6/23/77 40 Minute Version of No Quarter ?

ZoSo925

I've been looking and requesting on Usenet a good 14+ years and can't seem to find a 40 minute version of No Quarter.

There were so many different bootleg sources, but according to Led Zeppelin Live Books (Out of Print) here is what the books says

JUNE 23, 1977

THE FORUM, INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.

Approximate Length: 190 minutes (complete show)

Comments: A legendary concert. A superb performance mixed with surprises. "It is indeed a pleasure to be back for the third night," says Plant, reminding us that they're at 'home' again. Plant sets off the riot with his patented ""Oh, Jimmy!'s and "what an excuse!" as Page boasts the flashy solo of Nobody's Fault But Mine.

But the big revelation is undoubtedly the best-ever version of No Quarter. 40 minutes of very inspired tight-but-loose excercises. Jones starts with a very unique introduction of the piano concerto, playing an incredible blend of synthesized, wah--wah distored keyboards; you will never hear this version again. The three-way improvisation is absolute perfection. Every space is filled with intersecting instruments playing every conceivable riff in endless crescendos, renewed just when we thing it's over! No self-indulgence anymore; we have three leaders here, no one trying to outshine the other. The perfect group! The drama culminates with Page's very high sustained notes linking the undulating, powerful vocal outbursts. The audience is breathless!

Book also mentions Keith Moon played this show date also.

That is great quality, thanks. It always stuck in my mind if there was ever a 40 minute version. This seems like the same version I've come across few times and maybe seen the audio meter report 33 minutes, but forget.

Sue is correct...although I would have no problem whatsoever with a fourty minute version of "No Quarter"!

I wonder whatever happened to the guy who claimed he had the unmarked/uncut Millard tape from 27-3-75 with the "fourty seven minute" "Dazed And Confused"... :hysterical:

The longest No Quarter is from the night before, and it's 35 minutes. A lot publications seem to have a nasty habit of exaggerating the lengths of the longer songs.

Track times are often confusing because different labels will cut the tracks differently. Some will leave Plant's introductory and conclusionary comments where they belong at the beginning and end of the track. Some will attach his end comments of the previous track to the intro for the next one which will inflate the overall track time and others will eliminate Plant altogether.

For the 22nd, the actual running time from the first note to the end of the last note of NQ is 33:48s, the 23rd NQ is 30:15s . Dazed and Confused from march 21st 1975 is 40:05s exact playing time give or take 1 or 2 seconds.

So if you want to know the actual playing time for these monster tracks you have to measure from the first note to the last note to get the actual playing time with no comments inflating the running time.

Example, the master tape for the March 27th show from LA lists D&C as being 45min 12 seconds. The actual playing time from first note to last is 43:47 without any of plants comments making this the longest version of Dazed.

That's what I was thinking the person was including Plant talking comments before and after the song. I think someone mentioned to me a while ago the tape reel speed may have reported it wrong also possibly.

There is a cut in the Dazed from 1975/03/27. I have the Winston version of the 1st gen unmarked tape that uses an alternate source to fill the cut. From beginning to end the song's running time is 44:48.

Nice catch, I have 9 different versions 4 bootleg 5 source one versions, one of which is patched. I should have used that version.

Nice avatar ! I looks like Fujiko Mine from the lupin series?

That is fucking insane, when you think on it. Physical Graffiti aside, 44:48 is longer than any of Zeppelin's studio albums!

I never noticed that. That's pretty kool now that I think about it.

Nice avatar ! I looks like Fujiko Mine from the lupin series?

Yeah it is. I've been getting way into Lupin III lately. The first series is really really good for an anime from the '70's. Thanks for noticing!

That is fucking insane, when you think on it. Physical Graffiti aside, 44:48 is longer than any of Zeppelin's studio albums!

I never noticed that. That's pretty kool now that I think about it.

Or consider this: The Beatles in their heyday priding themselves on being on and off the fucking stage in less than half an hour! Right about when Page and Bonham would be going into the "Mars, Bringer Of War" section of D & C, am I right? Shit, I remember reading about Keith Richards bitching that when the Stones toured in '69 that they actually had to play for a whole hour and a half...that'd be like "No Quarter", "Moby Dick" and Page's Noise Solo at an L.A. '77 show!

Or consider this: The Beatles in their heyday priding themselves on being on and off the fucking stage in less than half an hour! Right about when Page and Bonham would be going into the "Mars, Bringer Of War" section of D & C, am I right? Shit, I remember reading about Keith Richards bitching that when the Stones toured in '69 that they actually had to play for a whole hour and a half...that'd be like "No Quarter", "Moby Dick" and Page's Noise Solo at an L.A. '77 show!

Even Queen didnt play for as long as Zep. Their average was 95 minutes, which isn't bad, but they played more songs in that time. Their longest show was 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Even Queen didnt play for as long as Zep. Their average was 95 minutes, which isn't bad, but they played more songs in that time. Their longest show was 2 hours and 20 minutes.

The only bands that I can think off the top of my head that played as long as Zep were/are: The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Very few bands can play long shows, even fewer can play long shows which are different every night! Led Zeppelin were among the best at that, Grateful Dead did it (with a DIFFERENT set list every night), Frank Zappa and the Allman Brothers come to mind too.

Very few bands can play long shows, even fewer can play long shows which are different every night! Led Zeppelin were among the best at that,

Funny thing is, by 1975/1977 -the era of Zeppelin's most epic performances- they were the least spontaneous of Zep's career. Sure, Page generally played different solos each night, but when it came to actual band jamming, as I've said in other discussions, the three or four minute "Boogie Jams" in the 1977 "No Quarter"'s were about as spontaneous as those shows got. We are certainly not talking about something along the lines of The Dead basically going onstage without a setlist. Let's face it, give a Zeppelin novice who is not a fanatic about the '75 or '77 tours one show from each tour (say, 21-3-75 and 21-6-77) and they'd pretty much be good to go. I mean, we're not talking about somebody like Paul McCartney where every note of every song and every word of between song banter per three hour show is 100% scripted night after night, but, connoisseurs aside, when it comes to the good 1977 Zeppelin shows, you won't find a helluva lot of variety. Hell, I used to do my annual thing of listening to the '77 gigs on the performance date, but I gave it up this year...the shows just seemed to get too repetitive (I made through the first leg of the tour, and that was about it!). My hat does go off to guys like that Fritz chap (he who did the "Year Of Led Zeppelin" thing a couple years back) for being able to listen to every single performance and still manage to remain objective about each one...my head would explode, I reckon :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

There is a cut in the Dazed from 1975/03/27. I have the Winston version of the 1st gen unmarked tape that uses an alternate source to fill the cut. From beginning to end the song's running time is 44:48.

I've heard that version. It's also one of my favorite versions of 'Dazed and Confused'.

Archived