2014-15 NHL Season

LedZeppfan77

The draft is over and free agency has kicked off with a splash. So I figured a new thread is needed for a new season. The Sabres tanking next season may be out the window after last night. They just signed 5 free agents and some notable ones. Matt Moulson, 5 years and Brian Gionta, a Rochester native whose parents are Sabres season ticket holders, is now a Sabre. The former captain of Montreal and the Devils has come home. These guys are to play a part in devloping these young guys including Lemieax and Reinhart, the number one pick. Buffalo on paper is no longer a joke. The big problem may be who the goalie will be. For now its between Enroth and Hackett no doubt. Neither are Miller who has landed in Vancouver. There were alot of moves last night. Thomas Vanek went to Minnesota as expected to join Jason Pommenville his former mate in Buffalo. They have a big shot in the West next year, I say them and Vancouver and St Louis can all challenge the Kings and Blackhawks.

Im thinking we signed the wrong Boyle

Zepscoda, did you not read the review in NHL? Dallas and Buffalo got the highest marks. Dallas considered a Cup contender next year and the Sabres are moving fast in the that direction. We got Moulson back, after robbing two teams of high draft picks, and Brian Gionta the home town boy from Rochester. He will likely be the captain here. You guys landed Spezza. Sorry about the Rangers. Truly

I was hoping the Isles would get Moulson back. The team never was the same after that trade. Everyone but Garth Snow knew Vanek would go to Minny as a f/a. He just signed two guys that got @ 50 points between them last year, to "bolster" the offense.

In a small way I feel bad we robbed your arises blind but you won those cups in the 80s so nobody did us any favors. Enjoy those banners because they are the only ones the Isles will ever have. Like the jets you are second fiddle to rangers as they are to giants

Some quick notes from the last few days:

Tampa Bay Lightning have signed free agent forward Brenden Morrow to a one-year contract.

Brandon Dubinsky, the player seen as the face of the rising Columbus Blue Jackets, signed a six-year contract extension worth $35.1 million that will keep him with the club through the 2020-21 season

The Blues re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Steve Ott to a two-year, $5.2 million contract.

Heatley signed a one-year, $1 million contract Wednesday with the Ducks

Some quick notes from the last few days:

Tampa Bay Lightning have signed free agent forward Brenden Morrow to a one-year contract.

Brandon Dubinsky, the player seen as the face of the rising Columbus Blue Jackets, signed a six-year contract extension worth $35.1 million that will keep him with the club through the 2020-21 season

The Blues re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Steve Ott to a two-year, $5.2 million contract.

Heatley signed a one-year, $1 million contract Wednesday with the Ducks

And Brian Gionta and Matt Moulson are now Sabres to help the youth like Reinhart and Claude Lemieau's son develope. Next year's draft we have 3 number ones. But to get McDavid or Eichel we must suck. Now some have told me that the acquisiton of these free agents pretty much assures the Sabres will not be near the worst team? I am not so sure. The question is also, what orders have been given to Ted Nolan. Mine would be, put on a good show and make sure you lose. I know its lame. But its the way they have forced our hand. Its the way they have made the game. What choice do we have? Well, our goaltending alone may assure us of that? I would play musical goalies with Enroth, Nuevirth from Wash and Hackett from the Wild. Enroth is technically the number one as he served very well behind Miller. But everything is different now.

• 2 months later...

Good Morning:

I saw the pre-season game between The Toronto Maple Leafs and The Philadelphia Flyers last eve in London. The Leafs won 3-2 in a shoot-out.

The first two periods were boring so I left and watched the rest of the game at a pub. While at the game people were constantly getting out of and returning to their seats to go for a drink, food etc.This blocked my view which made me mad. James Reimer was not in goal. I do not think Phil Kessel was there also. This also made me mad. Nazem Kadri scored the first goal..This made me happy

Juliet :slapshot: GO LEAFS GO http://www.facebook.com/torontomapleleafs/

I do not look forward to this season one bit. I really do not care. Because I know the Sabres must lose. So succeed they must lose and lose often. I have to hope and it should not take much work, to finish in the bottom two or three. We do have the Islanders first pick also but some believe they may be good. I do not see how. I hope they tank just like us. Then we have a shot in the lottery to land both McDavid and Eichel and then next year its all systems go. But we have to lose now that darcy did what he did and now that he is gone. Murray has to realize this. How do you tell your coach to go out and lose? It is utterly stupid to do anything else. If you are going to trade your whole team away, with the likes of Miller, Vanek, Roy, Pommenville, and more, and you have made the choice to rebuild, like they have, you must go for these three guys they say are goign to be franchise type players. I do not know the name of the third guy but the draft is considered to be one of the deepest in the last twenty years. So Regier in his parting left us with a boatload of draft picks. We have 3 number ones next year. That is something.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the Kings may be the favorite to repeat. We know how tough that can be. So i will give you a couple of other teams to watch out for in all seriousness.

The Minnesota Wild. They are going to be in this thing until the bitter end. They could win it all. they are on dangerous team. Remember that.

St Louis Blues Loaded with talent, and a true contender.

