JP Interview (9-3-14)

sam_webmaster

I own the orginal, as well and know its content.

You are correct, Steve. Jimmy did not have to take time to add to an already stunning book.

My apologies aen27, love to brag that I own the original is all, maybe lesson to be learned, anyway happy you got one!

post-11164-0-60866100-1410246241.png

Yes, of course he is because after five decades in the music business he wants to go out as Ringo's guitarist. C'mon, Neal. Even if he merely wanted to play before an audience he had two golden opportunites to do so in Japan when he was hanging out with Jeff Beck.

Nothing -- and Jeff called him chicken for it!

Sorry, Steve, that was a light-hearted joke right before I turned the bedroom light off. I saw the picture of him and Ringo and that image came to me.

I'm convinced that the only way Jimmy would tour is if he can draw enough people to an arena setting, and the only way he could do that these days minus Zep is with Jeff Beck. They'd each play a solo set of their own and then get together for a dual one. I'd pay a premium to see it and so would you.

I'm convinced that the only way Jimmy would tour is if he can draw enough people to an arena setting, and the only way he could do that these days minus Zep is with Jeff Beck. They'd each play a solo set of their own and then get together for a dual one. I'd pay a premium to see it and so would you.

I hope you're wrong.. There's no shame in playing 2000+ seat theaters at all.

I'd love to see a Beck Page double bill as much as you would.

Talking of Jeff Beck, don't rule out the possibility of a revamped Yardbirds tour featuring Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. This rumor has been circulating for a while now. If this were to happen, there would likely be Zep content in the same way that the Black Crowes did it with Jimmy.

Talking of Jeff Beck, don't rule out the possibility of a revamped Yardbirds tour featuring Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. This rumor has been circulating for a while now. If this were to happen, there would likely be Zep content in the same way that the Black Crowes did it with Jimmy.

There will never be another Yardbirds tour featuring Jimmy Page.

I'm well entrenched in the camp that believes he's been saying this exact thing every year for the last eight years. It's always this time of the year and it's always a project that he can't talk about. I can understand him not recording and touring, but to completely give up playing is quite frustrating for the fans. If he's basically retired then go out with a bang...he can have one or two shows with the greatest musicians backing him as well as a group of the most iconic singers...playing Zeppelin as well as the iconic songs that he played on before Zeppelin and any other songs that he cherishes. Let the world celebrate the legend of Jimmy Page..take a page from Derek Jeter.

Well a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN keeps interrupting Page's other projects. Now that the remastered projects are done and Celebration Day is released, it's time for Page to focus on his solo work. I believe he is determined this time to get out there. Plant is prodding him to do it. He keeps saying it is going to happen. I'm pretty optimistic.

I'm not afraid to acknowledge that Jimmy's motivation is very different from both JPJ and Robert. JPJ and Robert are the consumate artists, driven by their craft and the quest for new horizons. Yes, they incorporate some fan favorites into their respective live performances, but those are typically done with a new twist and the overall theme is one of ever onwards. It's a rare quality in musicians of their age and fame, most of whom are out there on the nostalgia circuit, making a comfortable living.

Jimmy, on the other hand, is really only interested in Led Zeppelin. It's what made him rich and famous, and although he's done some solo stuff since Zeppelin, it didn't really catch fire and gets little to no radio play. The CDs went quickly into the bargain bins at record stores. It's no secret that Jimmy is, and always has been, motivated by money. He must surely be depressed at the figures banded about regarding the post O2 Zeppelin reunion tour. With modern corporate sponsorship and deluxe seating, estimates are it would have been bigger than anything The Stones or U2 did. So, his only alternative, from a Led Zeppelin perspective, is re-releasing the catalogue, again, under the guise of yet another remastering (along with some bonus material). In my opinion, and yes, I have bought the first three sets, is that unless you possess some high-end audio equipment, the enhancements on the studio albums are barely noticeable. With most people converting the tracks for use on their portable devices, the songs are no different to the last remastering. As for the bonus material, all but the die-hard fans will probably give it one playing, tops.

I sincerely hope that Jimmy does manage to play live again in whatever capacity he can. Somehow, I think the promises will end up being bigger than the actual happening. I'm really not looking to bash Jimmy, but rather give my opinion on his motivations based upon the public record.

Jimmy's going to play next year. Gut feeling. He sounds more definitive then in years past (and, yes, I know we've heard this many times before from him!)

My take from his most recent interviews; he seems to know that his time is running out and that the time is now to get out there.

I hope whatever he does, however, it's not some parody of once was. He's an intelligent man with a great gift....Surprise us!

Jimmy doesn't want to close the door on his career, but he also has no real interest in being a rock star again, apart from Led Zeppelin. He keeps the door open by making broad statements that give him lots of wiggle room, but he has resisted getting back on the treadmill. He is happy being Jimmy Page: the socialite; the impassioned record collector; and the curator of the Led Zeppelin legacy, and thats okay. He just needs to be honest about it. He owes us nothing, despite our desire for more.

The Dark Lord,

Perhaps it is because Jimmy never left Led Zeppelin? Perhaps in his mind they were taking a break while they dealt with the loss of John Bonham as individulas? Perhaps he doesn't like being told that his band was no longer going to be an existing active band? Again, I have no idea, just throwing that out there. Perhaps he honestly felt that after the O2 gig there was no reason for them not to being recording music again as a unit?

