JP Interview (9-3-14)

sam_webmaster

Playing live next year. That's interesting. It seems to me that he's finally accepted that there will be no more Led Zeppelin reunions after all these years of trying. I think he could pull off a very impressive solo show along with a backing band.

Playing live next year. That's interesting. It seems to me that he's finally accepted that there will be no more Led Zeppelin reunions after all these years of trying. I think he could pull off a very impressive solo show along with a backing band.

That remark caught my attention too. Finally it seems Jimmy realizes he needs to do his own things. Seems like good news, hope whatever Jimmy is working on, is interesting....

It's hard to tell by his body language. Jimmy has always been somewhat uncomfortable in public interview situations. He is the ultimate showman in front of a stadium full of people, yet always does that nervous nose scratching in front of one guy and a microphone.

Thanks for sharing, Sam! Jimmy Page...greatest smile ever!! :)

I'm hopeful about Jimmy playing next year, would jump through many hoops to see him!! Looking forward to the book release...nice touch to update it with recent photos.

I would too, especially since I can't make the ones coming up. I also am very much looking forward to both.

It's hard to tell by his body language. Jimmy has always been somewhat uncomfortable in public interview situations. He is the ultimate showman in front of a stadium full of people, yet always does that nervous nose scratching in front of one guy and a microphone.

I notice that too.

I am so hopeful about that. I think he knows its time. I am so impressed that he added to the new book. He said goes through Berklee. The orginal book only goes to It Might Get Loud.

It might only go to "It Might Get Loud" but it was handled and signed by the man himself, and the quality of materials used is exquisite, nice try aen27 thinking you're winning with the new book, hey I'd be envious to missing out on the original limited edition, seriously to own the original is something to behold, you just have to see it for yourself to understand……Don't shoot me!

post-11164-0-00106000-1410187106_thumb.j

Yeah, he does but I'm not really referring to that. It's the eyes. When someone makes a statement and the eyes move down and to the right it usually means they are "talking to themselves". So in this case, I suggest he seems to be seeking some positive affirmation of it within himself. I do wish him well.

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php

It might only go to "It Might Get Loud" but it was handled and signed by the man himself, and the quality of materials used is exquisite, nice try aen27 thinking you're winning with the new book, hey I'd be envious to missing out on the original limited edition, seriously to own the original is something to behold, you just have to see it for yourself to understand……Don't shoot me!

I think the point Aen's making is she's impressed Jimmy's taken the time to add additional content so there is something new and of interest for everyone, even for those of us who already own an original.

It might only go to "It Might Get Loud" but it was handled and signed by the man himself, and the quality of materials used is exquisite, nice try aen27 thinking you're winning with the new book, hey I'd be envious to missing out on the original limited edition, seriously to own the original is something to behold, you just have to see it for yourself to understandDon't shoot me

attachicon.gifjimmy-page-signed-limited-edition-book.jpg

I own the orginal, as well and know its content.

I think the point Aen's making is she's impressed Jimmy's taken the time to add additional content so there is something new and of interest for everyone, even for those of us who already own an original.

You are correct, Steve. Jimmy did not have to take time to add to an already stunning book.

I'm very sorry, but I put no weight on Jimmy's statement about playing next year. His non verbal cues clearly indicated discomfort and / or deception. I would like to believe that he was being truthful, but he has been saying the exact same thing for 8 years now. He purposely avoids discussing what his ambitions would look like as he likely has no concrete ideas himself. He says that he will be working toward playing next year, which is far from a concrete commitment. Let us not forget his press statement at the start of 2014, in which he stated that this year would see him "unleash new material". I love the man. but there will be no new material from Jimmy next year. If he does "play", it will be an impromptu stage jam, by invitation, from an old friend like Beck. To get excited about 2015 is to set oneself up for disappointment.

From a simple logistics perspective, if Jimmy was to release a new album next year, he would already have to have assembled a band, and made some steps toward the recording process. A new band would certainly have hit the rumor mill by now. This isn't 1968 anymore, where a bunch of strangers can get together, bang off an album, release it, and go on tour in 6 months.

Jimmy doesn't want to close the door on his career, but he also has no real interest in being a rock star again, apart from Led Zeppelin. He keeps the door open by making broad statements that give him lots of wiggle room, but he has resisted getting back on the treadmill. He is happy being Jimmy Page: the socialite; the impassioned record collector; and the curator of the Led Zeppelin legacy, and thats okay. He just needs to be honest about it. He owes us nothing, despite our desire for more.

I think Jimmy's "next year" statement is up for a little interpretation. His earlier 2014 statement about "new material" appears now to have been the deluxe releases. To him, "new material" is the disc 2 stuff. No, it's not new material in the true sense of what we expect, but at a stretch, it's still new and previously unreleased material.

I really don't think that Jimmy has any plans whatsoever to release actual new material should his statement about performing next year be true. He knows that his crowd-pulling power is all in the existing Zep catalogue and I believe he will perform exactly that. He can very easily get a backing band together to perform this stuff, with the only sensitive issue being a singer. Jason would drop whatever he might be doing to play drums. This would add some extra Zep currency. I think JPJ would be a 50-50 proposition depending upon his mood and commitments. Perhaps Jimmy can do a completely instrumental performance in the same style in which JPJ did his Zooma tour?

