JP Interview (9-3-14)

sam_webmaster

Look for a Robert and Jimmy Project in 2015. All signs are pointing toward that collaboration.

Robert's latest album has a sense of finality and Jimmy is on the hook once again through his

own tongue.

I think it's time.

No disrespect intended my friend, but the signs that I have seen are 1) continual sniping back and forth in the media, 2) a failure to collaborate on the press releases of the new LZ releases, 3) a chasm in their personal relationship that has never been bigger, 4) and Robert talking about working with Jack White in the future. No, I don't see it happening, but I wish I was wrong. Besides, isn't Jimmy working on that collaborartion with Tina Turner that was announced in April? ;)

Well this Plant quote is from an interview published yesterday, and it struck me that there's a reason Jimmy's been waiting, perhaps even expecting a Zep reunion since 2007:

"I mean, I told them I was busy and they'd simply have to wait. I would come around eventually, which they were fine with - at least to my knowledge. But it turns out they weren't…"

That quote sounds pretty definitive. Easy for me to imagine that Page was okay with waiting for a few years to resume working together, but now it's been 7 years and he's 70 and Plant never "came around". I understand where Plant's coming from, but I also understand why Jimmy seems to feel burned.

Jimmy's got more excuses than a grade school student for not getting on with his own assignments. Plant never came around? Left them hanging? Then what the hell do you call this:

Official Statement issued September 29, 2008:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are currently touring the USA on the last leg of their ‘Raising Sand’ tour. They played a benefit concert in Oklahoma City for victims of Hurricane Ike last Friday; Austin,Texas last Saturday and tomorrow they play Portland, Oregon before finishing the tour in Saratoga, California on October 5th.

After those dates, Robert has no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years. Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin. Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets.

"It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward", Robert Plant said.

"I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects", he added.

Robert Plant excerpt from from Rolling Stone Magazine

The singer even mentions a failed attempt at collaborating with his former bandmate in an acoustic format. "A couple of years ago, I said, 'If you've got anything acoustic, let me know. I'll give it a whirl. It was hands across the water. He just walked away. But we couldn't do anything proper. The weight of expectation is too great."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robert-plant-disappointed-in-jimmy-page-and-led-zep-reunion-rumors-20140730

Personally, I agree they probably won't work together again.. The quote above looks like another "me and you and No John Paul Jones" offer from Robert. I am glad Jimmy walked away from that.. I watched the acoustic Earls Court footage the other day and it was absolutely incredible. john Paul was vital to it..

As far as Jimmy doing a solo project.. I believe he is sincere and wants to get something going. I don't think he is stringing us along like others here seem to .. at least not intentionally. I am not blindly holding my breath either..

I can't help but think that the chemistry between the three remaining band-mates is at a partularly low point right now. It's risen and fallen over the years, but I feel that right now, it's not good. Whether Plant was genuinely biding his time following the O2 show or not, I think that round of replacement singer auditions got him angry. Perhaps it was just a ruse by Jimmy to somehow get Plant's attention, in the same way he did with his David Coverdale episode? Jimmy really only has one objective and that's a Zeppelin tour. Anything less, such as an "accoustic format", and he's just going to walk away. Jimmy probably holds his tongue whenever Plant issues these wishy-washy statements, or even flat-out refusals, as he knows that if he told Plant what he really thought of him, it would slam the door shut for good. JPJ seems to have the attitude of, "I'm happy doing my thing, but if you two ever agree on something about a tour, I'll take your call".

I think that round of replacement singer auditions got him angry. Perhaps it was just a ruse by Jimmy to somehow get Plant's attention, in the same way he did with his David Coverdale episode?

Why would it? He had already made it quite clear to Jimmy (privately) that he wasn't going to be joining them before the first vocalist was brought in. When Myles Kennedy was brought in it wasn't even Jimmy's idea, it was Jason's.

Jimmy is old and frail, his chops on guitar are non existent, it would take him a long time at this point to get back into playing shape, work that I don't personally feel he wants to do at this point if it's not Led Zeppelin.

MAYBE he'll release a solo record of weird sounds or something, but Jimmy is a spent force musically and creatively, and it makes me sad but I have come to terms with it.

Jimmy is old and frail, his chops on guitar are non existent, it would take him a long time at this point to get back into playing shape, work that I don't personally feel he wants to do at this point if it's not Led Zeppelin.

MAYBE he'll release a solo record of weird sounds or something, but Jimmy is a spent force musically and creatively, and it makes me sad but I have come to terms with it.

That is the most ridiculous statement I have seen on this forum…Whenever people start saying he can't play anymore, he does something like this to shut them up for a few more years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCgGvZAvRE

That is the most ridiculous statement I have seen on this forum…Whenever people start saying he can't play anymore, he does something like this to shut them up for a few more years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCgGvZAvRE

^^^

He can play but that particular example was recorded more than six years ago.

I stand by my comments. Let me ask ONE question:

Why won't Jimmy get on stage and jam with anyone? He's rebuffed Jeff Beck, Paul Rodgers, tried to avoid playing a solo with the Black Crowes, didn't take a lead at the RnR Hall Fame jam, the list goes on and on.

It tells me he has "gone off the boil" and doesn't really have his chops together and knows it.

Then truth hurts, but it's out there if you want to see it.

I stand by my comments. Let me ask ONE question:

Why won't Jimmy get on stage and jam with anyone? He's rebuffed Jeff Beck, Paul Rodgers, tried to avoid playing a solo with the Black Crowes, didn't take a lead at the RnR Hall Fame jam, the list goes on and on.

It tells me he has "gone off the boil" and doesn't really have his chops together and knows it.

Then truth hurts, but it's out there if you want to see it.

You really must have been a fly on the wall in all these situations, yes?

Hey, maybe you're right. Or maybe Jimmy, being the perfectionist he is, just prefers a lot of rehearsal before doing anything grand because he knows he isn't 25 anymore and doesn't wanna be looked at as the "aging and degrading guitarist," if he makes some kind of mess up, as we all are prone to.

Who cares really? Just wait and see. It's in Jimmy's hands.

You really must have been a fly on the wall in all these situations, yes?

Hey, maybe you're right. Or maybe Jimmy, being the perfectionist he is, just prefers a lot of rehearsal before doing anything grand because he knows he isn't 25 anymore and doesn't wanna be looked at as the "aging and degrading guitarist," if he makes some kind of mess up, as we all are prone to.

Who cares really? Just wait and see. It's in Jimmy's hands.

I couldn't agree more.. Excellent! Imagine being rusty and trading licks with Jeff Beck! People would burn him at the stake. He doesn't need it.

i work with a bunch of older people, and they think differently than younger people. i do think that perhaps the book, and the remaster project, represent Mr Page getting his affairs in order.

now that these projects are done, then maybe there is time to do something fun and go play.

-m

I couldn't agree more.. Excellent! Imagine being rusty and trading licks with Jeff Beck! People would burn him at the stake. He doesn't need it.

Hi all,

Not a hit on anyone from MPOV,.....who inducted Jeff in the RR HOF? Page.Jeff Beck could have asked anyone to do it.Rod,Clapton,etc.

I think it's great that all the legends are still out there playing,so I ask you this: what does Page have to prove?Nothing.The 'argument' is he talks about new music.

Now let's have a party:

Archived