The Dark Lord,

Perhaps it is because Jimmy never left Led Zeppelin? Perhaps in his mind they were taking a break while they dealt with the loss of John Bonham as individulas? Perhaps he doesn't like being told that his band was no longer going to be an existing active band? Again, I have no idea, just throwing that out there. Perhaps he honestly felt that after the O2 gig there was no reason for them not to being recording music again as a unit?

The disbandment statement of December 4, 1980 is oblique but does make it clear they had all decided they could not continue as they were. However, as time went on It was Page of course who pushed for Led Zeppelin reformations in '86, '90 & '08, which does suggest he's had longstanding discontentment without Led Zeppelin. This isn't news to anyone, is it? I would hope not. I will say this, were it not for that one concert in 2007 most people would have ceased expecting anything else from him at least ten years ago. However, what's done is done, so since that concert he'll keep alluding to having an unfulfilled artistic vision and some of the fans will keep believing it no matter how many more times it is said. It's so tired and played out.

The whole will-they-won't-they subject has been alive since their disbandment notice. The public demand is still massive, some 32 years later, and concert promotors have said that a tour would blow away any records set by U2 and The Rolling Stones.

The one and only obstacle to a full reunion tour is Robert. Jonesy gives signals that he'd always be up for it, but from what I read, he seems to have finally accepted that it will never happen, and has moved on. Jimmy appears to have spent his last 32 years trying to relaunch the beast. In some ways, I feel sorry for him. If Robert had maintained an emphatic resusal to reunite thoughout those 32 years, I'd say that Jimmy had been foolishly wasting his energy and time, but it hasn't been that way. Robert has been a confusing figure during this time, and whether he has waivered or not in the decision to re-form, he has certainly created a very confusing set of perceptions by fans, the media, and Jimmy. First of all, there have been the "reunions", the one-off shows (Live Aid, Atlantic, and O2). Then there was the Page-Plant era that produced two albums and two world tours (the second of which was a full-on Zep show). Then there's the introduction of Zep songs in his solo shows after an initial period of refusing to do them. Then, there's his media comments, most particularly his "I have nothing on my calendar next year" when responding to a Zep tour question a couple of years ago. Perhaps the guy has come close once or twice over the years in re-forming, but I think it's correct to say that he's not exactly been consistent in his message. I sometimes think that he gets a little perverse pleasure in fucking with Jimmy and the media. So my point is that Jimmy's quest to relaunch has no doubt been the result of getting these mixed signals from Robert.

The whole will-they-won't-they subject has been alive since their disbandment notice. The public demand is still massive, some 32 years later, and concert promotors have said that a tour would blow away any records set by U2 and The Rolling Stones.

The one and only obstacle to a full reunion tour is Robert. Jonesy gives signals that he'd always be up for it, but from what I read, he seems to have finally accepted that it will never happen, and has moved on. Jimmy appears to have spent his last 32 years trying to relaunch the beast. In some ways, I feel sorry for him. If Robert had maintained an emphatic resusal to reunite thoughout those 32 years, I'd say that Jimmy had been foolishly wasting his energy and time, but it hasn't been that way. Robert has been a confusing figure during this time, and whether he has waivered or not in the decision to re-form, he has certainly created a very confusing set of perceptions by fans, the media, and Jimmy. First of all, there have been the "reunions", the one-off shows (Live Aid, Atlantic, and O2). Then there was the Page-Plant era that produced two albums and two world tours (the second of which was a full-on Zep show). Then there's the introduction of Zep songs in his solo shows after an initial period of refusing to do them. Then, there's his media comments, most particularly his "I have nothing on my calendar next year" when responding to a Zep tour question a couple of years ago. Perhaps the guy has come close once or twice over the years in re-forming, but I think it's correct to say that he's not exactly been consistent in his message. I sometimes think that he gets a little perverse pleasure in fucking with Jimmy and the media. So my point is that Jimmy's quest to relaunch has no doubt been the result of getting these mixed signals from Robert.

Well this Plant quote is from an interview published yesterday, and it struck me that there's a reason Jimmy's been waiting, perhaps even expecting a Zep reunion since 2007:

"I mean, I told them I was busy and they'd simply have to wait. I would come around eventually, which they were fine with - at least to my knowledge. But it turns out they weren't…"

That quote sounds pretty definitive. Easy for me to imagine that Page was okay with waiting for a few years to resume working together, but now it's been 7 years and he's 70 and Plant never "came around". I understand where Plant's coming from, but I also understand why Jimmy seems to feel burned.

My interpretation of this latest quote is he told them he would come around eventually, which they appeared to be okay with, but it turns out they weren't. The key being the last bit, I'm assuming he's referring to the attempt to come up with a replacement singer, like Steve Tyler. I get the impression that he felt slighted by this and the deal is now off the table.

My interpretation of this latest quote is he told them he would come around eventually, which they appeared to be okay with, but it turns out they weren't. The key being the last bit, I'm assuming he's referring to the attempt to come up with a replacement singer, like Steve Tyler. I get the impression that he felt slighted by this and the deal is now off the table.

Interesting thought. Perhaps you are right. Not that Percy doesn't take a poke at anyone in his sites, any opportunity he gets.

Archived