I think Jimmy's "next year" statement is up for a little interpretation. His earlier 2014 statement about "new material" appears now to have been the deluxe releases. To him, "new material" is the disc 2 stuff. No, it's not new material in the true sense of what we expect, but at a stretch, it's still new and previously unreleased material.

My apologies, but I don't see it that way. Below is his quote from Jimmypage.com re new material being unleashed in 2014. If he can't deliver on old solo archive material, as suggested, then real new material seems beyond the realm of comprehension, IMHO:

It's good news for the New Year. The first of the Led Zeppelin releases - comprising of Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and their companion discs - will be released this year. "I've also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014."

I'm sorry but I do not see anything indicating that Jimmy is uncomfortable or making deceptive or unsure statements. In fact is looks rather comfortable. He has only done hundreds of these interviews.I will take him at his word and expect him to be playing next year. I can't wait! Looking forward to the new book too. I was crushed that the last one sold out before I even heard he did one. Yes, the lucky 2500. Don't blame you for bragging just a wee bit of that acquisition! I agree with a poster here - greatest smile ever. Looking good Jimmy, yes you are.

My apologies, but I don't see it that way. Below is his quote from Jimmypage.com re new material being unleashed in 2014. If he can't deliver on old solo archive material, as suggested, then real new material seems beyond the realm of comprehension, IMHO:

It's good news for the New Year. The first of the Led Zeppelin releases - comprising of Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and their companion discs - will be released this year. "I've also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014."

Jimmy is notorious for delays. I think he is a perfectionist and oversees every detail of a project.

Jimmy is notorious for delays. I think he is a perfectionist and oversees every detail of a project.

Right. So, he's completed that solo album he announced in 2006, and we are just waiting for him to get the details perfect? It is certainly your prerogative to take him at his word, but I need no more proof of his intentions than the past 8 years of inactivity. I'm not prepared to put any stock in a 2014 interview response, that has been recycled every year of the past 8. I hope you are right, but I sadly doubt it. Jimmy is a master at keeping his stock alive in the public eye; this is just part of his script. As the saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". I love the man, and I don't think he is a liar by any means; I do think that he is extremely non committal, and not prepared to move forward on this, even though a small part of him would like to. Thus he keeps the door open. If he knew in his heart that new material was 100% beyond the realm of possibility, he would not make unfulfilled media statements, year after year, and risk losing his credibility. He wants to, but he won't.

Jimmy doesn't want to close the door on his career, but he also has no real interest in being a rock star again, apart from Led Zeppelin. He keeps the door open by making broad statements that give him lots of wiggle room, but he has resisted getting back on the treadmill. He is happy being Jimmy Page: the socialite; the impassioned record collector; and the curator of the Led Zeppelin legacy, and thats okay. He just needs to be honest about it. He owes us nothing, despite our desire for more.

^ Yes.

I wonder if it's less about not being honest with fans and more about self-deception. I imagine it's quite difficult to give up one's life identity and purpose or to accept that the creativity that remains does not equal what came before. His endless yearning for collaboration with Robert Plant might also be a part of it.

You're correct, he owes us nothing - he's already given us timeless masterpieces. It's enough for me.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but right when he started talking about playing live next year, he suddenly looked very antsy to get out of that question to me. The whole interview he seemed very calm and took his time with answering; but when he went to answer that question, he started cutting himself off and being very itchy to answer it without "answering" it. He was talking very quickly and, like at 4:30, he looks like he was going to say something that would've explained his reason for wanting to play again, then stops himself. This could really go two ways IMO:

1.) Jimmy's got something big he's keeping a secret and stopped himself from revealing something. He was trying to find an out of that question because he didn't want to reveal anything by accident.

2.) (What the majority here believes) Jimmy doesn't really have anything specifically planned and he is just saying this like, as TheDarkLord said, for the past 8 years with nothing happening so far. He wanted to get out of the question because he didn't want to get into too much detail of something that most likely isn't going to happen, and he didn't want to get himself put in a corner.

Again, this is totally my opinion and I could be completely off, just my 2 cents.

I really don't think that Jimmy has any plans whatsoever to release actual new material should his statement about performing next year be true. He knows that his crowd-pulling power is all in the existing Zep catalogue and I believe he will perform exactly that. He can very easily get a backing band together to perform this stuff, with the only sensitive issue being a singer. Jason would drop whatever he might be doing to play drums. This would add some extra Zep currency. I think JPJ would be a 50-50 proposition depending upon his mood and commitments. Perhaps Jimmy can do a completely instrumental performance in the same style in which JPJ did his Zooma tour?

Jimmy already tried working on his own with JPJ & Jason seven years ago and it amounted to nothing. It has been game over since then and it would be better for everyone concerned if he'd just let it go. Christ, launching his website was an excuse for solo inactivity on stage and in studio. If you really want to see a 70 year old Jimmy throw together a pick up band and bang out the golden oldies ala Chuck Berry more power to you, but I don't as those desperate arrangements are seldom dignified. I prefer to remember him as a gunslinger.

Maybe he's going on the road as a member of Ringo's All Starr Band?

Yes, of course he is because after five decades in the music business he wants to go out as Ringo's guitarist. C'mon, Neal. Even if he merely wanted to play before an audience he had two golden opportunites to do so in Japan when he was hanging out with Jeff Beck.

Nothing -- and Jeff called him chicken for it!

Archived