illustrated what it was like for plant to keep up with the music.

Yeh he kinda tried to take Zep down a notch, telling the world it's someone else's song.

I wonder if there are copyright/legal reasons to blurt this stuff out.

If I remember correctly, Jimmy got up and jammed with Harry Connick back in the late 80's in Miami?.....Maybe something in B flat?? My memory is foggy......does this ring a bell with anyone? ....... SAJ did this jam take place?

Sorry folks but I must disagree, what I heard and saw was utter shite. Roberts style! not even close, even the band couldnt play it right! what song was the drummer playing? and dont get me stared on the guitarists, the worst thing was the supposed call and response bit total butchery!!

I know they use a lot of classic rock bands like Elton John and The Beetles and others but the reality is that a lot of these contestants and at least 98% of the audience aren't even familiar with thoses bands work let alone listening too enough Zeppelin to know what they are hearing. IMHO the only reason the crowd is cheering that way is because they are rabid fans who cheer everything they see on that show even when the performer fucks it up bad and the judges call them out for it the aud still disagrees and loves what they heard.

Its all bullshit for the masses.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Jake Holmes, I was watching an obscure little movie from 1964 called Hootenanny a Go-Go. A musical comedy trio called Jim, Jake and Joan was featured in one scene. Turns out Jake was *the* Jake Holmes who wrote Dazed and Confused. I don't know which of the bespectacled young nerds is Jake; I think it's the one with the darker hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_K-PHd_vE

It's not shown in the YouTube clip, but later they do a song about Lady Bird Johnson - no similarities to "Dazed and Confused" are discernible.

My take on Connick's comment was that when you attempt a cover version of a song it's a good idea to listen to the original recording; not just the most famous version. Listening to different singers' take on a song would give you some ideas on how to make it your own. IMO, Led Zeppelin should have credited Jake Holmes from the get-go since they used his lyrics and melody. However, they certainly made Dazed and Confused their own when they recorded it for their first album. This is my problem with most of the singers on American Idols; very few of them try to make the songs they sing their own. Instead they ape the singers who made the songs famous. It's a karaoke contest with pretensions.

Archived