Vancouver Canucks They need the Sedin Twins to return to being a real threat offensively. If that happens with Miller in goal, the sky is the limit. Maybe Ryan Miller is what will take them to the promised land.

San Jose Sharks They are always contenders. Perhaps they have more answers this time around

Anaheim Cannot rule them out

Chicago Blackhawks Always right there and a threat to go all the way

NY Rangers Yes, finally an eastern team. The East is far behind the West. The Rangers may still be the class of the East.

Columbus Blue Jackets My sleeper in the East to make the playoffs and make alot of noise

LA Kings Repeat very possible. But when you have so many gunning for you its tough. And they have to be concerned with injuries that could derail them. But on paper, co favorites with Chicago and Minnesota and St Louis. If anyone can knock the Kings from the thrown, its either Minnesota, St Louis, Chicago or Vancouver

I do not look forward to this season one bit. I really do not care. Because I know the Sabres must lose. So succeed they must lose and lose often. I have to hope and it should not take much work, to finish in the bottom two or three. We do have the Islanders first pick also but some believe they may be good. I do not see how. I hope they tank just like us. Then we have a shot in the lottery to land both McDavid and Eichel and then next year its all systems go. But we have to lose now that darcy did what he did and now that he is gone. Murray has to realize this. How do you tell your coach to go out and lose? It is utterly stupid to do anything else. If you are going to trade your whole team away, with the likes of Miller, Vanek, Roy, Pommenville, and more, and you have made the choice to rebuild, like they have, you must go for these three guys they say are goign to be franchise type players. I do not know the name of the third guy but the draft is considered to be one of the deepest in the last twenty years. So Regier in his parting left us with a boatload of draft picks. We have 3 number ones next year. That is something.

Wait a minute...I thought last season was for tanking? You mean to tell me you expect the Sabres to tank two years in a row? I thought you were crowing last year about all the draft picks Buffalo had accumulated...just how many cotton-picking draft picks do your bums need to rebuild? Maybe they can tank next year too and get even more top draft picks. There's only so much intentional tanking a fan can take.

Just tell me when you expect the Buffalo Sabres to actually try to win.

Wait a minute...I thought last season was for tanking? You mean to tell me you expect the Sabres to tank two years in a row? I thought you were crowing last year about all the draft picks Buffalo had accumulated...just how many cotton-picking draft picks do your bums need to rebuild? Maybe they can tank next year too and get even more top draft picks. There's only so much intentional tanking a fan can take.

Just tell me when you expect the Buffalo Sabres to actually try to win.

Next year is the deepest draft in 20 years. McDavid and Eichel are two of the top 3 franchise players. We got two of those picks this past year by trading Vanek and Miller. We have the Islanders and Wild's number one pick and our own in this rich draft next June. That is 3 number ones!!!! That is as good as it gets. And a couple two's also. Loaded. So yes. Must tank

Anyone besides Strider and me who have favorite teams playing tonight?

C A P S Caps Caps Caps

Or something... :)

They don't open till tomorrow though. And I won't really start paying attention until, well, I don't really know. :D

Blue Shirts open tomorrow @ St Louis

This is a great matchup that they should have saved for mid season when teams have their games going. One of many possible Cup previews. Should be a good game. I believe the Blues are a little deeper but the Rangers have Lundquist, an edge for them

Welllll...that's one way to start a season. Sharks blank the Kings 4-0 in the Kings Home Opener and Stanley Cup Banner Ceremony. The Kings added a neat little twist to the ceremony too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/la-kings-lower-stanley-cup-from-rafters-during-banner-raising-ceremony--video-032357297.html

I am not going to panic after one game...besides, it almost seems common these days that the team raising a championship banner then goes on to lose the game.

Welllll...that's one way to start a season. Sharks blank the Kings 4-0 in the Kings Home Opener and Stanley Cup Banner Ceremony. The Kings added a neat little twist to the ceremony too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/la-kings-lower-stanley-cup-from-rafters-during-banner-raising-ceremony--video-032357297.html

I am not going to panic after one game...besides, it almost seems common these days that the team raising a championship banner then goes on to lose the game.

You are correct. Its called the Stanley Cup hangover. Its hard to motivate a team that just won. Chicago did the same thing. So many teams have over the years. That is why its so hard to repeat. Its hard to really get that drive that you had before you won. I rather like the Wild's chances. But I am not counting the Kings out over one game either. Nor am I counting the Sharks out. I can see many teams in the West winning the Cup. I can see only the Rangers pulling off an upset in the finals in the East. But unlikely. I believe that either Minnesota, St Louis, Vancouver, LA, San Jose or Chicago wins the Cup. I know its a long list. But its narrow in ways too

Got the Stars game on now....It's strange seeing Brad Richards as a Blackhawk

I did not realize this. How the hell do they stay under the Cap? It makes no sense to me. Dallas is going to be tough. And the Wild are too and might be my pick to win it all. St Louis must be considered and of course the Kings and I believe the Canucks. The West is far better again. The Rangers to me are the best in the East even though some will believe Boston or Pittsburgh are.

Archived